• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Buying a .308 semi. What do I have to consider other than a SCAR 17?

isnt FN dropping the scar 17?

as for them beating up glass, was that just from cantalevered scope mount?

Last edited:
isnt FN dropping the scar 17?

as for them beating up glass, want that just from cantalevered scope mount?
I tried about every mount and set of rings I could find. My SCAR trashed optics no matter what.

I've tried to like the scar multiple times and I just can't warm up to it.

I'm glad I was able to fire multiple examples prior to purchasing.

I do love my LMT MWS, infact, the MWS was the opposite of the scar... I like it much more than anticipated. I don't shoot suppressed, but if I did, I'd probably use a low back pressure suppressor and a BRT gas tube.

I'd feel very confident hunting with it... If you can deal with the weight.

Reactions: Faronth
Every use case you mentioned puts the SCAR at the bottom of the list. I can't think of any use case in which the SCAR makes any sense other than 'I just want one.' They suck. Seriously, they are horrible. The BEST case scenario with a SCAR gives you an inaccurate brick of a gun that shortens scope lifespans.

I would buy a nice large frame AR, or consider the new sweet cartridges in small-frames like 6ARC. If you want to hunt out West, any real rifle caliber will do that is greater than .223. Some states require .24" bore for hunting larger game, and the external ballistics of .223 in an AR don't match that of 6ARC or 6.5CM.

I have no personal experience, but I've read that the SCAR 17 is hard on optics. So that may be something to consider.

I have an LMT MWS in .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor. Happy with both, but I do not have a suppressor on it. The LMT MWS barrels do not ship with an adjustable gas block, so you are left with swapping buffers and springs to deal with over gassing. I've got a XH carbine buffer on mine. It helped a lot with the over gassing, but does add more reciprocating weight. A BRT EZTune gas tube is next on my list of experiments.

I've heard good things about the DD5M3. A friend of mine says that the recoil impulse is very good. Much better than that of the LMT MWS, especially when suppressed.
The scar is hard on shitty optics and virtually anything made in last 10 to 15 years has been hardened to it.

Nothing really comes close to scar for overall package. They are easy to supress.

Reactions: BCP and Gasgun
Go to each mfg’s web site who’s product you’re considering and check parts availability. Then google that platform searching for parts. That should help make your decision. Fuck having to send a rifle back for end user level maintanence or repairs.

If your budget is under $2k, New or used Armalite all day. A and B series are good guns. Don’t be scared of the B series. Gen 2 B series mags are as good as any and are cheaper than scar, HK, KAC, and Larue. Armalite field repair kits are $60. Complete BCG’s are under $300. Armalite barrels are under $300 and shoot good.

If you have money to burn, get what you want.

Avoid shit tier guns. Shit tier AR15’s are bad. Shit tier large frames are even worse.
Local store has an Armalite 308 --- I should probably screw around with it a bit.

Dont exactly have $ to burn but less concerned with initial price here than getting something I don't sell to chase something else. That gets expensive.

I'll check this out as well, thank you both for posting.

Glad I put this up a couple months before buying, lot more to read.

POF Revolution DI. Going to be much lighter than anything out there, equal to the VSeven stuff, the Ruger and the POF Rogue in terms of weight, and will run like a raped ape. The piston version is more front heavy though. Parts seem readily available. It's truly the size of an AR15. They're 6.7 pounds naked with an adjustable gas block (wide range of adjustment including off, plus really easy to adjust), billet ambi lower, fluted barrel and do really well especially if you hand load. They're making a 6 and 6.5mm Creedmoor version now too as well as .308 in 16.5 and 18.5" barrels (even 12.5" if you want to go short and loose even more weight). Been running mine since 2019 without a hiccup and it's my favorite to actually get behind and shoot.
Another one in the rabbithole stack. Thanks. The LMT sounds amazing, but weight.

The scar is hard on shitty optics and virtually anything made in last 10 to 15 years has been hardened to it.

Nothing really comes close to scar for overall package. They are easy to supress.
Yeah, I just love how my buddy's shoots, that it's light and, at least his, was pretty darned accurate. Felt good in my hands. I also like the folding stock on ar18-ish rifles but I know lots of folks don't care about that.

I've tried to like the scar multiple times and I just can't warm up to it.

I'm glad I was able to fire multiple examples prior to purchasing.

I do love my LMT MWS, infact, the MWS was the opposite of the scar... I like it much more than anticipated. I don't shoot suppressed, but if I did, I'd probably use a low back pressure suppressor and a BRT gas tube.

I'd feel very confident hunting with it... If you can deal with the weight.
I'm a relatively small dude --- 5'9 and ~165 so that probably plays into why I like lighter rifles. Wish I had big enough hands that I could reach the mag release on a 2011 without completely breaking grip : /

I sold my scar17 years ago becuase I divested from 308s but it's hands down the best 308 battle rifle I have owned which has been every platform or top AR made. One in 6.5cm would be tits. Low recoil, light, tunable, lots of aftermarket, reliable. Only real issue I had was with steel cased ammo and CHS. Stick to brass ammo and it's tits.

Reactions: CLEANDEAN
I sold my scar17 years ago becuase I divested from 308s but it's hands down the best 308 battle rifle I have owned which has been every platform or top AR made. One in 6.5cm would be tits. Low recoil, light, tunable, lots of aftermarket, reliable. Only real issue I had was with steel cased ammo and CHS. Stick to brass ammo and it's tits.
Kinda surprised they don't just sell a 17 with a 6.5 barrel...