• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 reloading questions

Rlt102389

Private
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2012
Virginia Beach, Virginia
I am new to the site, and am thinking about getting into reloading for my .308. I have an AAC SD with 1 in 10 twist and 20 inch barrel. There seems to be a whole lot of information out there on different loads/bullet weight, and I am having a hard time deciding what to go with. I have been shooting Hornady 168 grain BTHP match, and have been getting very good grouping out to 300 yards (thats my range limit right now, but it will soon be close to 800 to 900 yards once I get some free time from school to go do some clearing.)

With the 1 in 10 twist, I have heard that the 168 and 175 grain bullets work well, but have heard the 168s do not group as well once you get past about 600 yards. Is this true? Should I switch to 175 and just re zero the gun and work from there?

What is a good charge to start with, along with powder and primers? I will be using Hornady match grade brass. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: .308 reloading questions

If you've been reading, then do some more. The info is out there. You won't find the best load first thing either. At this stage you should just try a combo out of a reloading manual. Don't trust any load data that you get from the internet. There are a lot of really knowledgeable folks on this site, but until you have some experience, stick with the cookbook. I shoot 175's because they don't slow down as quickly, that's why 168's are (sometimes) thought of as less accurate past 600. 'It depends' is the one best answer to all of your questions.

Glad to have you on board! Keep reading and learning, but as long as you keep safety in mind with a conservative attitude, you'll learn tons by doing. Have fun.

Thanks for the advice. From what I read I figured I would have to put a decent amount of time into getting a good load worked up. Gotta start somewhere.

A lot of people like the Hornady Amax bullets or Sierra Match Kings.

I run 175Gr Sierra MK in my 308 for the ability to get to the distance I need. Others runs other bullets. I am going to try the Amax 178Gr as others have spoken well of them. As for the rest of components, it's like drinking from a fire hose. Everybody has favorites.

Ideally, you will choose a given set of components and work up a load that performs well for you and your rifle. VAry only one issue at a time and see the impact of that change.

Be careful and work up loads safely.

Good Luck,

My go to load for 175's in my Remington Tactical have been

175 smk seated 2.825", varget 44.5g, Winchester brass and primer. 2546fps SD=14

168 A-Max seated 2.825, varget 45.8g, Winchester brass and primer. 2624fps SD=15

168 berger vld seated 2.815, varget 45.8, Lapua brass and Winchester primer. 2645fps

180 smk seated at 2.825, varget 44.4g, Winchester brass and primer. 2530fps

I would not be surprized if these work well for you too, but it gives you a starting point.

I know this is a little off topic but about how much does it cost you guys per round when reloading. I know that it depends on many times you are able to reuse the brass, type of powder, bullet, ect. I'm just looking for a ball park figure.

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: newguy2012</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know this is a little off topic but about how much does it cost you guys per round when reloading. I know that it depends on many times you are able to reuse the brass, type of powder, bullet, ect. I'm just looking for a ball park figure.

Thanks </div></div>

for 308 any where from .35 up to .75

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: newguy2012</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know this is a little off topic but about how much does it cost you guys per round when reloading. I know that it depends on many times you are able to reuse the brass, type of powder, bullet, ect. I'm just looking for a ball park figure.

Thanks </div></div>

$.53/round for 175gr SMKs for my bolt gun and $.39/round for 150gr plinking rounds for my HK.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rlt102389</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am new to the site, and am thinking about getting into reloading for my .308. I have an AAC SD with 1 in 10 twist and 20 inch barrel.[/quorw]

1:10 is good up into the low 200gr bullet range. It is said that the optimal twist rate for 175SMK is 11.25:1 range, but this depends on overall bullet length and nose prfile.

There seems to be a whole lot of information out there on different loads/bullet weight, and I am having a hard time deciding what to go with. </div></div>

There are good-great loads in 155 gr through 190 gr range* with barrel lengths from 18" through 27" that shoot well in 308 with the only condition that barrel spins them fast enough. (*) some would argue up to at least 208, others up to 220gr.

So, you do a bunch of reading, decide to buy in on one particulat set of arguments (or another) and then use their philosophy to choose a bullet. Then from that bullet, you choose a primer from their recipie list(TRL), a case from TRL, and a powder and charge weight from TRL. Part of this deciding process is the analysis of the twist rate of your current barrel, your application, and your bullet selection.

Then you develop a load using OCW, OBT, Audette test,... until the load shoots well engouh for you. Can/fix/write-down the recipie, make as many as you want until you change:: jug of powder, case of primers, lot of bullets, set of cases.

Repeat until its time to put a new barrel in it, and go again. Precision reloading is a HOBBY, don't think of it as production, plinking ammo is a different story.

Currently there are arguments in favor of the modern 155 high BC bullets, arguments in favor of the reigning king of the hill 175 SMK, arguments for 190s an even 208s in 308 for 1300+ yards stuff.

The optimal bullet ,chargeweight, ... remains application dependent, the maximum effective range is similarly application dependent. So after a certain distance, the application will determine which of the myriad of good shooting loads is optimum. Generally in 308, this distance is 350-ish yards. A well placed 308 at 350 yards will cause the target to be DRT if you put it in the his vitals. A properly selected hunting bullet will have a larger margin of impact where the target goes DRT than a bullet chosen for 'printing paper', and a larger margin of error where the target does not get away and is dead close by.

Inside of 800 yards, there is "not all that much to argue about" (competition marksmanship). A skilled marksman with a well developed 155 loading is at little disadvantage to a marksman of similar capabilities using an equally well devloped 190; with the caveat that this is done inside 800 yards. Even the lowly 168 SMK is not so bad inside 800 yards. Beyond 800 yards it "all gets trickier" not just hitting the target, but interpreting/understanding what the pattern of impacts is trying to tell you about the loading, condition of the barrel, tune of the load recipie, read of the weather conditions, 'the shooter that day'.

So, you have a 1:10 barrel. This means you can shoot bullets as fast as 190 possible up to 22g depending on atmospherics and MV. The marginal added dispersion of a 155 being shot in a 1:10 barrel over the marginal dispersion of a 155 being shot in a barrel of same quality but in 1:12 twist will be measurable (as in:separated from the other noise) only by the very skilled.

Thanks everyone for the help. One more question. I asked another member on here, and wanted to get some other peoples advice. Once I get a good group at 100 yards, is it safe to say that load will work well for a lot longer shots, or will I have to tweak it a bit? If I have to tweak it, at what distance should I test the load next to see if I need to make some more adjustments to it? Will I always need to make minor adjustments depending on the distance?

Unfortunately, no. Long range ammo needs to be tested at the ranges it's intended for, nothing less. There's tons of loads out there that shoot beautifully at shorter ranges, but are absolute disasters at long range. I've seen loads that delivered extremely wide velocity spreads and had terrible SDs, yet consistently gave beautiful 100-200 yard groups. Take that same ammo out to longer ranges and those velocity spreads showed up, badly.

Sorry, no short cut on this one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rlt102389</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks everyone for the help. One more question. I asked another member on here, and wanted to get some other peoples advice. Once I get a good group at 100 yards, is it safe to say that load will work well for a lot longer shots, or will I have to tweak it a bit? If I have to tweak it, at what distance should I test the load next to see if I need to make some more adjustments to it? Will I always need to make minor adjustments depending on the distance? </div></div>

It's very common for slower velocities to shoot great groups at 100 yards. Then when you move to longer distances they are way too slow to remain steady along the way to the target.

If you're going to test for accuracy at short distances with the hope that the load will perform adequately at long distance at least do so with the fastest load you can. You'll have a better chance at having fewer adjustments when you go to the longer ranges.

That said, every rifle and shooter's different.

My AAC-SD seems to really like the Hornady 168 AMAX and SMK 175. I dont have my load data in front of me but when i get home this morning i will try and remember to post it. There is some good load info on our rifles at the top of this forum. Go to the snipers hide reloading depot and click on the loads for .308 winchester there is a whole section on loads for the AAC-SD.

A 1-10 twist will stabilize bullets of almost any length in 308. I was using 208 Amaxs in my 1-10 twist Savage with good results. I got my best groups from 190 Berger VLD hunting with Varget and RL-15.

Your fast twist will rotate a shorter bullet much faster than is necessary to be stable. It will still work ok, but people who are trying to achieve very high levels of accuracy try not to rotate the bullet a great deal more than is necessary.

The 168 SMK has a bad reputation for doing unpredictable stuff at longer distances. This is because it doesn't go through the transonic zone very well. As it slows down to the sound barrier it will become unstable while it moves through the transonic zone. Other 168 grain bullets don't necessarily have this problem. It has alot to do with boat tail design on the 168 SMK.

In my opinion you should use a bullet that needs a fast twist since that is what you have. A longer bullet with a high BC will do better at longer ranges. The 175 SMK is a fairly short bullet. The Hornady 178 BTHP is longer with a higher BC and cost less then the 175 SMKs. It has very little in common with the 168 BTHPs you are currently using. I think the Hornady 178 BTHP is the shortest bullet you should use since you can stabilize just about anything you want IMO. I got good results with them around 44.0 grains of Varget, but you should start a little below that if you decide to give them a try. If money isn't an issue Berger has several great bullets as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My go to load for 175's in my Remington Tactical have been

175 smk seated 2.825", varget 44.5g, Winchester brass and primer. 2546fps SD=14

I would not be surprized if these work well for you too, but it gives you a starting point. </div></div>

Just as an FYI I did a full OCW work up for my gun which is a 20" 1-12 Remington 700 LTR and my preferred load is a 175gr SMK with 44.5 grains of varget just like Niles the only difference is that I load to a 2.800" OAL. This charge weight and bullet is a really good starting point!

~Brett