• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

308 reload question

thor209

Private
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2011
Iowa
Hey all 1st post but have been lurking and getting info on here for a long time. I had a guy call me up the other day and ask me if I had a 308. Well I don't but have been shopping for one so I asked him why? He said he had some reloads he wanted to get rid of because he sold his rifle. I jumped on them figuring ammo is ammo. Expecting 20-50 rounds I stopped and picked up 500 rounds of reloaded ammo. 400 of them are FC brass with 150 gr. Hornady ballist tips. Not knowing how they were loaded I thought the smart thing to do was pull the bullets and reload them myself. My question is I have pulled the 1st 100 and have no idea what the powder is. I weighed every 5th round and they were averaging about 41.5 grains of this unknown powder. Any idea what powder falls into a safe charge for 308 at 41.5 grains with a 150 grain pill. Any suggestions on how to reload these would be great.

Thanks in advance

thor209

Last edited:
Is the powder stick or ball type. With 41.5 grains it would be safe if it was 4064, 3031, 4895 which are all stick powders. I would call and find out what powder was used. That's a lot of powder to toss if you can find out what was used. if you do find out what the powder is I would still pull the projos and reload it myself.

Two basic rules of life where ammunition is concerned;

1) I do not reload for other people. Ever.

2) I do not use other people's reloads. Ever.

Two basic rules of life where ammunition is concerned;

1) I do not reload for other people. Ever.

2) I do not use other people's reloads. Ever.

Agreed with both.

I would ask the guy what powder he used. Or reduce the charge by 10% and work up the load again.

Hey all 1st post but have been lurking and getting info on here for a long time. I had a guy call me up the other day and ask me if I had a 308. Well I don't but have been shopping for one so I asked him why? He said he had some reloads he wanted to get rid of because he sold his rifle. I jumped on them figuring ammo is ammo. Expecting 20-50 rounds I stopped and picked up 500 rounds of reloaded ammo. 400 of them are FC brass with 150 gr. Hornady ballist tips. Not knowing how they were loaded I thought the smart thing to do was pull the bullets and reload them myself. My question is I have pulled the 1st 100 and have no idea what the powder is. I weighed every 5th round and they were averaging about 41.5 grains of this unknown powder. Any idea what powder falls into a safe charge for 308 at 41.5 grains with a 150 grain pill. Any suggestions on how to reload these would be great.

Thanks in advance

thor209
Why does anyone load that many rounds up and not put the load data on the box or bag or whatever? Did you call him back and ask him what the load is?

Called the guy back and he has no idea what the load data is, stating he got them from someone else???? It is a stick powder and i'm guessing 3031 but I have pulled all the bullets and going to start over. The more bullets I pulled the wider the average got. I had some charge weight at 40.0 grs and as high as 45.5. The bullets came loose in a cardboard box so I was weary of them from the start. The only nice thing is the bullets pulled nice and I have 400 FC cases, and 100 LC (87)cases and 400 Hornady bullets and 100 nosler.

thanks for the reply's

thor209

Third hand (that we know of) reloads, from an unknown first party . . . I say again, refer to Rule #2. This is exactly why.

Oh dear. Started fine and seems like you are finding out that tossing them will be the best option. It could be varget, 4895, reloader 15, reloader 17, 3031, 4064 etc. There are not many that are unsafe at 41.5 but at 45.....thats getting closer. Toss the powder, resize, and reload.

Oh, no reason to toss. Plenty of good components there which can be readily reused. Just break 'em down. The cases should be perfectly good, and I wouldn't hesitate to use the primers, so long as we're not talking about "critical use" loads like match or hunting ammo. Plinking and/or practice, no reason not to use them. Aside from some minor gall marks from seating and pulling on the bullets, they'll be just fine and can still serve you well. The powder . . . not so much. Not knowing what it is, for me anyway, would give cause for one, big ol' pyrotechnic display. One good "WHOOSH" and it's a done issue, and nothing to be worried about, evermore.

And besides, there's plenty of really good object lessons to be had here about unsourced, anonymous handloads of questionable pedigree. Get 'em for free, and they can still be incredibly expensive, if you get my drift.

Also no reason that all the rounds were loaded with the same powder.

It sounds like you have a batch of nice fertilizer.

You were given a good batch of cases, primers, and bullets.

The powder is a wash, if it can't be ABSOLUTELY verified dispose of it!

And the Good Lord have mercy on my soul I HATE wasting powder!

I now agree with the others who said to ditch the powder. First because the the powder loaded is unknown by the donor and second because of the wide variation in the loads. As others have said it may be more that more than one powder was used. No sense taking a chance with so many unknowns.