• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 twist for 0 to 600 yards

cornhusker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2012
Towandaa,Pa
Want to rebarrel my savage to 308..Need your expert advice..
What weight and length and twist do you fellows suggest I order..
This will be for informal f/tr shooting mostly 300 to 500...Prone..
I really prefer the bull barrels for the heat of the barrel..
20 rounds plus sighters in 30 minutes...thanks

10 twist for sure. Gives you ability to go to 200 gr bullets if you chose a barrel long enough to drive them at decent speed, but 10 twist also fine for 175 gr class bullets. My FTR is 28" Krieger varmint, wish I'd gone 30-32" as this is FTR specific. For a more mixed use rifle 24-26 would be fine.

ETA: sorry forgot about barrel contour. As I said I have a varmint contour as mine is a switch barrel and that is largest I could fit. If you can fit it a M24 or MTU would he great, and heavy palma also great. You could get 30" finished from an off the shelf heavy palma but may need to custom order a m24 or MTU for that length. I'm not as familiar with savage and you didn't comment on if you were buying a prefit.

Unfortunately I don't know own anything personally about McGowan. Likely will do well! I'd just get as long as you can with as long of freebore as you can if it's FTR and doesn't need to be mag fed.

McGowen barrels are excellent. I have 3 currently, I've shot out another one and have a 28" Remage prefit on order in 223 Ackley Improved. They make a very good barrel.

I also think the 10" twist is the sweet spot for the average .308. If you were shooting big heavy bullets I would say 9" twist, but most folks don't go that heavy.

No reason not to choose 1/10......

I don't shoot f/tr, but I've had 2 308s with 10 twist barrels. I have shot everything from 168s to 208s with them. I haven't seen reason to experiment with anything else personally.

I wouldn't do a carbon barrel. Imo if it's an FTR gun you want to get as close to the weight limit as you can. Weight is your friend.

1/10. I shoot 208 eld-m's to 1200y and 168 amax's when plinking out to 1000 with no problem. How many rounds are down your barrel? Is this a need or want? 308 can go 5000-8000 rounds no problem.

I switch barrel on my jae allen and one of them is An FTR Barrel.

30”, 308 1:10 twist and it has the f class team chamber and theist spec.

i shoot 200gr ELD-X with good results

I went 1-11.25" twist. Id suggest you look at PacNor barrels. I also have a McGowen. The PacNor looks better and shoots lightsout compared to the Mcgowen. Needless to say, the McGowen is not screwed into an action if that tells you anything.