• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 Stuck Cases

Sipes.38

Private
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2020
Ohio
I have been using Hornady dies with different brass. I am having cases get stuck and there is no getting the last one out at this point. I have tapped the case and broke the allen key trying to remove the case. The decapping pin and neck expander are still in the die/case. Die was properly set and haven't had any issues with other brass.

Any ideas how to get it out? TIA.

Set the die over something with a hole the case can fit though, stick a steel rod down the neck once you get the guts out of the way and hammer it out. Depending on the press and your confidence in its build quality you can just screw it in and smash it out if you feel its beefy enough to take the beating.

Then use more lube.

Reactions: camocorvette
Can you do something like this? I had one stuck af and this pulled it right out. Tapped it for an appropriate size bolt and the nut pushes against the lock ring. The top lock ring was just a spacer.

20211118_120350.jpg

Following up on ForgeValley's post - remove the die from the press. Using the appropriate drill bit, drill out the primer pocket and tap the hole you just made for 1/4x20 thread. Spin a nut all the way down on a 1/4x20 bolt. ForgeValley is using that big nut because it provides inside-diameter room to pull out the case, the die ring and the washers provide spacing and something to push against. Set up a spacing like you see, insert the bolt through the washers and spacers and screw it into the tapped hole on the back of the stuck case. Use an open-end wrench to turn the nut away from the bolt head. The bolt is engaged in the case. As you turn the nut away from the bolt head, you are pulling the bolt out of the die and bringing the stuck case with it. The case only has to move less than 0.030 (about half a turn) to come free.

When drilling out the primer pocket, do not mess up your ejector pin or drill into the die body.

This is not a big deal to do. After you have done the first one, you will think, "that was easy!" The solution is "use enough lube".

RCBS and others make a "stuck case remover" kit that contains all of the parts you need. Google or check Brownells or Midway.

Following up on ForgeValley's post - remove the die from the press. Using the appropriate drill bit, drill out the primer pocket and tap the hole you just made for 1/4x20 thread. Spin a nut all the way down on a 1/4x20 bolt. ForgeValley is using that big nut because it provides inside-diameter room to pull out the case, the die ring and the washers provide spacing and something to push against. Set up a spacing like you see, insert the bolt through the washers and spacers and screw it into the tapped hole on the back of the stuck case. Use an open-end wrench to turn the nut away from the bolt head. The bolt is engaged in the case. As you turn the nut away from the bolt head, you are pulling the bolt out of the die and bringing the stuck case with it. The case only has to move less than 0.030 (about half a turn) to come free.

When drilling out the primer pocket, do not mess up your ejector pin or drill into the die body.

This is not a big deal to do. After you have done the first one, you will think, "that was easy!" The solution is "use enough lube".

RCBS and others make a "stuck case remover" kit that contains all of the parts you need. Google or check Brownells or Midway.
Mostly. You actually just tighten up the bolt, not the nut. The nut in this instance isnt threaded onto anything, so it would just spin.

Kinda what I gathered too, that's why I suggested freezing it to shrink the brass a bit making it easier to extract without breaking another allen wrench.
My other suggestion would be to toss the socket head bolt and replace it with a good grade 5 or better hex head.
My homemade version of the above stuck case remover...
20220114_053049.jpg

Mostly. You actually just tighten up the bolt, not the nut. The nut in this instance isnt threaded onto anything, so it would just spin.
Yup, I get it, I have one of those too. I use the "nut and bolt" style because I had trouble with the "just a bolt" style. As it seemed to me, the "nut and bolt" style just pulls the brass straight out without trying to turn the bolt in the brass - the nut is turning on the bolt threads and pushing against and sliding on the washers where the "just a bolt" style forces the steel bolt to follow the threads in the brass. There seemed to be something about the steel bolt not wanting to turn in the brass without tearing up the threads, maybe it was trying to turn the brass in the die - I don't know. In any case I made my own "nut and bolt" after pulling the threads out of a piece of brass. YMMV.