• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 w/ IMR 4064 and 175 SMK

I found 3 nodes using 175 Berger OTM from a Rem700 24" bbl. 41.8 (Dan Newberry's data). Then after performing an OCW test, I found two other nodes; 42.9 and 44.5gr of IMR 4064, Lapua cases and Fed 210.

41.8 velocity was 2552 with SD of 20 (6 shots) Was about a 1" group with flyer (all me), but has shot under 1/2 moa multiple times out to 500 meters. Usually around 3/4 moa is normal though.

42.9 velocity was 2647 with SD of 14 (6 shots) Best group of these 3 loads at just under 4/10"

44.5 velocity was 2711 with SD of 31 (fired 6 shots, but only 4 were on chronograph data--super weird) just over 1/2"

These were also 6 shot groups as I just happened to have 18 pieces of unprepped brass left.

I just did this test yesterday, after doing the initial OCW test a couple weeks ago, but I had been shooting the 41.8 load for the last 300 rounds or so with good results. But for my gun, the 42.9 looks a bit better. Need to go back out and confirm at longer distances to be certain.

Last edited:
remington 5r. i started shooting federal gold, mostly 168s before i got into reloading.

when i started reloading and continue to this day i try to load to federal gold specs (muzzle velocity and so forth) which gives me very good (sometimes .5MOA 5 shot groups at 300 to 500 meters)

175 smk federal gold brass, 210m primers 42.4 4064
168 smk federal gold brass, 210m primers 42.5 4064
175 smk lappua brass 210m primers 43 varget

what i understand federal does is when they get a batch of powder they test it to find a desired muzzle velocity and then they use that measure for manufacturing with the current batch. so my take on sleuthing federal gold components is thats its very close, but if you want to make sure, you need to verify that you get approximately the same performance out of your components as you get out of off-the-shelf federal gold ammo, which performs well in lots of different rifles..

i played around with loading hotter, and played with 155 scenars but i get all the performance i can use out of approximating federal gold specs with 168 and 175 smks in my 308.

Sorry for the long delay, just noticed the question.

Rem 700, nothing is stock from Remington. Receiver trued. PT&G bolt. Kreiger 1:11 26" with Harrell 4-port brake. Jewell trigger set to 2.5 lbs. McM A5, receiver pillar-bedded into stock. Badger bottom metal, steel rail and rings. Rail bedded onto receiver. Leupold mark 4, 10x fixed. Cases full-length sized using a Dillon carbide die. length = chamber minus .001. According to my RCBS case gauge, case length is .002 over nominal. I have more than one weapon that consumes this ammo with similar results.