• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 Reload Problem - HELP

JSTARSZ

Lefty's Rule
Minuteman
  • Feb 6, 2008
    Wolftown
    I am relatively new to reloading and I have been working with IMI Brass (Once fired), Fed 210M Primers, WIN 748 Powder (43.5 GR) in a Sierra 168SMK Bullet at 2.8 COAL in a Dillon 550b. I have used this load in new casings and it works fine so it has to be in the process of using once fired casings.

I am testing the rounds and when I shoot the round the casing gets stuck in the chamber. I have to hit it with a rubber mallet (not hard) to get the casing out of the chamber. I fully resized the brass and checked it in the chamber of the rifle that I was going to shoot and it worked fine coming in and out. I only lightly touch the casing for any crimp at all. Can any one tell me what I am doing wrong in this process?

I have read numerous books on reloading and I have a general idea but I have no mentor so I am asking some of you guys for what can possibly be the issue in my process.

100_0949.jpg

100_0948.jpg

Re: 308 Reload Problem - HELP

oh I forgot to mention that part - I trim to 2.005 or as close as I can get...

I would suggest you drop back at least .5gr in your load. You're using IMI brass, which is heavy and has a case capacity similar to Lake City. If that doesn't do it, then examine your chamber for imperfections that may causing it.

Don

I can give that a try. I don't think it is the rifle because I just shot that exact same load a couple of weeks ago (Nosler new Brass) and it was OK...this is baffling me.

It's the brass. You say it's once fired. What was it fired in? I'm guessing not in your rifle. I would suggest you get a cartridge guage and check out the brass. You may want to look for a small base body die to run the brass through one. After that, it should probably work fine.

Best bet is to stay away from once fired .308 brass.

I did buy the brass new and it was shot it a M1A years ago. I used to shoot High Power but then the military got in the way and I had to move so much I lost touch with it. I am back and trying to remember how I used to do it.

I did reduce the load by a grain and worked the inside of the casing more and fired a shot and it worked this time so I will go back and pay more attention to the process.