• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 Win, Load Recommendations

scamp62

Private
Minuteman
May 31, 2010
L.A. California
I’ve been out of the shooting game for about 8 years (holly god my Redding MG 3BR powder Measure is soled chunk of rust) , and have been itching to get back into it so I went a got myself a Model 10 FCP-K in .308 Win. I’m looking for a good starting point for an accurate hand load, I know in the last few years there has been a number of new powders, and bullets hitting the market, and I would like to here what you are using for your hand load. I manly looking for long rang accuracy, I not hunting with this rifle.
P.S. what are your recommendations for a new powder Measure !!!
Thank you for any information !!

Re: .308 Win, Load Recommendations

I know you're new so I'll be gentle. Learn to use the search function and check out a couple pages of posts before asking the very basic questions, you'll find it's likely been covered already (about 100 times).

Check out this thread, all 308 loads, good info.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=323517&page=1

Welcome to the hide.
J

PS....Buy a Chargemaster.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: repiv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on RCBS ChargeMaster 1500
</div></div>

If he doesn't want to spend that much a plain old RCBS uniflow would be my recommendation.

Uniflows work great, chargemasters make it easier for $200 more. That's almost a thousand bullets or lot's of other components. If you charge all your cases at once and then seat bullets in another step I don't think a chargemaster is worth the cash flow. A uniflow is within 1/10 of a grain as is a chargemaster.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shepheard</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If you charge all your cases at once and then seat bullets in another step I don't think a chargemaster is worth the cash flow. </div></div>

The best way to use a ChargeMaster is to charge and seat at the same time in one step. You charge, dump the powder from the pan into the case and then replace the pan back on the ChargeMaster. It will automatically fill the pan with another charge by the time you seat a bullet. You are ready to go again. It is extra money for sure, but for me is it well justified by all the time it saves.

Time saved is the decision maker.

I have to agree with the chargemaster recommendations - love mine! If you can spare the coin on a giraud too you'll never look back!

I'm using a 178gr a-max over 42.3 grains of imr 8208xbr in my savage with good results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longebow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Still loving my Redding 3BR with drop tube and powder bottle adapter/baffle. Check out Sinclair International.
http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/cid=5660/k=/t=S/mfg=/Products/Powder-Measures-Dispensers</div></div>
+1 top that - one thing I have found out however is that if you leave powder in the measure the first throw will be heavy. It must sit in the bottom. SO, of course I throw a couple to get it back to specs.

+2 on the ChargeMaster 1500. I've found 40 grains of 4895 behind a Sierra 168 grain SMK very accurate in my TRG 22. 5 shot groups @ 100 yards usually around 0.5" or less.