• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 to 1000, 1178, 1385, 1650 and 1950 meters.

I'm agape at the shooting and the landscape. Awesome!

ELR Beyond 1000 is my favorite forum here at SH. My longest hits are on an 18" silhouette at 700m with a .308. I'm no sniper but every time I hit that thing I get a thrill. Living vicariously thru you guys.
Thanks!

Last edited:
I believe that this is the single best post I have read on the forum. It is damned sure the best ELR post I have read. You tought as you reported your findings. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
New respect for the 308!

I've been lurking around here for awhile, but this is THE thread that prompted me to register so I can say THIS IS AWESOME!!!

Due to my location I rarely get to shoot further than 150yds, so I only have a 5.56 rifle at the moment. Usually when I've read posts about ELR shooting it is relation to $2500+ rifles in .300 WM, .338 LM or other 'real' ELR cartridges.
Nice to see proof positive that the 'lowly' 7.62 NATO is still a force to be reckoned (or is that recon'd ;) ) with, especially in a sub-$1k setup!

Well done!!!
:cool:

There is a place similar to this along the Oregon Coast but there is no way anyone would be able to post up and fire down to the beach. How are you able to shoot up there?

Awesome, informative post - great use of water to track your flight. Thanks for sharing. Love the recovered bullets!
Slo, I don't shoot at the coast -- too many tourons (tourist morons). Try heading up Storyburn Rd or Drift Creek rd out Hwy 6. At the top you can stretch out past 1500 and there are stone cliffs to watch your bullet strike.

Just saw this thread and love it.
My daughter and I went out today in the Arizona desert and found a place to stretch out with a savage 308.
Using 175 SMKs shot out to 1250 yds, and once we got the dope right were hitting without problem on steel.
I honestly did not expect this, always kept my 308s shooting under 1000 in the past.
Sadly, probably our last shoot in the Arizona desert as we are soon moving to Colorado.

Thanks for posting this. I had no idea the AX chassis was available in a NON folding configuration. I'm glad to have seen the photos.

Awesome post! Thanks for taking the time to share your extended range shooting!

Great post! Looks like I know what kind of tests I'll be doing this summer. I don't know if I''ll go out that far, but I'm definitely motivated to reach out there after seeing your thread!

northern shooter, have you tried using the 178 amax's over the BTHP's? I may try some bthp's next, i ran some 168's thru my spr and have some great luck with them but i like alittle heavier bullet for long distance

Really encouraging post! Iv been wanting to stretch my .308 out to a mile, and so far people think I'm crazy. Ill point the haters over to this post! Iv gotten out to 1205 so far and also recovered a bullet. :D Maybe my goals will increase after the mile! Thanks again for sharing!!

Northern Shooter, you had me at "Here is my range." This is the coolest post I've seen on The Hide. Thanks for the pics and info!!! Amazing that you found those bullets.

I would love to fly up there and set up our Target Cam system, put a camera at each of those targets....it would make for some great footage.

The water was only about a foot deep and its clear i only found one at 1650 and one at 1950 couldnt find the rest.

northern shooter
Awesome...and yes, as TahoeRider mentions, a target cam would be perfect for this. Took a TRG 22 and a Rem PSS (both .308) at a mile with 25% hit ratio but did not have that amazing inspiring landscape.
Congrats

I love shooting the .308 at ELR. We have engaged targets out to 1650 yards with 178 AMAX. I been playing with my .223 1-7 twist remy 700 with criterion barrel at 1400 yards with pretty good results also. Love seeing these post !

Have you worked on further developing your loads? I would love to try them out.

Reading this post made me smile and love my Remington even more. I was just looking around for a build for long range... Didn't realize I already have one!

Thank you very very much. A very inspiring post.

Let me know about the loads

.308 to 1000, 1178, 1385, 1650 and 1950 meters.

Awesome post; as to those who doubt .308, I recently shot a 2.5 inch group at 500 meters or 546 yards moving a heavy metal plate on rubber belting. One of the rounds impacted the bolt pushing it back into the bolt hole a little bit. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408775535.267529.jpg

The round was a standard 168grn soft nose traveling at around 2750 ft/s

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYpatriot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks! fun post. I wonder at what range they begin to tumble. Seems like at 1950 you were getting pretty consistent elevation calls so i'm guessing they were just beginning that tumble you were seeing. Would have been interesting to see if you would have had more or less success in the subsonic ranges with a secant ogive bullet. </div></div>

The 178 Hornady BTHP have a secant ogive. I loaded the 178 AMAX the 175 SMK and the 178 BTHP exactly the same, The 178 AMAX and 175 SMK shoot almost the same but i never did try a ladder test or anything with a 178 BTHP.

Big mistake because when i took the same load i used to hit a target at 1650 and 1950 meters to an F class match they grouped terrible at 1000 yards.

Didn't read the entire thread, too long… :) But yeah I have loaded a lot of rounds and tried shooting 308 out to 1400+ and it's funny how many 175s I would see in perfect shape scattered around the targets at that distance.

So you really had to dial than hold over to get those distances. Fun times.

I think a lot of people just take what they hear from others and make it a absolute fact before testing it as a possibility. They will never advance as shooters.

haven’t seen this post in awhile I’m thinking of taking the 308 to 3000 meters in the future will post the results

haven’t seen this post in awhile I’m thinking of taking the 308 to 3000 meters in the future will post the results
I thought i was crazy for having the dream of hitting 1.6km with a 308 but after reading this bad actor I have definitely changed my short term and long term goals. Now I gotta find some decent crown land or make a friend at range control haha

I thought i was crazy for having the dream of hitting 1.6km with a 308 but after reading this bad actor I have definitely changed my short term and long term goals. Now I gotta find some decent crown land or make a friend at range control haha

You mustn’t be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. Ha ha

I have a similar shooting spot as in the OP, elevated FFP with water at the target site. Couple years ago I was shooting my 308 at 1000m, and when I had 10 rounds left I decided to test something crazy. I shot them towards a big rock in the water 3200m away IIRC. Had to stack mils on a mountain behind the target lol. No "hits" of course and I'm sure some would call it waste of ammo. But hey, I thought it was fun.

Three things I observed, 1-I could spot the impacts in the water even through my 10x scope, because the water was like a mirror (minimal wind). 2-the bullets (175smk, 12tw) was not all over the place, although not what anyone would call accurate fire. 3-I had to use way less elevation than calculated, I used about 130 mils and predicted was 150-160 IIRC.

Not scientific or verified in any way, but maybe it could help you towards hitting something (large) at that range. or maybe not ;)

As I don’t have my spot readily available to me it’s gonna be a little bit before I can make a post about 3k but when I do.

I will use some go pros a spotting scope with a cam it won’t be a picture post like this one it will be a video and I’ll be using a cold shot Moab base to help me get out to 3000 meters

As I don’t have my spot readily available to me it’s gonna be a little bit before I can make a post about 3k but when I do.

I will use some go pros a spotting scope with a cam it won’t be a picture post like this one it will be a video and I’ll be using a cold shot Moab base to help me get out to 3000 meters

Find someone with a drone... Game changing angles. I bought one for my worldly travels but now its a impact camera as well.

Regarding 308Win, because of space over here, long range shooting tends to be limited. However, there is a discipline called Match Rifle which is shot at 1000,1100,1200 yds and historically as far back as 2,600yds. 308W is the only permitted calibre, max barrel weight 5.5lbs, a rest is allowed but the rifle must be supported by the hand which may lie on the rest, scopes allowed but no back bags ie rifle is shot prone, from the shoulder. Loads tend to centre around 210 220g bullets which are pushed to 2750ish in case of say 215 Bergers from 32 or 34 in bores with coal 3.1 inches or so. Do the numbers on a 215 Berger north of 2700fps versus drift/retained energy at 1200 yards and accepting heavier recoil, 308 with such bullets is not as obsolete as cf 6.5 Creedmore etc as some might suggest. Retained velocities @ 1200yds iro 1350fps with a 215g projectile. That would sting a bit eh? Score wise, the bull is 24 inches and the X ring 14.4 inches. Given reasonable conditions, many 15 to count shoots have recorded scores of 75 with 12 oor more Xs although a 'good' score at 1200 probably seen as a 73.ie 13 from 15 hits on a 2 foot circle at 1200yds. All the above just for interest sake as to an aspect of long range shooting in UK.