• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 Edge - who's running one?

Re: 338 Edge - who's running one?

My Edge is Tolerable but not necessarily enjoyable with a Vias brake shooting 300's. I'll probably switch to a bigger brake eventually.

KeithR41

Thanks to everyone for posting your inspiration. I'm getting dangerously close to my 338 Edge build being completed.

My Pac-Nor tube will be in this Friday, and the reamer and go-gauge should be here next week.

The current build plan:

Pac-nor 30" 1:9.5 twist barrel
Remington 700 LA
B&C Medalist A5 Stock
Nightforce 40 MOA 1-piece base
SuperSniper 16x
VersaPod 52 all-steel bipod

I'm currently not planning for a brake, I figure the rifle should be pretty heavy though and I'm not terribly recoil sensitive. I reserve the right to change my mind in a hurry though after I shoot it!

my buddy did not want a brake either even though i tried to talk him in to it. he shot it for a couple of weeks and decided he needed the brake after all. it would have been MUCH more simple to just put the brake on it when i had the barrel already set up to crown rather than coming back and setting the barrel up again. he should have just went with the brake to begin with and you should too.

chuck

Having shot one without Brake, I say, with NO Doubt.... <span style="font-weight: bold">GET the Got Damn brake to Begin with ! Don't Be a <span style="font-style: italic">Dumbass</span> ! </span>

Wow a lot of ppl seem to think a brakes a really good idea...

Guess it wouldn't hurt to have one on there as an option, I mean I can always take it off if I want to right?

Any suggestions for this caliber? I'll go ahead and order it so I can thread the barrel and time it for the brake at the same time... just in case.

D

Just curious and I know it varies from place to place, but how many MOA does it take to get to a grand from a 100yd zero? And what would a 10 MPH crosswind bo to it? My magnum is a .300 WM and would oneday like to get a heavy hitter. This has crossed my mind many time but I don't know much about it.

300gr SMK @ a conservative 2800fps @ 1000yards
altitude 5000feet
temp 40
humidity 40
23.75 MOA (250")
4 MOA wind ( 41.7")
1879 fps
2353# energy

Any opinions on the JP Enterprises compensator? It seems to get pretty good reviews for 30 cal magnums but haven't seen anything for a 338 yet.

I was "running" my Edge until today when I broke off the Remmy bolt handle - seems to be a common happening with Remmy's.

Out of a 25" barrel I am getting 3000fps with 250SMK and 96gr H-1000. With 300SMK I am getting 2800fps with 92gr H-1000 with absolutely no pressure signs from either.

Happy with the velocity but sad that the toy is down until the Bolt handle is welded back on. So much for TVP this Sunday with it.

Remington 700 338 Edge
Fluted, nitrided Douglas barrel
Brake by RWS on the Hide
Leupold 6.5x20 Illum TMR
McMillan stock(told it is a MCM but do not know what version)

IMG_6404.jpg

IMG_6406.jpg

IMG_6405.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dareposte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any opinions on the JP Enterprises compensator? It seems to get pretty good reviews for 30 cal magnums but haven't seen anything for a 338 yet. </div></div>

Don't know about that, but I love this on my 338 Lapua !!

http://centershotrifles.com/sales/

He does great work... been around them on the 7mm Dakota pistols as well.

338_LM.jpg

Thats a great looking rifle sendero man. Hopefully I can get my 338 project rolling soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was "running" my Edge until today when I broke off the Remmy bolt handle - seems to be a common happening with Remmy's.

Out of a 25" barrel I am getting 3000fps with 250SMK and 96gr H-1000. With 300SMK I am getting 2800fps with 92gr H-1000 with absolutely no pressure signs from either.

Happy with the velocity but sad that the toy is down until the Bolt handle is welded back on. So much for TVP this Sunday with it. </div></div>

Wow that velocity is smoking! TIG welding is definitely the way to go with a Remington factory bolt, sorry to hear it broke off on you. I'm still looking hard at the JP enterprises brakes, guess I'll have to choose pretty soon so I can get the threads on the rifle. It seems like 5/8-28 or 5/8-24 is the thread most 338's are using, with a few in the 3/4 or 11/16 thread.

Sendero Man, that is one sharp looking rifle. Clean and classy. It looks like you have the 3 port muscle break. What would you compare the recoil to. IE 308 270 ect. Thanks and it looks great.

SM is dead on with the muscle brake so far i have found it to be the most effective brake available. hopefully it works great on lighter rifles also because i am currently building a 10lb edge and the 3 port muscle brake is what i am running with.

I'm doing one on a Savage, for easier headspacing. My dad and I both have barrels on order from Pacnor. What's better than golfing with dad? Shooting crap a mile away with dad!

shot mine today first time cant wait to shot it at longer range
338group.jpg

I remember that group...lol Nice shooting on your 1st outing now reload those suckers and do it again.....btw what was your other rifles group size at 200.

Mac

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scottishtornado</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I remember that group...lol Nice shooting on your 1st outing now reload those suckers and do it again.....btw what was your other rifles group size at 200.

Mac </div></div>
65group.jpg

Just got back from my friend's lathe with my Pac-Nor tube and a freshly cut chamber and muzzle brake threads. Sweet! Shooting it tomorrow without the brake for testing, hope my shoulder's up to it.

I used a 338 RUM reamer and 300 RUM GO gauge, it was no trouble at all getting the chamber where it needed to be.

The hardest part of it all was cutting the muzzle brake threads to the class 3A standards that are "required" per the drawing I had, but it was a labor of love.

Now it's in the oven curing the teflon coat, should be ready any minute for assembly and glamour shots in the yard.

338edge.jpg

I am also going to build the edge using the AICS my only thought is after modifying the magazine would it be long enough to hold the round with a 300 gr smk or larger bullet

I don.t know anyone that has wore one out .
2000+ rds

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stephen87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am also going to build the edge using the AICS my only thought is after modifying the magazine would it be long enough to hold the round with a 300 gr smk or larger bullet </div></div>

Bad news, the AICS mags wont hold 338 Edge rounds. The ribbing in the side of the sheet metal interferes with the shoulder on the 300 rum case, they just dont fit.

I wanted to put an AICS on mine so I was pretty disappointed to find that out.

The Wyatts mags apparently do work, but I haven't seen one in person.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AdvenJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did I miss what the expected barrel life is in this caliber 338 EDGE? </div></div>

I've heard 1500-2000 rounds for accuracy life. About the same as a 338 Lapua Mag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dareposte</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stephen87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am also going to build the edge using the AICS my only thought is after modifying the magazine would it be long enough to hold the round with a 300 gr smk or larger bullet </div></div>

Bad news, the AICS mags wont hold 338 Edge rounds. The ribbing in the side of the sheet metal interferes with the shoulder on the 300 rum case, they just dont fit.

I wanted to put an AICS on mine so I was pretty disappointed to find that out.

The Wyatts mags apparently do work, but I haven't seen one in person. </div></div>

I already knew that it would not fit do to the ribs, thats why I said after I modify it, what some people are doing to get it to fit the 300 RUM is remove the ribs(read cut out) so as it is flat and then covering the magazine with something to keep dirt out, ie a rubber sleeve or some electrical tape(sorry if any part of this post came out sarcastic I did not mean it to)

Cool I looked at milling out the ribs too, but looking at the mags it looked like it would really reduce their rigidity and strength if I did that, and I'm not into having a questionably unreliable or weak $900 stock system.

In the end I wound up just not buying an AICS stock, and I'll probably go with a McM with a detachable mag box. To tide me over while I wait for the McM to get built I picked up a B&C A5 stock to shoot.

The Seekins DBM will Work fine with an McM stock.Plenty long enough for an EDGE.

On the flip side,Has anybody tried the Roedale Brake on their EDGE ? I just got one for my new build.

I went with a custom brake I made. Haven't shot it yet but I think it will be effective, it's huge at 1.25" outside diameter, and the cross-hole is 1" diameter.

338mb.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jp67</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Check thé new AICS. it will have longer mags. </div></div>

That would be great, I still like the platform. Any idea on when its supposed to come out?

+1 on the Seekins DBM. I run alot of them on the Edges I build and they are plenty long and work perfectly. Internal Wyatt's box mags just as well with a bdl setup if you are looking to go that route also. Either way doesn't affect the performance of the Edge. My builds run 2870-2920 with 30" barrels. I seat bullets slightly deeper on the BDL builds, but it doesn't effect accuracy at all and really doesn't change velocity much at all.

Finally, my 338 Edge is ready for some action! I wouldn't say its done quite yet, as I want to send out the barreled action for cerakoting so it all matches, and add a McM A5 stock when the wait time expires, but its in the basic form that it will be shooting in for a while.

It weighs in at 16.0 lbs empty with a bi-pod.

Final Specifications:
Action: Trued R700 Long Action
Barrel: 29.25" Pac-Nor Varmint Contour, 1:9.5 twist
Stock: B&C A5
Brake: 1.25" Diameter with 3 ports (Monster Brake) on 5/8-24 threads
Base: 40 MOA NightForce steel base (sawed off to action length)
Rings: IOR 4-bolt Low rings
Scope: 16x44mm SWFA SuperSniper
Other: Tac Bolt Knob, Trigger adjusted to 4lb break

I boresighted it tonight, and it gives me 94 MOA of up elevation, which should get me out to just over 2100 yds on a good day.

338Edge01.jpg

it is just amazing how some people can make their own stuff!
i wish i went to school for that
smile.gif

nice job man

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dareposte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went with a custom brake I made. Haven't shot it yet but I think it will be effective, it's huge at 1.25" outside diameter, and the cross-hole is 1" diameter.

338mb.jpg
</div></div>

Any DBM options out there for Savage on a 338? I am debating between a Edge or a 7mm build for my next project.

Seekins is the only way to go for a .338 BM. Nobody else will get you the length you need for the 300's.

However, I'm not sure if he makes one for Savage. Give Glen a call. He is Heatseekins on here and he's very helpful.

Yea it seems like everyone has good things to say about the ultra mag cases feeding well out of his system. I looked on his website. Doesn't say anything about DBM systems for a savage. Looks like it may be time for my first Remington build! I will be lost on this one! I will however be looking into one of those new 30 moa bases Seekins is offering for savage now. That will be a nice addition to my Savage 308. Thanks for the info!

Edge is one of the names for the 338-300 ultramag. I started building them in 1998 because it is the best long range rifle for large big game I could build for a guy with a standard magnum donor action and using cheap available remington brass. There is no performance advantage with this carridge over the standard 338 RUM or the 338 Lapua. All three are going to average 2750-2850 fps with best accuracy loads in 30" barrels. Some barrels may go a little faster in either cartridge. I tested both in 2001 extensively on my 1000 yard range. I like the standard 338 RUM best because it feeds better with long bullets seated out to the lands in magazines available for standard magnum actions. Accuracy is better overall with the 338 RUM in a repeating type rifle. Single shots are no difference.

Basically, any one of the three rifles will duplicate any shot the other will make. They are all three extremely accurate with the same performance. Some like the plus of lapua brass. Some prefer the cheap remington brass and ability to convert any standard magnum action to the 338 RUM or 338-300 ultramag.

At my shop when shooters had the ability to shoot all at my range the 338-300 died out because it was duplicated with the standard 338 RUM that fed much better through the standard magnum action. If they wanted a fast 338 custom they went with the 338 lapua imp or something off the 378 wby or 416 rigby case.

Barrel life is excellent with either of the three. I have 1500 rounds down all of them and own several of each. Take care of it and it will last you many years.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Long Time Long Ran</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Edge is one of the names for the 338-300 ultramag. I started building them in 1998 because it is the best long range rifle for large big game I could build for a guy with a standard magnum donor action and using cheap available remington brass. There is no performance advantage with this carridge over the standard 338 RUM or the 338 Lapua. All three are going to average 2750-2850 fps with best accuracy loads in 30" barrels. Some barrels may go a little faster in either cartridge. I tested both in 2001 extensively on my 1000 yard range. I like the standard 338 RUM best because it feeds better with long bullets seated out to the lands in magazines available for standard magnum actions. Accuracy is better overall with the 338 RUM in a repeating type rifle. Single shots are no difference.

Basically, any one of the three rifles will duplicate any shot the other will make. They are all three extremely accurate with the same performance. Some like the plus of lapua brass. Some prefer the cheap remington brass and ability to convert any standard magnum action to the 338 RUM or 338-300 ultramag.

At my shop when shooters had the ability to shoot all at my range the 338-300 died out because it was duplicated with the standard 338 RUM that fed much better through the standard magnum action. If they wanted a fast 338 custom they went with the 338 lapua imp or something off the 378 wby or 416 rigby case.

Barrel life is excellent with either of the three. I have 1500 rounds down all of them and own several of each. Take care of it and it will last you many years. </div></div>

Really ? So the 4-5 Extra grains of powder and 100+ FPS the EDGE gives over the RUM is pointless ? Damn !

I thought that 37.5 MOA VS 40.5 @ 1500 Yards meant something. (47.1 Inches Less Drop with 100 FPS faster 300 SMK) Thank you for your Insight !

What 100 fps? I tested them extensively side by side in 2001 when the 338 RUM came out. I had built about a hundred 338-300 ultramags by that time and wanted to see the difference. I found exactly what remington said at the shot show when they introduced the 338 RUM and why they shortenned it .09". They said in their extensive testing there was virtually no difference in performance between the two but the version they went with allowed for seating the bullets out properly and giving better accuracy in comparison to necking the 300 ultramag.

Sierra found the same thing. In the new Sierra loading manual they list three loads in the 338 RUM giving 2750 fps with the 300 smk in a standard 26" barrel. That extrapolated out gives about 2850 fps in a custom 28" barrel. Exactly what I found in my testing in 2001. Same average velocity my 338-300 ultramags had been getting since 1998. What 100 fps?

10-4 Thanks for the info.

To bad you had not done the testing before building 100 of them for customers in 3 years. Works out to about .64 of them a week, 2.5 a month. Lotta folks Pissed off with their poor feeding less accurate rifles ?