• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 reload fits ar10's but not a Savage 308 bolt rifle

How to diagnose a problem? Measure and compare.
Here I have measurements showing old brass from one barrel being sized to fit in a new one. Notice the shoulder lengths vary on fitment and I can vary that feel by screwing the die in more or less. BUT the base as well and the base is where my major issues were located. I needed a different die to size the base down that extra .001” to get it to chamber.
IMG_2434.jpeg

rounds shot yesterday I am going to try resizing on my setup. Insufficient sizing by the guy who did these for me appears to be the problem even though they did drop in the Dillon case gauge.

I don’t have a case gauge, only the Hornady headspace comparators, but for certain my Savage 308 will chamber factory rounds, but will not chamber anything sized with a FL Hornady New Dimension die set with the shell holder touching the bottom of the die. My RCBS X die will push the shoulder just enough to work. I’ll have to check the headspace when I get home this weekend.

For a friend. As it turns out the problem rounds came from brass resized by a for profit "pro" who did crap work. As time permits I am going to resize some of these and see if that fixes the problem.

Experience is not an easy thing to acquire at times. When you only have access to other hobby reloaders and online sources which can be more curse then help it becomes trial and error. I am still looking for a competent reloader who would not mind mentoring me a bit here in southern middle Tennessee. I don't know what I don't know if that makes sense.
If it helps, there is a series of five very good articles pinned in the reloading section that have all the basics and many details about how to do it right.
Here’s the first one:

Reactions: MAHLMAN
For a friend. As it turns out the problem rounds came from brass resized by a for profit "pro" who did crap work. As time permits I am going to resize some of these and see if that fixes the problem.

Experience is not an easy thing to acquire at times. When you only have access to other hobby reloaders and online sources which can be more curse then help it becomes trial and error. I am still looking for a competent reloader who would not mind mentoring me a bit here in southern middle Tennessee. I don't know what I don't know if that makes sense.
You could always buy and study (not just read) a legit reloading manual from one of the ammo/component makers like Hornady or Sierra or from one of the reloading equipment makers like Lyman. Then apply your knowledge and some critical thinking.

You'll actually learn more because you'll understand more than if you just spooned knowledge off someone else.

I was leaning towards a Savage chamber problem myself. Can't remember where but it seemed to me I have read they have problems in this area at times.
I've had 2 savage .308s that had very short throats. If you could get the bolt to close, then try to eject it, they'd pull the bullets on 168gr FGGM. Ended up renting a throating reamer to resolve the issue. Other people have sent them back to savage for this and savage says there's no problem.

Reactions: KYAggie
How to diagnose a problem? Measure and compare.
Here I have measurements showing old brass from one barrel being sized to fit in a new one. Notice the shoulder lengths vary on fitment and I can vary that feel by screwing the die in more or less. BUT the base as well and the base is where my major issues were located. I needed a different die to size the base down that extra .001” to get it to chamber.
View attachment 8257632
I ran across this with 9mm glock bulge and another die from Lee for the 9mm Makarov Factory Crimp Die. What die are you using that fixed the problem for you? I am thinking resizing these will make them OK.

I ran across this with 9mm glock bulge and another die from Lee for the 9mm Makarov Factory Crimp Die. What die are you using that fixed the problem for you? I am thinking resizing these will make them OK.
A forster but I don’t shoot 308
A small base will fix it for sure but be harder sizing since it is doing more

I had an issue with 6.5 Creedmoor. I took the top off a .45 ACP. I ground down an extra shell holder I had and ran them through that it fixed most of them. it was a pain in the ass but it did work and certainly not something I will do again.

Don't shoot a 308??? I didn't think that was possible! Heathen indeed! It's like I don't shoot a 223 or .22 LR...or breathing! Doesn't everybody have several 308s?
Here is a box of 1000 sized & primed 308 cases ready to load in one of many rifles, 16, 18, 20, 22, 24, 26, 27, & 30 inch barrels ARs and bolts, twists of 12, 11.25, 10, 9, & 8.
The box is now empty, most of the 1000 cases have been loaded & fired.
These cases fit every 308 auto or bolt I own, about 8 different rifles...just add powder and bullet of choice...100 gr to 250 Atip.

Attachments

• 20220323_194532.jpg
    20220323_194532.jpg
    604.7 KB · Views: 17