• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

.308 subs: hunting rounds?

Mn_Shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2008
Minnesota
Curious...

Are there any .308 subsonic loads that would be decent hunting rounds for, say, whitetail deer? If so, at what range? Any clue as top downrange energy?

Re: .308 subs: hunting rounds?

Look into the 300 Blackout. 220 gr subsonic has a lot of knockdown power to about 300 yards!!! I personally use the S&W M&P because it has 1:7.5 twist.

Subsonic hunting from small bore rounds like a 308 requires a lot more careful shot selection and shot placement.

If you're not going to shoot for a CNS impact then putting the bullet through BOTH front shoulders is important.

The Lehigh Defense bullets would be my first choice for a projectile that's designed to work similar to a broadhead and slice up critical blood pathways on the way through.

I try to aim for the base of the skull just behind the ear or at the neck for an instant kill shot. This means that ranges are kept short, many times <100yd.

Subsonic ammo from a 308 does not pack the necessary punch to "pole axe" deer like many are used to seeing with full power ammo.

Many times with a double shoulder shot the hunter is going to need to dispatch the animal with a CNS shot from a 22 or something (assuming it's legal in the state you're hunting) as they're effective to anchor the animal but they don't usually do well to kill it immediately.

Ever try cast bullets? I find them quite effective.

I don't know if you know much about the 30-40 Krag, it was an outstanding deer/elk round, using a 220 gr bullet at 2000 fps.

Using a 200 grn cast bullet and 5744 you get the same velocity in a 308. Its fairly accurate with in the limited range, up to 200 yards.

Low pressure, easy on the shooter, gun and brass. Not to mention cheap to shoot.

Cast bullets are great for mini-charge subsonic stuff, they make very cheap, easy shooting even at supersonic speeds. I did the math one time and figured that a loaded 30-30 with cast 170's @ 1800fps cost me a shade under 10c/rd

Accuracy was about 2MOA, made for a good deer round out to 200yd.

The info on the 300 Blackout is great. However, my bolt gun is .308.

My hunting buddy used a .308 Win. with a suppressor to take a moose this season. The load was 12.5 gr. Trail Boss powder, Hornady .30 cal 220 gr. Round Nose (#3090)bullet, Fed. 210 GMM primer. This load averages 1050 fps (chronographed) from his 18" barrel. Don't know what the energy of the bullet was...head shot only. He planted the bullet in the left ear canal...it exited the right side of the skull halfway between the eye and the ear. Range was 57 yds. (laser ranged after the shot). The moose collapsed at the shot...made no sound. We spent a LOT of time researching and working up this load. It averages just over 1 inch 5 shot groups at 50 yds...drops about 12 inches below POA at 100 yds when sighted 1 inch above POA at 50 yds. We swore an oath to each other to take only head shots, at stationary animals, at no more than 75 yds. When you turn the CNS switch off, there is no need for tracking a blood trail.

A whitetail deer head will be a much smaller target. You might get full penetration on a shoulder shot at reasonable range...that is something you will need to experiment with on test media to determine what your limits will be. If you go the subsonic route, please work your load up carefully; practice diligently; and wait patiently for the perfect opportunity.

ymmv Al

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mn_Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The info on the 300 Blackout is great. However, my bolt gun is .308. </div></div>

You do realize the 300 blackout uses .308 bullets. And the link he gave you has great expanding .308 subsonic projectiles just what you are looking for. Remember to test you powder loads in reverse.

The reason you see a lot of 300 black out is because it was made for subsonic use. The key is finding a bullet that will expand at subsonic speeds. The guys shooting 300 blackout are putting this on the front burner.

Farthest shot I've had this year on Deer was 115 yds, closest was, 85, all head shoots, and all DRT. 180gr Lyman mold using pure lead, thrown weight comes in at 187grs. Pushed by 6.5grs of 700x to 1050fps via a CCI 200 and Win brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Subsonic ammo from a 308 does not pack the necessary punch to "pole axe" deer
</div></div>

or anything else. Need to nut it...

I starting subsonic hunting this year to help a landowner. My hunting buddy and I have shot 12 whitetails thus far this year. We are using the Outlaw State Bullets 210 gr expanding subsonics with Trailboss powder.

Shot placement is key at subsonic velocities. A shot placed through the heart or major artery, and they will run less than 20 yds. On a lung shot where the entrance wound is between the ribs, you will have a very hard time tracking.

Hunting with suppressed subsonics has been a lot of fun. Several times we have taken up to 4 deer from the same herd because they didn't run away after the first shots.

Now that Lehigh Defense has .308 subsonic options, I'm going to test them next.

I don't understand.
What are the reasons anybody would want a subsonic round in .308 unless there are kids shooting it ?

What am I missing ?

Kyle

Maybe because you have a threaded 308 and a can, and can't find a reasonably priced 300 blackout gun, or ammo, anywhere.

I love the outlaw state 210 grain subsonic expanding rounds in my 308 and the 220's in my 300 blackout. Tried running the 220's in my 308 but they keyholed big time.
When hunting suppressed i always chamber a sub to hunt with so i can shoot coyotes (or deer) quietly without spooking deer. 2nd round in the mag is a supersonic so i can switch out if it is a long shot.

Here is one of the 220 Outlaw states out of my 300 blackout at 1020fps across the top of a pile of loose sand. Sand is not the same as a deer but still impressed me

outlaw.jpg

I have had great success shooting the lehigh defense controlled fracturing 170gr bullet. Per their instructions I have seated a 22gr .17 caliber bullet inside the nose of their bullet. I originally started with a 20gr insert and found the 22gr just had better accuracy. I have shot several deer with this round and haven't lost one. 9.5 grains of Trailboss and br2 primers.

I have tested the 260gr from Outlaw State Bullets shot a buck twice through the lungs.
One bullet recovered under skin after going through aposing shoulder.
Fired from 7 twist cycling subsonic LR308. Only mod is .120" gas port and adjustable gas block.
Fed mag primer, and some sr4759. Shot at 70 yrds.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 97
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 96
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 119
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 159
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 99
Check your state laws.

Subsonic .308 would not be legal in MD. They require 1200 foot pounds ME. 220 grain at 1050 is only 538. Does not even meet the standards for handguns.

Rifles used for deer and bear hunting must use ammunition developing a muzzle energy of at least 1,200 foot pounds.

Any modern handgun used for deer and bear hunting must have a barrel length of 6 inches or more and use ammunition which produces a muzzle energy of 700 foot-pounds or more.

I don't understand.
What are the reasons anybody would want a subsonic round in .308 unless there are kids shooting it ?

What am I missing ?

Kyle
I will refrain from dignifying this with comment.

To the OP,
I haven't done the down range numbers or checked them for expansion/penetration but I shoot a .308 Win with a 175g HP cast bullet, over 6g of Bullseye and get 1030fps 24" barrel. Not saying it's the best or anything but if you roll your own and looking for a place to start......