• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

308 Win precision velocity help.

ChuckSwagger

Private
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2017
Here in my country, Brazil, our competition are rare and made in a short shooting ranges, most of then are 100m and some 300m.
My 308 rifle even I being newbie is a .5, .4 MOA in every charge I try.
I use 44.2 of Varget with 168 gn SMK bullets, Lapua Brass, BR2 primers and got 2.710 FPS on my 26' 1:9 twist barrel. SD of 10.

For those matches and looking for precision, should I down the velocity on the 2.500-2.600 fps Range?
Somebody told me the rifles in general tends to be more accurate with lower velocities.

If I had a rifle, and a load that was shooting half MOA easily with good velocity and ES/SD, I would call it done.

Now, if you're talking 100/300m Benchrest comps then those groups are going to make you want more.

Reactions: ChuckSwagger