• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338-378 weatherby experience?

81mike

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2009
Lebanon, MO
Afternoon fellas,

Last weekend I fell into a good deal on a 338-378 weatherby accumark...it didn't come with any ammo so I was wondering if any of you gentleman have any experience with this round...what are some good factory loads/bullet wt., how does it compare to the 338 LM, etc.

I realize that every rifle is unique and has its own tast, but I am interested in anyone's experience with that caliber/weapon. Basically, what has worked for you?

Accuracy is always my priority if there are any questions about the application of the rifle.

Guys, thanks for any input...this forum always has some of the best discussions regarding shooting.

Re: 338-378 weatherby experience?

The 338-378 beats out the Lapua in the velocity department. IIRC, it has about 10 grains more case capacity (approximate). I know a couple guys who use them in the Oregon coast range for long range elk <span style="text-decoration: line-through">hunting</span> shooting. I've personally seen several one shot kills ranging from 600-900 yards from those guys. They both load the 250 grain Sierra Gameking and are extremely familiar with their guns / loads. They shoot 30-32" barrels, with brakes... HEAVY guns.

It seems like a nice round, might not be my first choice for a magnum 338 but from my personal experience it's a hammer at long range.

Thanks for the response...I appreciate any information I can get

Strong action, and that accumark barrel is probably a Criterion (Kreiger).

One thing I don't care for is the factory freebore.

Nosler Reloading Guide 6 has recommended loads for the .338-378.

Because the bullet jumps the gap to the lands, you may need to experiment and determine how far to set them out for best accuracy with your rifle.

FWIW,

I had the same gun. Couldn't get much better than 1 MOA out of it. I shot a small bull with it one year with a 250 gr Partition at about 275 yards and it did a number on him. Broke both shoulders and he coughed up about half of his lungs in the few seconds after the shot according to my brother-in-law. I wouldn't know, I spent the next five minutes chiseling away the snow crust that blasted me in the face from my ignorance in shooting prone with that brake in the snow.

It liked the 250 Partitions best loaded hot with Retumbo at about 3120 fps. I tried 200 gr B-tips that were all over the paper. 215 Game Kings were OK. I would have liked to have tried the 250 Accubonds out of it.

I sold it off because of the cost to shoot it.

A friend of mine had one of these and it was flat out poor with Retumbo and the 250 SMK. He has Bob Hart do a lot of work for him, so he sent it off to Bob to be skim-bedded, and I think he had the trigger taken up too. When it came back, it would put put three shots in a hole the size of your thumbnail. I'm not sure how much powder he was running or how far off the lands he was with the load.

If you like it, but it doesn't wow you at first, put a little work to it, it should turn around for you.

Don't have any experience with that caliber myself. Did run into a guy at the range with one. He was running some really hot loads through it, and the blast was horrible without a muzzle break. Shot pretty nice groups with it 0.5 MOA. It has a pretty solid kick to it, certainly not for the average shooter.

Outstanding long range ability but not something that you are going to shoot at the range many times. Gave up mine and the 30-378 that I had because I did not use either of them except for at the range. Muzzle blast was outragous from the both of them and shook everything around. If you don't mind the blast they are an awesome round. I wouldn't make a habit of shooting either of them without the brake. Mine would both routinly shoot less than an inch. I suppose they would do alot better than that but I had a little flinch when pulling the trigger after a couple of rounds. They are both the only rifles that I have ever had where I could line up on the gong at 300 and pull the trigger not needing to do any adjustments to the scope or anything and knock it every time you pulled the trigger. I was about 1 in high at 100. There is very little drop to either of these rounds.

Thanks for the responses fellas...anybody know how long the barrels are good for?

I owned one for a while (Accumark) and it was pleasant to shoot. It really liked Branes 250 gr TXS's. I sold it to finance a .338 Norma Build. I kind of still miss that rifle there was something I liked about it. Fit and Finish was far superior to any factory rem I have ever owned, and the action was SMOOTH. There was a knack to loading it. Brass is VERY expensive. The gun fitted me well, it was the right weight. You could shoot it off a bipod with accubreak on like you were shooting a .308, that break REALLY WORKS, the ports at the bottom were a pain in the ass. Reason for sale, while I loved it I dont feel the whole package was up to the capabilitys of the cartridge for long range hunting goes. I actually felt the rifle would be better suited to .378 Weatherby Mag. Once you go to .338 cal you start thinking High mag scopes, high bc pills etc. and the Rifle did not suit the chambering. Hence gettin ga tactical style .338 Norma Built.

I like mine. I've taken it to Alaska twice. You should see the video of it hitting a blackie at 300yards...lightning bolt. You could see the blue meanie vapor trail in the video too. I load mine, so I can't tell you about factory ammo. I can jam 120g of Retumbo in its belly with a 210TSX right at 3400fps. I don't hunt with that load and it is definetly hot. There were places I was walking in Alaska that at nightfall...I felt undergunned. I don't shoot it as often as the 223AIs.

JimStickBear-r-1-1.jpg

Thanks again for the feedback fellas...I will post something as soon as I get a chance to get to the range