• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

rackchaser71

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2010
myakka city FL
ive had my new rifle choice narrowed down to these two, i notice not alot of people are shooting the 7mag, the .308 holds energy to long distances but the 7mag is a monster, its going to be a deer gun, i love the price of the .308 ammo but love the ballistics of the 7mag, whats your opinion, i didnt find much in the search comparing these two, thanks

Re: .308 vs 7mm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rackchaser71</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> i didnt find much in the search comparing these two, thanks </div></div>

Thats because there isnt much of a comparison.

In terms of sheer ballistic performance the 7mmRM is light years ahead of the 308Win.

A better comparison would be a 308 and a 7mm08.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rackchaser71</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> i didnt find much in the search comparing these two, thanks </div></div>

In terms of sheer ballistic performance the 7mmRM is light years ahead of the 308Win.

A better comparison, would be a 308 and a 7mm08.</div></div>

Agreed..... +1

im not really comparing, just wondering why so many people shoot the .308 over the 7mag, wanted the pros and cons from someone that has had some experience with them

Everyone shoots the .308 over the 7mmRM because of the avaliability of rifles and ammunition, both commercial and surplus for that chambering. Its a US Military chambering that has also been adopted by NATO...

anyway thats why you see more rifles and shooters with .308's.

Not to mention that .308 rifles are useally easier to find (just my my observation) and .308 is a bit cheaper.

I got a 7mmRM for sale BTW for $450.00 if your interested, look in the for sale section.

Go with the 7 Mag. Most bullet selections have higher BCs. The 7Mag has to be as close as it comes to the perfect all around North American hunting ctg.

Your gonna wind up with both anyway, but what you really need is one of each a 223, 243, 7mm08, 7mmwsm, 308, 300 wsm.

lmao and can i move in with you cus the boss aint gonna allow all that spending, i have the 243 already, i just want one more, just one...............for now<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STRICK9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your gonna wind up with both anyway, but what you really need is one of each a 223, 243, 7mm08, 7mmwsm, 308, 300 wsm. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STRICK9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your gonna wind up with both anyway, but what you really need is one of each a 223, 243, 7mm08, 7mmwsm, 308, 300 wsm. </div></div>

There you go strick!

Ida kept that 338 in the mix as well but my pocket book kept a skweeln a little to loud every time she went bang. You can get bang flops a lot cheaper. The shootn is in the shooter. Of the two then go 308 and shoot well, its a short action, its cheaper to shoot, it kills stone cold dead and there are more more everything everywhere for the caliber. That is unless.. and theres a lot of unlesses.

yeah thats what im leaning towards is the .308, plus who the hell wnats to shoot a whole box of shells through a synthetic 7mag, i had a 300wm and its amazing the difference in kick between the 7mm and the 300wm, well say i choose the .308 how much of a difference in fps is the 20" barrel vs. say 26"???? hornady 150gr sst says 3000fps on the box, where do you think i would actually be with a 20"

Something else to possibly consider is barrel life. A .308 will give you much longer service in that department. If it is just a deer gun then it may not make much difference, but you did mention going through a whole box of shells so there may be a little more to it, not sure just speculating.

As far as barrel length goes you are probably going to lose a little less than 20 fps per inch for every inch under 26. 20 inches has been found to be pretty optimal for .308. On the other end of the spectrum you will not really gain anything appreciable by going over 26, imo. Again, as it is a deer rifle a shorter barrel gives you less weight and a more maneuverable rifle. A longer barrel will give you the most benefit with heavier bullets, upwards of about 175. This could be important if you wanted to load up for larger critters or just wanted to lob high B.C. rounds like the .208 A-Max.

If it is just a hunting rifle...hard to go wrong with 7mm Mag.

If it is a fun/plinking/informal competition rifle that get taken hunting....308 wins every time. Nicer to shoot, better selection of good ammo (so you will find one that shoots really well from your rifle), and if you spend time on thr range you will find that the 7 Mag doesn't actually streach your reach by much, and a 180grn bonded core bullet from a .308 works well on everything from Moose down...as does a 175grn bonded core (or TSX) bullet from a 7mm Mag...

I bought a 700 sendero in 1995, way before the new trend. Everyone was 300 wmag, then. I glass bedded it and bore lapped it, thats it. That gun shoots .25-.5MOA out to 850yds. Handloads for it really make it shine. I shoot a 162gr AMAX at 3250 fps, BC .0605. SMK 168's are another great load. The Secret Service used 7mm rmag for yrs. I think it won the 1000 Camp Perry match in the Late 60's. Its like the Big Brother to the 243, Lean Mean and Accurate as heck! Now, everyone up here is 7mm mag..!!!!

I think 28 is the optimal barrel length in a 7mm rem mag. You want to use a good slow burning powder and let the pressure build up. I cant remember the exact number from buying a custom bbl, but its 26+. Now that there are SMK 175 in 7mm mag, best LR round!

with good range estimation and knowledge of your rifle/cartridge's trajectory, a .308 can do whatever a 7mag can do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniper762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">with good range estimation and knowledge of your rifle/cartridge's trajectory, a .308 can do whatever a 7mag can do. </div></div>

Negative ghost rider, not for hunting anyway imho.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STRICK9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your gonna wind up with both anyway, but what you really need is one of each a 223, 243, 7mm08, 7mmwsm, 308, 300 wsm. </div></div>

Almost like that for me except

223, 6.8, 7x57(going to build myself next year), 7wsm(going to have custom built), 308(just finishing), 8x57

If you handload, theres no question! Theres a reason everyone went to 7mm, look at the BC of the 168/175 smk's. Then for hunting you can shoot 175 or even the Barnes 190 tankbuster round.

Own both but have never used the 308 on game. God knows how old the 7mm is, I've had it for 25 years. Have taken 2 deer and I can't remember how many hogs with it, has always done well for me with factory ammo. That reminds me I need to find someone to re-barrel it.

I went for both in a somewhat half-assed manner.
I've got a 7mmRM 700 BDL that's bone stock, for now. I also have a DPMS LR308B. Both are waiting for optics.

I couldn't make up my mind, so I went for both. Neither have optics yet, but that's okay. I'm a patient man.

For me, the 308 works for the deer in the woods, and it'll have SS 3X9 on top. I'll be getting that set up before this fall. The 7mm is my toy that'll be used if I get a chance for some Elk out west.

Long story short . . . I guess it depends. But for me, if I'm looking for a bolt gun that's gonna be accurate out to 600-800 yards, and still have enough umph to take down a bull . . . The 7mm is the way to go . . .

That said, I bought the 308 first, because I'll be doing most of MY shooting against deer at <200 yards . . .

So . . .What are you hunting?

I have a custom 7mmRm that I've used for years of hunting. Very accurate, reasonable weight, 9lbs loaded w/bipod and deadly on anything. Per my bore scope, barrel life looks to be very good.

If you are looking for a hunting rifle and are at all recoil sensitive, I would go with the 308 because most people do not shoot sporter weight magnums well enough to take advantage of the better ballistics. The recoil just does not work for them.

Also, most "long range" hunting shots are about 300+ yards and the 308 will do that just fine. The mag has more energy and will do a better job of handling shots a poor angles but you have to be able to hit your target for that to make a difference.

IMO, the 308 will do everything the general hunter need it to do.

140.jpg

Heavy bodied mule deer buck killed with a single shot at 470 meters with my Surgeon .308...broadside shot took out both lungs. He ran about 50 meters before going down...very bled out and very dead.

BTW that barrel has 4000+ rounds through it and still shoots in the .3's...try that with a 7 mag....

I have both. I've used both extensively. Both are extremely accurate. So it all boils down to what mood I'm in. Not trying to be an ass, but honestly, whatever you are comfortable with. I've never been asked by an animal what caliber I was using.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rackchaser71</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> i didnt find much in the search comparing these two, thanks </div></div>

A better comparison would be a 308 and a 7mm08. </div></div>

What he said... though all of them are fine cartridges

I have had both and shot deer with both. The 308 I had was much more accurate than the 7 mag but the 7 mag just did so much more damage to the animals I shot with it than the 308. They rarely ran when they got hit with the 7 mag and they seemed to always run with the 308. The 308 killed them just as dead though so you are good to go with either of the two.

Very interesting and timely topic...a friend and I are just starting to plan an antelope hunt for this year and I'm thinking of trying work up a load for my GAP .308. I usually take my SHR 970 7 mag for deer hunting and my first thought was the 7 mag would be really good for antelope. But as accurate as that 7 mag is, the .308 is a much more accurate shooter and with the heavier stock and brake, a lot less punishing to shoot (though heavier to carry). I'll probably end up taking both, but I'm going to work up some TSX loads for the .308 to see how they do and use it as the primary rifle for the hunt.

Someone please school me on this. A .308 with a heavy bullet delivers about 3000 ftlb of energy while a similar weight 7mmRM is about 3200 ft.lb. Are we referring to this ~200ft.lb difference that makes 7mmRM so much more devastating?

For conversation-

My 7mmRM with 168 VLDs @ 3100FPS. FPE at the muzzle- 3585. FPE at 1000yrds- 1137.

My 308 with 175VLDs @ 2750. FPE at the muzzle- 2939. FPE at 1000yrds- 639.

Same 308 with 190s @ 2670. FPE at the muzzle- 3008. FPE at 1000yrds- 796

It's all a personal preference. 7mm is an excellent round with a high BC and it's going to retain a whole lot more energy comparitively at distance than a .308. But if you're using it for hunting, you can't kill anything deader than dead, albeit they may run for a bit before falling. They're both excellent rounds but it all comes down to a personal preference. .308 will be a little better on the wallet too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rackchaser71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ive had my new rifle choice narrowed down to these two, i notice not alot of people are shooting the 7mag, the .308 holds energy to long distances but the 7mag is a monster, its going to be a deer gun, i love the price of the .308 ammo but love the ballistics of the 7mag, whats your opinion, i didnt find much in the search comparing these two, thanks </div></div>

Do you reload?