• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 win 168 - 178 loads with Ramshot Tac?

Sincerd

Drone
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2019
Freestate
Anyone have success with this combo? 168 - 178 amax, eldm, smk or RDF. Specifically in a gasser. I've seen it brought up in a few of the 308 lost but conversations always change to varget or RL 15.

That RE-15 with a 168 SMK was considered a PET load back in the day. It was shown as the accuracy load in the Sierra Manual.
It was 42.0 grains of RE-15, and the TAC load was also 42.0 but Tac came in a little faster but also hit pressure sooner.

If TAC is what you have, no reason not to give it a try. For some folks, it works and is available.

Yep, can get it pretty cheap if you live near a Cabela's. Avoid shipping charges and Hazmat even after their ridiculous pricing, you can come out on top with one of the 15% off coupons.

I've had trouble with TAC in semi auto. Found accuracy when pressure hit the point of damaging brass due to bolt unlocking while under pressure. If I backed down my load brass looked great but velocity and accuracy went all over the place. I've tried Berger 155, 168 hybrid and 175 smk. Various brass brands including Lapua, tried two different 20" barrels, various gas block adjustments, various buffer weights...

Maybe you will have better success.

Not semi auto, but 41.5 grains of tac and a 175 RDF with a Winchester LRP works fantastic for me in my Savage Elite Precision.

Reactions: worrdogg
Tac works just fine in 308 with 168 or 175 bullets. Their load data is posted online for free, very helpful. They even have the balls to post 5.56 data.

Tac does swing with temp more than varget, but it will shoot fine. It seems to clean up and get more consistent near the top of the load data fwiw, but i do not load MAX with it like i might with varget because of the extra temp variable.

No issues with 5.56 or 308 gassers eating Tac here, but I do have adjustable gas on them.

Varget is my go to for 223 and 308 bolt and gasser, 69smk and 175 respectively. Well, we all know how fun varget is to find, so i worked a new load up using tac since I scored some local. Feeds through a powder measure! Been shooting it out to 600 yards, no complaints. Prefer varget, but tac will work fine.

For me tac really shines in carbine loads and practical style shooting inside 500 yards, not shooting tiny groups from benchrest rigs. Its consistent enough and priced right AND AVAILABLE lol. Fast loading with thrown charges is pretty amazing when youre used to varget lol, so yeah, will be burning plenty of tac with no issues here.

Yes yes of course there are other powders that work and meter... but i got a hell of a deal on a shit ton of tac when nothing else was in play AND the OP asked about TAC, so im thinking a similar situation there lol.

I've had trouble with TAC in semi auto. Found accuracy when pressure hit the point of damaging brass due to bolt unlocking while under pressure. If I backed down my load brass looked great but velocity and accuracy went all over the place. I've tried Berger 155, 168 hybrid and 175 smk. Various brass brands including Lapua, tried two different 20" barrels, various gas block adjustments, various buffer weights...

Maybe you will have better success.

Same here with 168 smk's in my POF

Didn't see decent accuracy until I was at or over western powders max, and brass was taking a beating.

SD was 44fps

ES was 107fps

With 41.5 gr's it's 2 1/2 - 3 moa at 100 so I use it for plinking, and it also meters like water in a PM.

Reactions: KZP
I don't have my book with me, but fairly certain 40.5 TAC ended up being my charge under a 175 smk in IVI (~184gr) brass @2.830 COL. Right at or a hair under 2500fps and 1.1 moa out of my 18" Criterion barreled M5 with the one 5 shot group I shot. Hoping it's consistent when I get back to it, if so it will be my bulk LR load as long as my dillon measure will throw it as consistently as I'm betting it will. Should be able to tighten it up a bit playing with seating depth too. I had another promising load around 41.5, but it was getting rougher on brass than I wanted for the speed gained.

With as expensive and hard to obtain as varget has been the past few years, really hoping it works out to get away from it, and being able to load by volume is a huge advantage...if it works out.

Reactions: Sincerd