• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors .308 suppressed??

wowak1

Private
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2009
PA
Ok guys so i'm in the process of building a .308 for long distance shooting. I'm trying to decide if i should go ahead and get a suppressor or not. I was looking at the surefire suppressor and if i think it would be wise to mount the adapter/compensator now before the gun is built and painted. What are the pro's and con's to suppressing the weapon?

Re: .308 suppressed??

All pro's, only con, a little extra length/weight, but who cares. Makes them enjoyable. Shot my 260 today, no hearing protection needed, no recoil and they are just cool
cool.gif

Pros
Makes your penis seem bigger
Shooting without hearing protection is nice
Reduced recoil

Cons
Shooting positional the suppressor is a sail on the end of the barrel
Answering all the idiots questions at the range

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

"Those aren't legal, are they?
grin.gif

Does the Idea that the atf and law enforcement know you have a supressor? I am trying to decide if i want to supress my ar 308

I have a POF-USA 308, I got the MRR-16. I recently ordered the suppressor from YHM, it was a decent price. A few of the guys I shoot with have them, we tend to train outdoors so it's more of a favor to the neighbors.

what is the length of your current AR?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kstraughen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does the Idea that the atf and law enforcement know you have a supressor? I am trying to decide if i want to supress my ar 308 </div></div>

I would suggest setting up a trust. Its really easy and with going that route, you dont have to get the LE sign off, so the local LE doesnt have any idea, also you dont have to submit passport photos or fingerprint cards, so the atf doenst have those either, all they have is a registered address where the supressor is supposed to be at and your full name.

CJG

I am in the middle of a build off a dpms Lr I am wanting a 16 or 18 in barrel what brand do you think more bang for my buck and have the option for supressed

It's against the law for police departments to keep Tax records for the purpose of knowing where such toys are, so the argument for a Trust based on that is silly, IMHO only go the Trust route if you can't get the signature.

The trust helps should something happen to you and you would like to leave your suppressor(s) to a spouse or child. The cans are property of the trust and when the trust procedes to the successor there are no transfer issues with the cans. If you had the cans just in your name and not a trust there would be a $200 transfer fee per can to the person you left them to. The trust would save you the cash especially if you had several NFA items in the trust.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtyD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok guys so i'm in the process of building a .308 for long distance shooting. I'm trying to decide if i should go ahead and get a suppressor or not. I was looking at the surefire suppressor and if i think it would be wise to mount the adapter/compensator now before the gun is built and painted. What are the pro's and con's to suppressing the weapon? </div></div>

Pros: It's quiet, some silencers can make your rifle MORE accurate, it's quiet, it has less recoil, it's quiet, it is a chick magnet, it looks cool, better for your ears, better for your eyes (less recoil), cars have mufflers so should rifles, less muzzle blast (dust), does not give away your position. People will tell you it's illegal and only hit-men need them.. Then and you can educate them on the pros. Some people are more likely to try shooting if it is not so noisy and recoil is reduced. If you have one you can put it on

Cons: It is longer, heavier, gets HOT and is hard to see through the heat waves, you are subject to more restrictions, you have to maintain control over it at all times and safe guard it. (restrict access to it) Cost $200 in tax. Cost $. Some people will tell you it's illegal and only hit-men need them. It is addictive. The BATF&E takes to long. Paperwork can be cumbersome. Not legal in all states, and usage may be restricted, like no hunting with them, as an example in some states. May not be allowed in some competitions. Shooting w/o a silencer will not be as fun.

A muzzle brake/compensator may not be legal in all matches. I have a Cyclone thread on. If you want fast attach a Flashhider mount, if legal in your state, may be better if you shoot in a competition where a muzzle brake/compensator is not allowed..

If you can... I would get one. Better to have than not. Make sure you get a silencer that meets all you shooting activities. If precision is what you are after than make sure your mount & silencer will improve accuracy.

Some silencers have size, weight, full auto rating and ease of mounting as a priority not accuracy.

This is not correct section 9.5.3 states, A decedent’s registered NFA firearms may be conveyed taxexempt to lawful heirs. These distributions are not treated as voluntary “transfers” under the NFA. Rather, they are considered to be involuntary “transfers by operation of law.”

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: locked&loaded</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The trust helps should something happen to you and you would like to leave your suppressor(s) to a spouse or child. The cans are property of the trust and when the trust procedes to the successor there are no transfer issues with the cans. If you had the cans just in your name and not a trust there would be a $200 transfer fee per can to the person you left them to. The trust would save you the cash especially if you had several NFA items in the trust. </div></div>

dane421, Thanks for correcting the false statement and providing reference. The comment did not make sense about penalizing the heir transfer and imposing another tax stamp.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M21 Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The comment did not make sense about penalizing the heir transfer and imposing another tax stamp. </div></div>

It may not make sense, but it COULD be the law, just one more way for them to get what they're "due".

Thanks guys, lots of great info and responses and everyone has definately swayed me and i'm definately moving forward with the suppressor option. Now its just the wait and i know from my 9mm suppressors that its a long wait!!! hahaha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's against the law for police departments to keep Tax records for the purpose of knowing where such toys are, so the argument for a Trust based on that is silly, IMHO only go the Trust route if you can't get the signature. </div></div>

Ah, but they have the copy before it's a tax document, CLEO signs off before the ATF affixes the Tax Stamp, so they can keep a copy if they choose.

In addition to all the good pros/cons listed, making the "less recoil" pro more tangible for you.
On my .308 at 425 yds shooting prairie dog tagets, i.e., small, with my can I can stay on target much better. Follow through, seeing the hit, etc. is improved. W/o can, forget about seeing where the hit was on the target and I'm lucky if I can call the gross hit.

(Oh yea, and they're just f-ng cool...)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silverbullet-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you go with the Surefire, you need to get it coated before you mount the adapter/brake. JPG </div></div>
Doesn't seem quite right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silverbullet-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you go with the Surefire, you need to get it coated before you mount the adapter/brake. JPG </div></div>

Why is this?

Chuck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dane421</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is not correct section 9.5.3 states, A decedent’s registered NFA firearms may be conveyed taxexempt to lawful heirs. These distributions are not treated as voluntary “transfers” under the NFA. Rather, they are considered to be involuntary “transfers by operation of law.”

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: locked&loaded</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The trust helps should something happen to you and you would like to leave your suppressor(s) to a spouse or child. The cans are property of the trust and when the trust procedes to the successor there are no transfer issues with the cans. If you had the cans just in your name and not a trust there would be a $200 transfer fee per can to the person you left them to. The trust would save you the cash especially if you had several NFA items in the trust. </div></div> </div></div>

I believe Locked&Loaded meant to state that a Trust allows the individual to bypass probate if it were applicable to the situation, it also allows for pre-conditions on the transfer to the heir, as such; the heir has to be 21 yoa, has to attend a hunter safety course, blah, blah blah.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pros
Reduced recoil

Cons

</div></div>

Pretty much sums it up!

I noticed there isn't much talk of accuracy degradation with the suppressor. John Plaster's book, The Ultimate Sniper talks about a suppressed sniper rifle being an oxymoron. Is that outdated information?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aerochris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I noticed there isn't much talk of accuracy degradation with the suppressor. John Plaster's book, The Ultimate Sniper talks about a suppressed sniper rifle being an oxymoron. Is that outdated information? </div></div>

Yes that is not the case with a lot of todays suppressors. I have shot the SureFire suppressors quite a bit and there is very little to no POI shift with these attached to the weapon. Also because of their design it is repeatable when you take it off and put it back on. I have also shot a Knight's can but that one we left on the rifle constantly and was only taken off to clean the rifle. The other suppressors I shot were not on precision rifles so I cannot comment.

Chuck

They are well worth it. I leave mine on my 308 bolt most all the time. It is a thread on AAC cyclone. I have used the QD surefire. Both are consistant when removing and installing. Surefire is expensive.

'PROs' you do not want your position given away when Firing,Boom gone,Flash gone, sonic boom cant be pointed at easily by finger and mind .recoil is reduced and impact visual is higher and follow up is faster/easier...

'Cons' its heavy longer,.impact shifts on and off, you cant run that load that was about to smoke a primer before you add the can,Long strings of fire hold more heat with the can and the normal happy load may smoke brass..

I like mine ..

Another pro, if you are going to use a rifle for self-defense in your home you won't have to keep hearing protection close by with a suppressor. Shooting a rifle in a house will cause hearing loss. I have a can on the LWRC in the closet...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: locked&loaded</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The trust helps should something happen to you and you would like to leave your suppressor(s) to a spouse or child. The cans are property of the trust and when the trust procedes to the successor there are no transfer issues with the cans. If you had the cans just in your name and not a trust there would be a $200 transfer fee per can to the person you left them to. The trust would save you the cash especially if you had several NFA items in the trust. </div></div>

Not true. I'm pretty sure inheritance is a tax free transfer.

who said it is better for your eyes????

On a bolt yes but AR, no. Unless you have a inclosed handguard.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pros
Reduced recoil

Cons
</div></div>

+ the chicks digthem