• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 Edge: Favorite Long Range Bullet ?

mram10

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2010
Idaho
I am building an edge and want to see peoples favorite 1000yd bullet and load so I can decide what to go with. Also, explain why you like it. Thanks.

Re: 338 Edge: Favorite Long Range Bullet ?

300gr SMK is a proven performer on paper and game both. Maybe once Berger gets the bugs worked out, their bullet will be the king, but for now, the SMK works really well.

Watching this thread. My buddy has got me thinkin about building an Edge. Supposedly does what the LM does with better efficiency??

Rookie,
It doesn't cost as much as I thought, but then I don't have top of the line stuff either.
700 action - $300 used 7mm
B&C A2 stock - $220
Brux 30" Fluted 9.8 twist std palma barrel - $360
Talley 20moa base - $50
RWS Brake - $40
Put together by friend (saved a lot here) - $150
Total - $1120 plus devcon to bed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmAM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">300gr SMK is a proven performer on paper and game both. Maybe once Berger gets the bugs worked out, their bullet will be the king, but for now, the SMK works really well. </div></div>
I have looked at his loads and bought some 300 smks. I was told to try the 250 scenars also.

I think if a guy already has a donor action and wants to try and save as much money as he can but still have top shelf long range hunting/shooting performance the 338 Edge is about as good as you are gonna get. I have yet to read or hear of ANYONE who wasn't more than happy with their 338 Edge.

By efficiency, I actually meant power/velocity with less powder and recoil.

mram10, I'm building an .338edge as well and from all the reading I've done 300SMKs are the best. Barnes came out with a tipped triple shock in 265grain that may prove to be pretty good? A friend of mine is "testing" them out

Quad,
Keep me updated. I want to see what happens with the Bergers also.

300 SMK's work great out of my 25" barreled Edge. 94gr H-1000 and a 215m primer. Almost can spin the targets at TVP - 10"x10"x3/8 ar400. My goal for 2011 is geat a 360 spin.