• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 build suggestions

tsonda

Private
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2014
Central Texas
I know this has already been hashed out before I'm sure, tried to search for it couldn't find it.

I'm going to build a 338 of some sort. LM, Norma, or Edge not positive which one yet. (I'm not looking for this to turn into which caliber is better) I'm looking for suggestions on barrel profile (which will translate into weight) and barrel length, twist rate. I'm going to be using this for hunting so I don't want a MTU contour. But mainly I plan on ringing steel with it. I already have in my possession a TBAC 338 Ultra. Most shooting will be suppressed. 338 shooters what do you think? Thanks

My suggestion would be build for one or the other rather than a "hybrid". How far out do you want to shoot steel? I just completed a 338 Lapua AI build recently & it's a blast to ring steel out to 2500 yds but I probably wouldn't hunt with it unless I had a porter lol. For a hunting 338 if I was so inclined (which I'm not) I'd probably buy a Savage & call it good. How far do you want to shoot steel?

1800-2000, I feel obligated to do a 338 since I got a 338 Can, I also like the idea of energy on target. I realize 300 Norma would get me where I want

1800-2000, I feel obligated to do a 338 since I got a 338 Can, I also like the idea of energy on target. I realize 300 Norma would get me where I want

Lash may jump in here but as I recall he has had pretty good results with his 338 Savage out to those types of distances once he "accurized" it. I've handled a few of those and they are certainly packable for hunting purposes. I understand what you mean about energy on target, it's much more satisfying to hit steel "with authority" than the "dink" I get with my 260 for example. Having said the above, if you're hot to just have a custom build, you certainly could achieve a midweight custom at a reasonable cost with a Stiller Tac 338 action, midweight profile barrel (I'd go 28" for a compromise) and a Manners carbon fiber stock. Put a 40 moa rail on it and call it good. On second thought, if you're going to hunt with the can, the 28" might be a tad long, but there ya have that "compromise thing" again. I went with a 32" Krieger on mine and glad I did for the distances I'm shooting. It's always a tougher decision process when you're trying to build something for multiple roles.

I did a 338 norma with a 28" heavy palma 9.35 twist to shoot the 300 gr bullets. Defiance Deviant action with an upgraded .750 diameter bolt. I'm getting 2770-2780 fps with 97.5 RL33, 215m primers, and 300gr scenars with very low SD and very tight groups. The brass is super consistent and will easily last 10 firings if you don't hot rod it.

I thought it would great for both but its really too heavy for hunting and its on the light end for ELR. If I were to do it again I would do a 30" heavy varmint taper for elr only and just use a cheaper light weight factory rifle in either 338 fed or wsm for hunting.

Thanks for input so far. I hadn't really considered what yall both just said. Build my custom for ringing steel and get a lighterweight savage for hunting. After some "accurizing " what kind of accuracy could I realistically expect out of a savage. What would the basic accurizing consist of on a savage. I've never even held one.

What bullet your planning on using? Getting the chamber design so you are able to mag feed and not faced with a big jump is another thing you might consider. Some guys are face with a .050 to .100 jump to mag feed. Going with a thinner barrel they will heat up faster. I use a MTU profile and you are correct, it would take a porter if not two to usee it for hunting. Good luck with your build.

I'm leaning towards doing a 33 Nosler on a rifle currently chambered in 7mm Rem Mag... I was really thinking 338 Win Mag at first, but figured that if I can do 338 Win Mag, I can do 33 Nosler. The Nos is only .050 longer at SAAMI length, so I'm thinking that it oughtta be a'ight.

I have a Savage 110 FCP-HS. It's a DBM repeater in an HS precision stock with a 26" varmint contour fluted barrel. It was hard to get a load to consistently half MOA, but I got it. The rifle is carryable and reliable. It came with the wrong ejector and spring in the bolt from Savage, but once i figured that out she was perfect.

When the barrel gives out, I'll probably go to a Mausingfield as CRF has yet to fail me and almost always push feed fails me. This rifle is the only push feed I trust. So in this case, I'm just being picky.

For a caliber, I'd choose Lapua until somebody starts making better brass than Lapua. I am grateful for the quality of Lapua brass in my 6.5 and ok with the cost of Lapua brass at the rate I shoot 338. For instance, I cannot shoot 100 rounds in a day. At 50 or so, I begin to flinch and pack it up.

Mullerworks barrel aiax chassis badger m2013 trigger tech. Laser

Attachments

• photo72862.jpg
    photo72862.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 17