• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Range Report 308 Win, 208 AMax, RL17

Re: 308 Win, 208 AMax, RL17

That price isn't that good. Buying in bulk from powder valley will still offset the shipping costs especially since there will be no sales tax.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That price isn't that good. Buying in bulk from powder valley will still offset the shipping costs especially since there will be no sales tax. </div></div>

I'm aware of that, my wife gives me really dirty looks whenever I buy too much shooting stuff. I do it once in a while, and I wanted some 208 amax's right away so I could start shooting them this weekend. I have to re-do my ladder test to drop down to the velocity I want, I had been shooting way too hot the last couple times that I was shooting the 208's.

Branden

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dust_Remover</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That price isn't that good. Buying in bulk from powder valley will still offset the shipping costs especially since there will be no sales tax. </div></div>

I'm aware of that, my wife gives me really dirty looks whenever I buy too much shooting stuff. I do it once in a while, and I wanted some 208 amax's right away so I could start shooting them this weekend. I have to re-do my ladder test to drop down to the velocity I want, I had been shooting way too hot the last couple times that I was shooting the 208's.

Branden </div></div>

Women just don't understand.

Thankfully, I get home from work before my wife now and can intercept all packages before she sees them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dust_Remover</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That price isn't that good. Buying in bulk from powder valley will still offset the shipping costs especially since there will be no sales tax. </div></div>

Branden </div></div>

Women just don't understand.

Thankfully, I get home from work before my wife now and can intercept all packages before she sees them. </div></div>

Must be nice, I work afternoon/evening, and my wife works days, works great for our daughters for now, once they start school, it'll get a little rougher for me.

The nice thing is that she does understand that I have to have a hobby, and she's just glad that i'm no longer racing cars.

Branden

Went to the range today to run some 208's over the Chrono after backing off another full grain to 47.0gr RL17 from the Previous 48 that was giving me stiff bolt lift, and ejector swipe. Only had one round that gave me some ejector swipe, and I think it may have sat in a hot chamber for a little too long.

I also wanted to see how Varget would perform with the 208 amax, so it's a start to the testing that i'm doing with it, but I got some promising data to start with, the thread is here;

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1807696&#Post1807696

Like I said, all the loads were 47.0gr RL 17 loaded long, almost 3", .011" off the lands in my rifle. It's a 20" McGowen equipped Savage 10.

208_RL17_1.jpg

Shot 1: 2506
Shot 2: 2505
Shot 3: 2498

208_RL17_2.jpg

Shot 1: 2494
Shot 2: 2489
Shot 3: 2498

208_RL17_3.jpg

Shot 1: 2498
Shot 2: 2487
Shot 3: 2492

208_RL17_4.jpg

Shot 1: 2489
Shot 2: 2488
Shot 3: 2506

I don't think that the RL17 is pretty much just as accurate as the Varget, and the ES was very good across the 12 rounds that were run over the chrony. 19fps ES isn't bad in my book. I think that the accuracy deficiency on the last group was me, my rear bad was starting to slip off the back of the bench, and the 1 minute warning was sounding to the cease fire.

Now i'm going to keep running this load this way, and I'm going to see if I can find the temperature sensitivity of the powder as it gets hotter. I'm worried that it's going to be as bad as i've experienced, hence the reason I want to shoot the varget. The varget didn't seem to care if it sat in a hot chamber for a little longer than I would have like.

Thoughts? input? Things you'd like to see me try out?

Branden

I shot my 210 Bergers today behind the 50.1 gr. load I've been using. I added a 20 MOA base and rechecked the 200 yard zero. Conditions were 5155' ASL, ALT 29.71, Temp 56*F, MV 2628. I gave 30 IPHY from the iPod cals, and was hitting <MOA at 1040 yds.

This is the same load that I developed using a shorter COL and I have since lengthened the throat, so I think I will start increasing the charge weight to regain the 70 fps or so that I lost with the longer COL. it was shooting @ 2705 fps with a very compressed charge. I have yet to use my 210 SMK's or my 208's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Has anyone shot a whole sixty round match with this 208/RL17 load? Trying to anticipate how the weapon/load will function after more than 25 shot load development test...

Really edified by this thread, thanks guys.

*I am trying to figure out if moly is necessary for competition-esque longevity...</div></div>

I have shot about 120 rounds in one match without cleaning. 46 grains of RL-17 and 208s from a 22'' krieger on an AR10. The only degradation was me and being fatigued. And other times I have went about 60 between cleanings in a class. Consistent hits out to 1000 still.

I get about 2472 fps with 46 grains...and 48 shows ejector swipe pretty heavy.

Well went out to shoot the 208 in my SPS-T today at 100 yards for load development. I'm sorry to say that the accuracy sucked out of my rifle. Out of 21 shots, maybe half hit the paper and the last three (to hot to shoot again) went about 1.5 moa (just my luck). The interesting part was that all the groups speeds were VERY consistent and fast. The last group at 49.8g RE17 were going 2627fps with an ES of 12 and SD of 6. The other groups were slower but about as consistent. I'm going to try loading them lighter to see if I run into accuracy at slower speeds.

As is also always the case my dad's rifle (exactly the same gun), shot the same loads with similar velocities and grouped no bigger than 4 inches and had one group go under and inch. His rifle has always shot better for both of us than mine but what can you do, ( I'm going 7-08).

I finally got out and shot some of these 208s on Saturday. I have been pretty pleased so far.
I loaded up 5 different loads in .5 g increments from 48-50gr. I did start to get cratered primers at 49.5 gr and 1 out of the 5 shots of 50gr gave me a slightly stiff bolt. I was already above my tgt velocity and that group really opened, so i really didnt care at that point.
Here were my average velocities for 5 shot strings. These were shot out of a Savage 10 fp 24in factory barrel. Temp was 80 deg, alt 110ft, in hg 30.01, humidity was 58%. I was shooting from the supported prone at a tgt 380yds away and mirage was horrible.
48gr-2620fps
48.5gr-2664fps
49gr-2692fps
49.5gr-2699fps
50gr-2714fps
Despite the mirage accuracy was pretty good in between 48 & 48.5 gr. with 48gr having least vertical dispersion.

I went back yesterday with the following loads: 47.7, 48, 48.2, and 48.4gr.
The best group came from 48.2gr measuring c to c 1.65in 5 shot group @ 380yds, to include what appeared to be one flyer at my normal group ruining 5 o'clock position. If I can stop pulling random shots and a little load development I think I can do better. I can defiantly feel the difference in recoil between my M118lr copy that I usually shoot and this load.

I started doing a little experimenting with this combination also.....this Saturday, I did a load test, starting at 42 & going up to 48 grains. I decided to stop at 46.5 grains of RL17 since I was getting consistent 2600 fps. My bolt never got sticky, but the primers were a tad flat.....so I'll stop at this charge....besides, I was loading with the bullet into the rifling, so I don't want the pressure to spike up.

Now, I'm gonna experiment with the distance off the lands and the powder charge a tad, before posting any pics.....but with this velocity I should stay supersonic till 1400 yards.....not bad for a .308....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: robpiat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do these 208s compare to the Berger 210s? </div></div>
higher BC and cheaper price...the 208's are a win win.

Plus, the tips on the Bergers are a little inconsistent. It is hard to get precise measurements from bullet to bullet unless you use a comparator, whereas the A-MAXs are very consistent in my findings, not that it matters much, but I have a box of A-MAXs to try next...

I need to get another box of the AMAX's to try mag length out of the AR-10. I'd be giddy for 2600 fps. I'm sure I could get 2500 without any issues. How far off the lands are you guys putting them?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ffl medic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I need to get another box of the AMAX's to try mag length out of the AR-10. I'd be giddy for 2600 fps. I'm sure I could get 2500 without any issues. How far off the lands are you guys putting them? </div></div>

I have done 2.85 to 2.82 in my AR10.

2.85 is what most consider a max oal for the AR10 mag, imo it is a touch to close and I tend to load them to 2.83.

@ 46 grains of RL17 CCIs, lapua brass and a 22'' 1-12 krieger barrel on AR10, with gas adjusted down to barely cycle I get 2475fps and small amount of ejector swipe.

@ 48 grains I was getting pretty heavy ejector swipe and when I reloaded those (brand new lapua brass) primers would fall out...your results may vary but FPS was over 2550 at 48 grains.

I have the 24" T model. I might be able to squeak out a few more fps. I was intending to shoot between 46 and 48 gr. I have nothing against the 175 SMKs that shoot so well in this rifle, I just have a hard time with the wind that is quite fickle in these parts. I can't tell you how many times I've heard my spotter say, elevation is good add or subtract whatever amount windage. That gets old fast. I'd take the 208s @ 2500 or so over the 175s at 2650 any day. The SMK's do seem to be a bit cheaper in the 500 round packs though.

What differences have you guys found in altering your seating depths? Better results closer to or further from the lands, or makes no difference?

I also have a homemade gas adjuster. It seems to work pretty well even screwed all the way in. The gas port on the old Armalites was apparently huge.

Yup,

I finally found a thread on the 208 Amax. The best part about it is; it took me almost a year. For all I know, I may have already found it, tagged it, and forgot all about it.

That's why they call me Mr. Sharp

-Pat

That's the government for ya! j/k
grin.gif

Just curious....

How does the recoil with the 208 AMAX compare...say...to the 175/178gr variety of bullets? Significant? Getting close to the 300 mags.?

Slow(er) and heavy bullets are making more sense everyday. After several years of playing with 400-500 gr. bullets in Sharps Buffalo type rifles....I shouldn't be surprised.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mk4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just curious....

How does the recoil with the 208 AMAX compare...say...to the 175/178gr variety of bullets? Significant? Getting close to the 300 mags.?

</div></div>

More like a 30-06. its noticeable but not bad.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mk4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just curious....

Slow(er) and heavy bullets are making more sense everyday. After several years of playing with 400-500 gr. bullets in Sharps Buffalo type rifles....I shouldn't be surprised.
grin.gif
</div></div>

This past deer season I helped sight in a buddies 300mag with factory 180's and I have to say, the 208's from a .308 are nowhere near as bad. It's a bit sharper than the 175's, however if you push the 175's hard, the recoil is close to about the same. More push with the 208's though, that's just the increase in bullet weight proving the laws of physics to your shoulder.

Branden

I would swear I could tell between just a few grains of difference in the 208s and RL17

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The SMK's do seem to be a bit cheaper in the 500 round packs though.</div></div>

powder valley is the way to go for 208s when there in stock 27.89 per 100

Im currently building an m2008 with shilen select match. I used a kiff 308 match reamer. I just finished chambering and threading the barrel. Now its time to cut the throat to the desired depth. The rifle will use an aw mag with oal of 2.98.
I was going to cut the throat at 3 inches to keep the bullet 0.020 off the lands.. My question is, what is the ideal throat for the 208 amax?

Never thought I'd be giving a 208 gr. bullet consideration for the .308. I've got some Berger 185 gr. VLDs and was also considering the 185 BT as well for superior ballistics. But, with the G1 of that big AMAX bullet approaching .640-ish, I can't ignore that...and Bergers aren't cheap either.

The 155 Scenars and the 178 AMAX's are very accurate in my rifle at the shorter ranges (500 yd and under). But...the 155's are too susceptible to the wind and the 178's are okay but hehind the ballistic curve compared to some of the other bullets available now such as the Berger 185 BT, IMNSHO. I was hoping that Hornady was going to make their new 178 BTHP available for reloaders but it doesn't look like that is going to happen anytime soon.

Now, my question is this... Can a 21" barrel with a 1-12" twist stabilize the 208 AMAX at long range (1,000yds+)? That may be asking too much of that short of a barrel and twist rate.

I think you just need to try it and see.

I'm using them in a 20.5" 1/12 308Win. I'm loading them to 2600+ fps, but at 2480 fps they were stable at 1800 yards at elevation 4500 ft.

I bet I'm re-hashing this discussion but is RL17 temp sensitive? I'm guessing that you were getting your best velocities with RL17? Would Varget work?

You guys have single-handedly depleted the supply of 208 AMAX bullets in the places that I purchase from. Powder Valley and Midway are out. Know of any others that have any?

There was nothing single handed about it. These guys had both arms full and pushing a cart.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: robpiat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There was nothing single handed about it. These guys had both arms full and pushing a cart. </div></div>

I'll confess to this.

I will have to say this.I am glade that these guys did the load testing for us.been playing around with the load in my 5R.came up with 47.5gn for the rifel.48gn gave me to flat of a primer for me.and the load of 47.5 gives me a.500 5 shoot group at 100.cannot give the fps due to not haveing a chrony yet.but with a test run at 300 with a 5 shoot group that fell 11 inches from my 100 yard zero.so I moved up 15 clicks and put the load dead on at 300.then shoot a 1.5 inch group with a bad mirage makeing it hard to focus on the target.so yes I am pleased with the 47,5gn load useing the 208gn A-max.

just hope the nexted time out it want be so HOT.then this way I want have to shoot with the mirage in front of my target.I really think the group will close up alot.

For all that have worked up loads for the 208 AMAX, has anyone noticed if RL17 is temp. sensitive?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mk4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For all that have worked up loads for the 208 AMAX, has anyone noticed if RL17 is temp. sensitive? </div></div>

Page 4 of this thread shows that RL17 can have an 80fps difference over 100 degrees.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mk4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For all that have worked up loads for the 208 AMAX, has anyone noticed if RL17 is temp. sensitive? </div></div>

I found it to be so. When the temp climbed, my velocities and pressures followed suit, rather dramatically too.

Branden

No, Varget doesn't get quite the velocity, it's about 100fps or more slower. I top out at 2420-2460 (depending on how the chrono reads that day) with Varget, but get 2500+ quite easily with RL17. With my short 20" barrel, i've gotten over 2600fps, but that was really on the ragged edge of blowing myself up.

Branden

I have a 20" Savage 10FP. Took some loads out last week and had no pressure signs up to 47 Gr and tried to seat them to mag length.

The didn't seat all the way beacuse of the compressed load. Other than a drop tube, are there any other tricks to get the bullet to seat all the way? Its not a big deal, just trying to see if its possible.

Some results from today.

moly'd 208
50.0 gr RL17
Win brass
CCI 200
3.00" OAL
20.5" bbl, 1/12 twist.

Five over the chrono (velocities 30-feet from muzzle):

At 105 yrds very good accuracy, almost put them under .5 moa, but I take credit for the flyer.
IMG_2506.jpg

At 1050 yards, 31.00 moa, holding about 3/4 mil into the wind. fired 8 rounds, made 4 hits, the misses were pretty darn close, but the wind took them. I could have applied about .75 moa more up.

IMG_2508.jpg

Pictures are crappy because my camera has been dropped on it's head a few times too many.

Anyone manage to load these to mag length in a Remington 700?
EDIT: I see some of you are.

Anyone used the RL 17 with the CCI 250s? I have a couple thousand of them, and the 210Ms are hard to get locally.

Well , first try didn't work out so well .

Rem. SPS 20"

4 Rds loaded with 44.5 of 17 , Winchester LR primers ( HHHMMM ) ave across my crony was 2360 fps , SD was 12 . 3 rds under 3/4" .

Primers flat , at the edge and not even close to the magic 2500 fps.

Loaded 4 more with CCI 200's , see if this helps .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KIDGLOCK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well , first try didn't work out so well .

Rem. SPS 20"

4 Rds loaded with 44.5 of 17 , Winchester LR primers ( HHHMMM ) ave across my crony was 2360 fps , SD was 12 . 3 rds under 3/4" .

Loaded 4 more with CCI 200's , see if this helps . </div></div>

Nothing wrong with 2400fps, i'm shooting them at 2420 now through my 20". How was the bolt lift? Was it stiff at all? I shoot 47.0gr from Lapua brass and get 2500fps, but i'm using Varget right now working with temperature stability.

Branden

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dust_Remover</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KIDGLOCK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well , first try didn't work out so well .

Rem. SPS 20"

Nothing wrong with 2400fps, i'm shooting them at 2420 now through my 20". How was the bolt lift? Was it stiff at all? I shoot 47.0gr from Lapua brass and get 2500fps, but i'm using Varget right now working with temperature stability.

Branden </div></div>

Dust,

Bolt lift was normal . Just shot the other 4 with the CCI 200 primers , 44.5 of the 17 is max for this gun . Flat primers , I see no need to push it anymore cause I know another .5 grns will be the straw .

I will Moly the bore and see what that does . If I can get close to 2400 , I'll be happy . We shall see where it goes , I'm thinking 300 Win should do the trick ...
whistle.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KIDGLOCK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dust_Remover</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KIDGLOCK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well , first try didn't work out so well .

Rem. SPS 20"

Branden </div></div>

Dust,

Bolt lift was normal . Just shot the other 4 with the CCI 200 primers , 44.5 of the 17 is max for this gun . Flat primers , I see no need to push it anymore cause I know another .5 grns will be the straw .

I will Moly the bore and see what that does . If I can get close to 2400 , I'll be happy . We shall see where it goes , I'm thinking 300 Win should do the trick ...
whistle.gif
</div></div>

What brass are you using?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KIDGLOCK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dust_Remover</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KIDGLOCK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well , first try didn't work out so well .

Rem. SPS 20"

Branden </div></div>

Dust,

whistle.gif
</div></div>

What brass are you using? </div></div>

New Winchester . I molyed the bore but didn't get out to shoot Sun . Gun is packed as well the possibles I'll need for the range should i get off work in time this week .

Doubled checked seating depth 20 off the lands , shes a single shot .

I couldn't find any 208's so I bought a box of 200 Nosler Accubonds. I'm going to load them to mag length for the AR10. Any one have experience with the 200NAB and the RL-17?

Back-ordered the 208s from a couple of sources as I can't find any, anywhere currently. I have 100 to start development, but probably need a hundred more to last me the next couple months until I possibly get some.

These pills are hard to find!