• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 308 Win, 208 AMax, RL17

The jugs should have been filled with Tannerite...................................Now THAT would be fun. Nice "Chutin".

anyone Vihtavuori N150 in 26" ,1/12"barrel ?
my next try will be the ladder test w.200hpbt & 190Berger,both moly_
I don'y have more than 300mts,here,anyway_
(thanks for this tread, by the way !)

Last edited:
I hear that N550 is particularly good with heavier bullets but when I look at Lapua Reloading Data they only give charge weights up to 190gr Sierra HBPT. Does anyone know or suggest start loads for N550 with the 208gr Amax ?

Not 4350, but am trying Hunter with the 208. Accuracy was good, speed a bit lower than I'd like. Am going to give 2000-MR a try, as it seems to be a little slower than RL15/Varget but a bit faster than RL17 and has done very well with 185 class bullets for me.

I hear that N550 is particularly good with heavier bullets but when I look at Lapua Reloading Data they only give charge weights up to 190gr Sierra HBPT. Does anyone know or suggest start loads for N550 with the 208gr Amax ?
my load was with 47.0 gr. at 3.070 COL win. brass, cci # 200 primer. I have a match PTG chamber.

47 grain of n550 behind a 208? Thats impressive.

I started with 45 grain, but that gave me not enough speed. I ended with 46 but this starts to give light pressure signs. I could go to 46.1 but 46 is already a light compressed load. The 46gr gives me 810mps out of a 32inch barrel with 1-10 twist, more than enough for me. 47 will not fit in my chamber, the bullits are already almost touching the lands.

About the n150 question.
I doubt that n150 will do anything good with bullits heavier (longer) than 175gr tips, especially from a "short" barrel like a 26. And 1-12 is a bit slow for heavies...

47 grain of n550 behind a 208? Thats impressive.

I started with 45 grain, but that gave me not enough speed. I ended with 46 but this starts to give light pressure signs. I could go to 46.1 but 46 is already a light compressed load. The 46gr gives me 810mps out of a 32inch barrel with 1-10 twist, more than enough for me. 47 will not fit in my chamber, the bullits are already almost touching the lands.

About the n150 question.
I doubt that n150 will do anything good with bullits heavier (longer) than 175gr tips, especially from a "short" barrel like a 26. And 1-12 is a bit slow for heavies...

I don'have a chrono, and this was only on old try at 100mts, 26" 1-12 700varmint,anyway_ as can be seen, I'm not a fine shooter, but all the 10 shots have landed there w/out effort,therefore I'm of the opinion that this (quick) group can be easily bettered_ this was the reason behind my question to truly knowledgeable shooters/hanloaders_

Attachments

• 200grs&N150.jpg
    200grs&N150.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
If that is the average kind of grouping you get with them heavies....i would not worry to much, that is more than sufficient. The only drawback you might encounter will be not enough speed, so for long range wind and stability might become an issue. But if you seldom shoot beyond 300, than that is no issue either.

I would agree about lr speed/stability problems , even pumpin'up the dose_ the 10rds.group shows my bad habits only, anyway_ my next full ladder tests, w.N150 & heavies, will be ( I should say "must") oriented to find the nodes allowing their best accuracy inside the distance allowed here_ 500 or more is quite a rare event, here, but your observation could motivate me to ladder test even the N140, with the same bullet weights, having seen what a friend, better shooter than me, has obtained with them from his 26" 1-12 PSS_
Thanks for your answer !

Last edited:
Has anyone tried h4350 or imr 4350 with the 208g amax.

I shot H4350 and a 215 Berger this past weekend at 100 and 300 yards. Had two distinct nodes at 46.3 and 47.5. 46.3 was running 2550 and 47.5 was 2605. Didn't see any pressure in either one using some test brass with 7 hot firings on them. Would somebody with Quickloads run the numbers on that and see what pressure it gives at a 3.100 Coal and Lapua brass. It was slightly compressed at 46.3 and really compressed at 47.5. 46.3 was one hole at 100 and 3/4" at 300 for 4 shots only though. 29.5" tube also.

So, finnally got to try the 208amax on some long range shootin.
Like mentioned before, shootin a trg22 308w with a 32inch barrel, givin me 2650fps
If it would not give me any advantage, i promissed myself, i would have the barrel shortend back to 20 inch and go back to lighter bullits....however, they surprised me quite happily.

We went to a privatly owned hunting ground, where you can shoot long range when it is off hunting season.
The owner has one rule, before he will let you shoot long range, you must first hit a 10inch round steel target at 580yards. I laserd the target, used the kestrel for barometrics and windage, put in the data in a pda with FFS and with some luck my first round connected with the steel, just a 2 inch high of center.

At 699.9 yards ( cant help it, range was 640m) i shot a 5 shot group of 4.7 inch
Hitting a steel target at 1046 yards i connected those heavy amax tips quite easily at a target of 16 by 24 inch. Elevation was dead on, windage was off within 2 mill the first 2 rounds.

But what amazed me the most was hitting the same sized steel target at a whopping 1430yards; the first round hit steel, so my spotter called me a lucky SOB. To use the same wind i reloaded fast and the second impacted almost on the same spot. Then i got cocky so my third and fourth just missed to the right, since i missed that the wind had picked up a bit. However the fifth round again connected putting those 3 rounds in a 6.7 inch group. With the 2 nearmisses the group was roughly 20 inch big.

Later in the afternoon i also shoot a 10 shot group on paper at 1430 yards, 7 out of 10 i got on paper, 3 rounds went to the right. However, those 7 round group had an height of no more than 4 inch. The width was 29 inches, due to my lack of wind reading capabilities...but still, not bad for a 308w at that range.

At the last day we also got to shoot at the same sized steel target, but now on a freakin long range of 1756 yards.
It took me some rounds to find the right windage, the elevation was deadon (it was constantly deadon, i am very happy with FFS capabilities, after trueing only once). However, windage was off by 1.5 mill and the wind was doing funny things throwing rounds from left to right, albeit not that far from the target.
Once i had found the right numbers, i was able to connect 3 out of 5 rounds, and later that day another 3 out of 6.

All in all, i am pretty happy with these results and for now will leave the barrel as it is, just will have to get used to the length and weight of this beast for now.

;)

Reactions: GotCox
I am using RL17 under a 208hpbt with great results average is 2600 46.5 rl17 col 2.68 My only problem with it right now is my bolt won't cycle smoothly it doesn't have a heavy bolt lift it just gets stuck a little at the top of the bolt throw it is difficult to explain but annoying. I have checked the primers and I have checked the cases and there is no flowing and no marks of pressure signs. Anyone else have similar problems with their r700.

So, finnally got to try the 208amax on some long range shootin.
Like mentioned before, shootin a trg22 308w with a 32inch barrel, givin me 2650fps
If it would not give me any advantage, i promissed myself, i would have the barrel shortend back to 20 inch and go back to lighter bullits....however, they surprised me quite happily.

We went to a privatly owned hunting ground, where you can shoot long range when it is off hunting season.
The owner has one rule, before he will let you shoot long range, you must first hit a 10inch round steel target at 580yards. I laserd the target, used the kestrel for barometrics and windage, put in the data in a pda with FFS and with some luck my first round connected with the steel, just a 2 inch high of center.

At 699.9 yards ( cant help it, range was 640m) i shot a 5 shot group of 4.7 inch
Hitting a steel target at 1046 yards i connected those heavy amax tips quite easily at a target of 16 by 24 inch. Elevation was dead on, windage was off within 2 mill the first 2 rounds.

But what amazed me the most was hitting the same sized steel target at a whopping 1430yards; the first round hit steel, so my spotter called me a lucky SOB. To use the same wind i reloaded fast and the second impacted almost on the same spot. Then i got cocky so my third and fourth just missed to the right, since i missed that the wind had picked up a bit. However the fifth round again connected putting those 3 rounds in a 6.7 inch group. With the 2 nearmisses the group was roughly 20 inch big.

Later in the afternoon i also shoot a 10 shot group on paper at 1430 yards, 7 out of 10 i got on paper, 3 rounds went to the right. However, those 7 round group had an height of no more than 4 inch. The width was 29 inches, due to my lack of wind reading capabilities...but still, not bad for a 308w at that range.

At the last day we also got to shoot at the same sized steel target, but now on a freakin long range of 1756 yards.
It took me some rounds to find the right windage, the elevation was deadon (it was constantly deadon, i am very happy with FFS capabilities, after trueing only once). However, windage was off by 1.5 mill and the wind was doing funny things throwing rounds from left to right, albeit not that far from the target.
Once i had found the right numbers, i was able to connect 3 out of 5 rounds, and later that day another 3 out of 6.

All in all, i am pretty happy with these results and for now will leave the barrel as it is, just will have to get used to the length and weight of this beast for now.

;)

WELL DONE!! 1 mile with a .308 !!! PURE AWESOMENESS!! That just goes to show that with the right set up ( 32"bbl" and a 208 amax ) what your capable of doing with a .30 cal. I kind of have the same thing( 30" Broughton 5c ) chambered for the 215 and 230 bergers in a .300 win mag. Also have a .308 on a stiller Tac 30 (bartlein #9 at 28") chambered for the 208 but the juggernauts shoot so well it's kind of hard to switch.
If you don't mind men asking .. What's your ASL?? And how fast were you running them. Also G1 or G7 ??
Congrats again .... That's something to be proud of!!

Thanx, since then been using it for hunting aswell with good results for precision, a little bit strong on energy.
Not sure what ASL stands for due to lack of english, my guess is you mean lenght of cartidge? If so, they no longer fit in the magazine, i need to hand load them.
Muzzle velocity is 809mps, thats 2654fps if i recall correctly.
I used FFS and this ballistic programm only works with g1 bc nrs.

I've been trying to get the 208's to shoot out of my SPS-V 26" 1-12 with varget (can't find any rl17 locally) but they just won't group worth a damn at longer ranges. It'll shoot them .5" at 100 but my best so far is over 3" at 200 yards and they were all over the place at 850 yards. Anyone had rl17 transform they're accuracy with the 208's at longer ranges or should I give up on em?
I have a great load with 178 amax's that shot 10 rounds in a 7" group last weekend at 1000 yards, just wondering if it's worth ordering some rl17 and paying the hazmat fee's.

I shot H4350 and a 215 Berger this past weekend at 100 and 300 yards. Had two distinct nodes at 46.3 and 47.5. 46.3 was running 2550 and 47.5 was 2605. Didn't see any pressure in either one using some test brass with 7 hot firings on them. Would somebody with Quickloads run the numbers on that and see what pressure it gives at a 3.100 Coal and Lapua brass. It was slightly compressed at 46.3 and really compressed at 47.5. 46.3 was one hole at 100 and 3/4" at 300 for 4 shots only though. 29.5" tube also.

So your telling me that you can run a 215 out of a 308win with h4350 faster than I can run a 208 out of my 06 with the same powder? I would like to see that in person!!!

Sorry almost as fast... I'm running at 2650 with 53.5 h4350 and a 208amax out of a 26" SAC built 06. If everything was relative maybe I could get 3000fps out of the 06 with a 208???

Last edited:
Ok so I've finally jumped on this 208 band wagon with my 20" Surgeon (1/11.25). I figured this would make awesome round for Mules this fall.

So far I've only developed load data with varget as RL17 seems to be a little tricky to find (ironic i know). Using once fired LC LR brass primed with BR2s and an OAL of 2.9" I started at 37.5 and worked up from there with a goal of 2450 FPS. Hornady books has a max at 40.0 but I creeped the loads up to 44.2 which started to make me very nervous. Besides from some lite ejector marks I wasn't getting any pressure signs which really weirded me out, no super flat primers with creators, no heavy bolt lift, frankly I just can see how a load like that wouldn't be excessive so I stop. I took a look at the bolt afterward and noted some very slight marks on the backside of the lugs. Honestly I've never really inspected my bolt this closely before in the last 4000 rounds. I'm not overly concerned about it as I fired another 300 rounds of M118LR since then with no effect on accuracy or function. I've attached some pics of the bolt (although I admit they are not the best) any thoughts on the origin of the marks are welcome.

That said I when back to 42.0-42.5 and as you can see from the last pic this looks to be a sweet spot for me and it put me right at 2466 FPS with an SD of 4 for 20 rounds.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 61
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 78
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    923.9 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    639.5 KB · Views: 66
Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the venerable .308, but I see a lot of embellishment in this thread...

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the venerable .308, but I see a lot of embellishment in this thread...

I'm shooting loads over a chrony today to get an ES for 10 shots. I'll post results. I had no luck at long range with the palma brass and 4350, shot good at 1 and 300 but ES was too high and showed at longer ranges with verticle going back to regular brass now. Ro bird, my gun shoots best also with 42 grains of varget, if the 4350 doesn't show something spectacular today I will be back to the slower but more accurate varget load.

LOL, I always ask if I need to keep a lid on anything, the train has left the station, I have not disclosed anything I was told not to ; ) Like the new synthetic jacket material that's light weight and can withstand DA H E A T!

My GF just made the Tampa Bay NFL cheerleader squad during draft day, so I been BUSY! Will try n get to those 5.56 85gr black tips soon n post pics.

It's only ankle deep........if you are in head first.

QL backs up his claim within 25 fps.

What does QL say about an 06 with same bullet and same powder out of a 26" 10 twist? I just don't see how it is possible to come that close to a cartridge with over 7 grains more powder.

I got a bit different results I tried Hornady match .308 208gr BTHP. Remington 700 SA .308, 28"/w can, 1-8 barrel. Elevation: 4480 ft, BP: 25.05, Temperature: 85 deg/F. I saw pressure signs at 44.5g and stopped after 4 shoots. The following data was collected with my Magnetospeed V2 chronograph.

Series 4 Shots: 19
Min 2431 Max 2589
Avg 2523 S-D 54
ES 158

Series Shot Speed
RL-17, 43g
4 1 2457 ft/sec
4 2 2431 ft/sec
4 3 2498 ft/sec
4 4 2433 ft/sec
4 5 2450 ft/sec
43.5g

4 6 2490 ft/sec
4 7 2492 ft/sec
4 8 2500 ft/sec
4 9 2511 ft/sec
4 10 2536 ft/sec
44g

4 11 2556 ft/sec
4 12 2566 ft/sec
4 13 2557 ft/sec
4 14 2573 ft/sec
4 15 2578 ft/sec
44.5g

4 16 2585 ft/sec
4 17 2589 ft/sec
4 18 2581 ft/sec
4 19 2570 ft/sec

Thanks,
Rich L

Last edited:
Love the 308, finally picked up some 208 Amax's got my brass and primer's but can't find any rl17 to save my life,wished like hell varget or xbr8208 would work I have that and now it seems u can't find it either I will be hitting the S.A. gun show at the end of the month hopefully somebody there will have it.Thanks MM I have alway's took crap from friend's about my 308 can't wait to work up some load's and set back and laugh at their ass for a change.

Mostly AMAX so far,...what about perhaps some of the heavy Berger or even Lapua offerings infront of RL17?

Now that could get real interesting at long range.

Are you guys full length sizing or neck sizing. I'm having issues with this bullet/powder combo and neck sizing.

I've been mostly neck sizing with a Lee Collet Die. Also use a Redding body die to bump the shoulder back when they start getting too snug in the chamber.

Has anybody tried the 208s with 2000mr? I'd like to give it a shot. My 208 load with 44gr of re17 seemed to have a good bit of crunch to it when seating the bullets. I can't increase the coal because I feed from a mag.

I am really confused about some results I am getting with this combo.
Zeroed my AAC-SD at 100 yards. Moved out to 200 yards and only shot 2.75" low on one group and 3.25 inches low on the next.
Facts:
R700 AAC-SD 20" 1/10 twist
208 Amax
RL17 @45.5 grains
OAL 3.075
Winchester Brass
CCI LR Primers
6000 ft elevation
75 degrees
Failed to check barometer

If I plug numbers into any ballsitic calculator I have to hit 2750fps before the groups start resembling their actual measured drop.

Please let me know what I forgot.

Hey Montana Marine,

I want to bring this thread back. This load helped me win my first competition and get me out to 1200 yards.
It's in a Savage 10 Fcp-sr the original with a 24" 1/10 twist.

Lapua brass
210 Federal primer
45.48 gn of RL17
Coal-2.9825"? I'll have to check its been a while
2637 FPS
SD-9

I'm at 6400' elevation so that helps!!

Thanks again, IanHusaberg

I ran this load for 3 years in my custom .308.

45.5g RL17
2535 fps from a 26" bartlein

I pushed up to 2600 fps but started seeing ejector marks in the brass so I backed down.

Got approx 12 loads out of Hornady brass when I started noticing some neck cracking and cases starting to separate.

Accuracy was always ok 3/4 MOA, but I kept tinkering with loads and bullets. Finally landed on a 185 Berger and took the groups down to 4/10"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's hard to believe my lapua brass didn't make it to 10 loadings with primer pockets getting loose at around the 6th firing and now on the 9th with about 10 cases that wouldn't hold federal 210m primers, so I switched to some winchester ones that were a little tighter. We'll see what happens with the velocity. cases will be retired with this load and I'll try Wolf primers in a semi auto and that will be there last stop to the garbage can! I have had several one hole groups with this load though. I really need to try that moly or nickel hex boron with the next barrel i get going.

For my high wind days in 308 I have run RL17@43grs in MIL brass over ruski primers and the 208 AMAX. The tips didnt melt into pixie tears and 2780fps+ without any stress or pressure signs ASL. Chamber is M852 NATO in an AIAW . Bullet is 175 Scenar L and drives well to 1200yrds.Barrel is 27" poly rifled.

For my high wind days in 308 I have run RL17@43grs in MIL brass over ruski primers and the 208 AMAX. The tips didnt melt into pixie tears and 2780fps+ without any stress or pressure signs ASL. Chamber is M852 NATO in an AIAW . Bullet is 175 Scenar L and drives well to 1200yrds.Barrel is 27" poly rifled.

I think your right about the Pixies tears, poor Pixies!!!!!!!

I think your right about the Pixies tears, poor Pixies!!!!!!!

Sorry Ian,I merged two differnt loads into one thought! The 208 driven hard don't melt in 308 or for that matter in 300wm.I have pushed the 208 AMAX out to one mile plus in the 300WM and have yet to witness the pixie dust melted plastic. Hornady made aluminum tipped bullets in the past and had they continued we would have ground breaking BC as per the ALCO offerings. It is apparently too harsh ( or was then) on the production tooling. The ELD are a cheap hard plastic insert combined with marketing hype= price hike. I still launch the 175 scenar in 308 and the 220gr now in my 300wm.I like the hornady product on game and paper but the price push upwards slightly grabs my shit.

A-max 208gr 0.648 bc
Many years later and tech getting better
ELD 208gr 0.690 bc
These bullets are very tempting to play with and i think a lot of amax load info will carry over. Did a couple searchs and didnt see much.

^Nice find - I've got a box of 208 ELD-M's, and a pound each of RL17 and RL16. Going to put them through a 24" 700 5R Gen1. Seated in Fed GMM brass, lands for my deepthroated whore are at 3.063 COAL. 178 ELD-M's like 20 off, so I'm going with 3.043, load 6 rounds every 0.5 grains, beginning with 44 grains, and shoot 2 groups of 3 for each powder charge - assuming they even stabilize in my 11.25" twist...