• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 win 110 gr subsonic loads?

TOP PREDATOR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
SCRANTON AREA PENNSYLVANIA
used the search here and elsewhere, can't find anything on 110 subsonic loads for .308 win. - lots on the 110 for whisper + blackout, but not .308 win.

if anyone has a .308 SS 110 vmax, HP, or RN load, please let me know.

i don't know of is it possible to do without S.E.E. with such a light grained head or if the bullet design of the vmax or HP will not be any more effective in expansion than a 180 RN

for use on coyotes, around semi rural developements using the same .308 rig used with regular loads, 1:10 twist 17" barrel.

thanks for any info

Any reason for the 110 exclusively? Or is that what you happen to have? I tried a lot of different bullets in my quest for a good subsonic round. I ended up stopping at the 180gr rn speer. Even in my 1:12 twist it shoots great, sub moa.

With your twist you could probably easily use a 200+

I would actually like to know the benefit of such a light round for ss because you are not the first person ive seen use them. I'm not being sarcastic, I'd actually like to know lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

I would suggest a projectile that's designed to operate at milder velocities, much like the ones intended for .30-30's; like the SRA 125gr Pro-Hunter or NOS 125gr BT.

Also, the case capacity of the .308 is really very roomy for driving lightweight bullets at such low velocities.

That's one if the reasons I acquired a Savage 10FCP Scout chambered in 7.62x39, which also employs a USA standard .308" diameter bore. Subsonics are not currently on my menu, but I wanted to have the option someday.

Greg

^ that's mainly the reason, having the option to go subsonic with the very same bullet i currently use for coyotes at regular velocities in areas that the regular loads may be a little too noisey. i was worried about all that space in the case. searching here and elswhere probably going to use trailboss.

reason 2 is i'm thinking the light bullet in a subsonic is that it may be less of an arc / drop than using 165, 168 , or 180's - but the trade off may be the lighter slug will exit the muzzle quicker and be "a wash" when doing a subsonic load.

reason 3 is the fragmentaion of the vmax, but it may be be another mute point if they don't do what they do at a slower velocity.

i looked at the 125's, but honestly with the components either being an arm and a leg if available at all, it's not like a few years ago when you can go and get 5 or six boxes of different heads just to try and put them to the side if they don't work to expectation through experimentation. was thinkin of switching to the sierra 110 varminter HP's, but my heart belongs to hornady, and having just the 110 vmaxes and 165 ssts around to work with seems a bit more convienant. but out of the two i think the 110's may be the $hit, that is if it's feasible.

greg l., in another thread, i was looking for a 165 SST load using IMR4198. as you have been around a bit, any advice on that? i had my .308 figured out, then cut the barrel, now back figuring out the shorter barrel. i got the 110's with 4198 and 3031, with 4198 seeingly the better of the two. would like to try both with 165's , but can't find any 4198 data + 165 gr heads. just rolled 165's and 3031 and pending weather will chrony on friday. afian trying to keep it simple with 1 powder for both heads.

Last edited:
Ahh ok, that makes more sense. I also use trail boss. Cant think of a fluffier powder. Its what i use in my 45 colt rounds when i just want to plink without the punishment of my 454 rounds with win 296. It really is a nice powder.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Have you looked at a bullet specifically designed for subsonic use?
The 200grain Lapua : Soft Point
More info »
Subsonic

Lapua is the most widely used 7.62 mm caliber subsonic ammunition for military and law enforcement special operations. Designed especially for specialized short barrelled tactical rifles that have sound suppressors.

This may very well be your very best bet.

yeah i think i have t go with a heavy, just wondering if there are any safe 110 pet loads.

i looked in the subsonic section, but couldn't find any .308 110's here or elsewhere.

maybe that's telling me something.

I have been playing around with 155 smk's. They work pretty well but even with 155 grain you have to be careful to keep them quiet and the case fairly full. With my average temp (85) i have to dance around 1020 to 1030 to be safe. I am going to look more at the 175-200 gr bullets. I think i will have better luck. Plus the 200gr will deliver a little over 400 foot punds on target at 100 yards.

I plink with SS 110 gr fmj's or soft point out of a 308. I haven't really done too much load development for them but I just stick 10 grains of trail boss in a 308 case and let er rip.
I don't think you'll have a problem with the vmax not opening up.
I realize this isn't apples to apples, (and not remotely scientific) A friend and I had shot several 180 grain nosler BT at different things, mostly through a 2x4 and into water jugs to see what they did, at 100M. No expansion, just bent bullets.
I shot a 87 gr vmax from my 243. at around 1200 fps I think. (9 grains of trail boss no chrony) into some water jugs at 75M. It blew up completely and shredded 3, 1 gallon water jugs that were in a row(no piece of wood in front of them). The biggest piece of jacket I found would be maybe 1/4 the size of your pinky finger nail.
Like I said, Not scientific at all, but if you have some 110vmax's for your 308, I'd make up some sub loads and test em out on something. I think they will still fragment pretty well.

I used 110 grain v-max's out of my savage and it shot them well, I used blue dot in it and it shot very well at 100 yards but when you go to 200 yards its almost 11 inches of drop. I found that the best bullet to shoot sub loads in my gun with blue dot was 165 grain hornady match. I got a group that you could cover up with a nickel at 100 yards. most people will steer you away from blue dot in a rifle case, they managed to steer me away due to the fact that it is unpredictable. it isn't a reduced pressure load it is a reduced gas load. it operates at near normal pressures. there was a guy named seafire on another site that I talked to about working up a load, it worked well but I didn't want to wear a savage receiver as a horn in my forehead!! that being said I never saw any signs of high pressure.