• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 reloads

Nathaniel4545

Private
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2012
Aurora,co
I have a question. I just started reloading on my own and started with my .308 remington 700 sps tac. 16.5bbl. I used the hornady comparator and checked for my C.O.A.L to the lands. My issue is i cant get the load to be .002 off the lands without making it a single shot rifle. since i want these loads to be used for hunting I have to seat them back over .2, around 2.835", away from the lands to fit down in to the mag well . I know i am going to swap out the stock in the future for a mag fed chasis system. but for now how accurate should i expect my loads to be seated that far? i have been testing with the Berger 185 vld and the 208 a-max.

Some rifle/bullet combos like a jump. Seat them to mag length and shoot it. Only way you will find out. For a hunting rifle should be plenty accurate.

those bergers might be some of the fun you are experiencing…. they are just long bullets. I have loaded some hornady 178gr, 168gr, and sierra matchking 175's and even nosler 180gr partitions and had good results with a decent amount of jump to the lands as I loaded for magazine length and was around the same coal as you. The bergers almost fall out of the neck of my brass when loading to the lands on my deep throated factory rem 700

thanks, I will put some down range and see how they fly! I was supprised the amount of jump this rifle has but it is what it is and will work on it form there.

The majority of factory rifles have long throats. Its a matter of pressure and liability among other things. 175 and 168 BTHPs don't mind the jump as much as VLD type of bullets do. As far as accuracy goes I would expect 1.5 MOA for a 10 shot group at 100 yds and be happy with under 1 MOA. To a certain extent, nothing that you do is going to get a 80.00 barrel to shoot like a 450.00 barrel.

I've encountered the same OAL issues with my Remingtons. The mile-long throat seems to be a common issue with factory barrels. Selecting a bullet that's shorter and doesn't mind a jump, seems to be key. So far, mine like 178 Amax and 180 SMKs. I have some Berger 185 juggernauts and Barnes lead-free stuff I'm trying to make work, but the only real appealing loads I've come up with for them, rule out magazine loading.

my .308 M700 loves 168 or 175 SMK seated at 2.825" coal. I dont think that I can get these bullets to touch the lands anyway.

Most (all?) detachable magazines will have approximately the same length restrictions as the built-in well. Shooting near the lands is barely possible with most Remington 700s, besides not being what it's cracked up to be. I shoot Nosler 168 CC at 2.800 over 41.6 grains of IMR-4064 and Fed 210M in Winchester brass and average 1 MOA 5 shot groups with at least 10% of the groups under .5 MOA.

See this article from Berger Bullets on the subject of bullet jump. It appears that being near the lands isn't as important as first thought. Rather, it seems, that there are nodes every 0.003" seating depth where the bullet performs best.

Berger Bullets Seating Method for VLD Bullets - A "Sweet Spot" with a Long Bullet Jump will give the best accuracy.

That's a Remington chamber. Mile long free bore. Just start at max mag length and seat .005" deeper till you find one that shoots well.

The Amax and other Tangent ogive bullets will tolerate jump more than the Secant ogive of the VLD. Not that it is impossible to use the VLD, but just more latitude with the Amax.

I like the 178 Amax out of an SPS Tac for target and hunting (seated to 2.830). Dropping speed goats like its no ones business out near La Junta. Hopefully get one this weekend.

Last edited:
Start with loading to your
Magazine first. Just because you heard or read that you need .002" off the lands doesn't mean it works for you.
Do a load work up for YOUR RIFLE. The things others say no matter who they are are
Merely educated guidelines.

Here's an example. I shoot a 260 remington with berger 140 vlds. Most of the talk I've heard is that vlds are very picky with jump and need .020" . I definitely couldn't do that with my mag and I was also running into pressure spikes. Someone on the hide who I've dealt with a lot of recommended 40 thousandths+.. Way more Than others have. So my recommendations are:

1. Start with a safe charge that groups well.
2. Work at mag length and shorten seat depth to fine tune.
3. Define your goal: accuracy vs fps . Some shooters find great nodes at hotter throws.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412304752.101851.jpg

Here's the results. Now go tinker and find YOUR LOAD!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Grouper
I shoot about 5 different weights and brands of .308 bullet. I did some testing and did not notice any substantial accuracy gains with varied COAL's. I got tired of constanty playing around with "jump / no jump / kiss" and so on. I now load everything to approx 2.81" and call it done. I had some excessive chrono ES's with varied COAL, and I still get varied ES's all loaded to 2.8 so I'm focusing my energy on getting those ES's down by more detail to the reloading process such as more precise powder charges, and achieving more constiant neck tensions.