• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 Reloading Data Opinons?

Brux

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2013
GA
4064 and SMK's, IMR data say's starting is 41.5GRS and Sierra's book say's 41GRS, both at 2500FPS.
Where would you start?
I know Dan duplicated FGMM 175 at 41.8 of 4064.
I have shot FGMM 175 and 168 and Gorilla Match 175 and Hornady Match 168 ELD threw this rifle and all 4 shot under 1/2 MOA out of this rifle.
I pulled one of the new FGMM 175's and I don't know what kind of powder they are using now but it's not 4064 and it was 40.6GRS of something.
Also have Varget on hand also.

The 40.6 might be IMR 4895. I'm kind of lost with what you're asking. I mean 41-42 of 4064 and 175 SMK's are kind of a match made in heaven.

Gonna start doing load work and the 2 sources I mentioned are contradicting.
So your saying I should find a load between 41 and 42 GRS

Last edited:
Just load 41.7 it’s a mild load you won’t blow up.

The 40.6 is likely AR-Comp or from that family,

I was pushing a 178 ELD-X out of my 26" .308 at ~2670 with 41.9gr of Varget. Was very easy on pressure, but those bullets are long enough I was already starting to crunch powder.

With 175 smk's and varget I believe I was around 43.2 with light pressure.

I cant comment on the IMR, but I've had very good luck lot to lot with Varget.

I missed what kind of brass you're using. That makes a pretty good difference.

For me... I used to use NATO brass, and would be nearing compression with like 42.6 gr. I switched to Jageman 308 and it took 46 gr, was compressed and didnt have any pressure signs.

My non-abusing load for my brass is 42.6 of IMR4064 in the jag cases. In my nato cases I was at 41.6 gr. That was with 178 eld-m hornadys. I have since switch to 175s and am testing some more next time at the range with different neck tension.

I would start at like 41 at the most, and work up from there in .5 gr increments. Then, when you find groups or velocities thay have similar point if impact or closer numbers, look in that gr range

I'm shooting a factory howa action.

Start low, work your way up, watch for pressure signs, stop when you see them. Ladder test first, find your nodes, work those loads for groups.

Don't use someone else's load data, develop one good for your rifle.

24 inch Bartlein barrel 11.25 twist shooting Lapua brass Bolt gun
What I am referring to is Sierra's published data is totally different than IMR's published data on the low end and the high end.

24 inch Bartlein barrel 11.25 twist shooting Lapua brass Bolt gun
What I am referring to is Sierra's published data is totally different than IMR's published data on the low end and the high end.
Seeing different published data is pretty common. In 30-06 with a 168gr the Lee published max is the minimum in my Lyman manual.

Starting at 41gr should be ok. Generally if I have an issue with powder charge I go to the powder manufacturers site.

The published data is probably written by lawyers that don't want their companies to be sued.

That said, use caution and dont explode yourself. Starg low and be observant of pressure signs.

You should start around 42-42.5 I’ve loaded 4064 with 175 SMK’s all the way to 44.5 before I started to see pressure.

43.3 gave me 2740 in a 24” Bartlein.

I just joined this site to try to learn more and see what was going on. Years ago I wrote an article on reloading for the Stoner SR-25 Match Rifle as I had purchased(1995) the original version with the 24 inch barrel and put a Leupold Mark 4 M3 10-x mil-dot on it. Of course now the gun and scope are dated however I remain quite happy with it, having taken a number of deer, crows, ground hogs, etc. out to 630 yards, not to mention targets like jugs and cans further than that. I have not checked lately but I think if you Google "loading for the Stoner SR25 match rifle" you may find the article. It may help other shooters. Since the article was written I have adopted the Sierra 175 MK tipped and it equals the results of the 168 Sierra MK both in function and accuracy.

With 4064 and the 175 SMK you should find a node around 41.8grs in Federal and LC brass and 42.2 or so in Winchester brass. Other brass somewhere in between. This is a mild load and a pretty well known node. This also considered a good safe load in a service rifle like the M14/M1A.

There is another node around 1.2 grains above the above but would need to be worked up carefully.

Always work up carefully from your selected minimum.

Last edited:
I remember 4064 as an excellent power for the 308. I believe it was in a 1993(?) article in the American Rifleman, wherein they discussed many loads for the National Match M1A rifles and 4064 was in there. I experienced excellent results while using IMI brass which was heavier than the others. The Stoner really liked it best. I may be mistaken but it sort of disappeared but I noticed it has come back. I noticed that it took about .5 grains more WW748 with the Lapua to push the bullet to the velocity I had with the IMI brass. I remember weighing the cases and the IMI was a little heavier. Resulting in more pressure of course.

I found my load with 41.2 GRS of H4895 seated 25 off with the 168 SMK. Out of my Bartlein barrel that shoots 2700 FPS with a SD of 8. This load shoots 1/2 MOA or better out of my gun.
Trying to find my 175 SMK load now. 42.1 shot decent with 4064 and decent numbers but needs improvement.