• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 Edge - who's running one?

Re: 338 Edge - who's running one?

Ace, Easy to see you failed math. 100 rifles in three years doesn't quite fit your math. After the extensive testing when the 338 RUM came out in 2001 I quit building the 338-300 ultramag after developing it 1998. Because at that point there was no need for the cartridge. The 338 RUM was the same in performance and a better fit. In a custom rifle a knowledgable guy wants more velocity than the ultramags can offer. The 338-300 just got left out of the mix. At my shop guys could come in and shoot all the big 338's on hand anytime at my 1000 yard range. When they could compare all of them the 338-300 died at my shop.

I came on here to share info and not meet jerks like you. Read the forum rules, I did.

Your spouting BS that is Contrary to what 95% of the people here KNOW... don't expect to not get called out on it.

52 weeks X 3 = 156 Weeks

100 Rifles Divided by 156 weeks = 0.6410256

Easy to see I Failed math ? Possible, my Math is correct, as is my knowledge that the .338 EDGE on Average is 100 FPS Faster than the .338 RUM. I stated above what that 100 FPS is worth in Long Range shooting. I load for both EDGE and RUM. Maybe your 2001 Data needs to be Upgraded before you come into a thread about the .338 EDGE and claim the RUM is Equal to it in Velocity, and Betters it in Accuracy.

Just for Shits and Giggles. What 300 grain Bullets were you shooting from 98 - 01 ? What Powder ?

I do Not think your here trying to deceive anyone, I just think your info is Badly Flawed based on real world Knowledge with todays Barrels, Bullets and Powders.

Ace, I stand corrected on the math and my appologies. I am just asking what am I missing here. Where is the 100 fps. Both get best accuracy between 2750 and 2850 fps. That is the same it looks like to me. Where is my info flawed based on real world knowledge. Are you saying people are getting 2950 fps on average with todays barrels and powders in the 338-300 ultramag? Please answer with maturity and not attacking as you have. I would like to discuss this. That is what I found between these two cartridges and I am just stating the facts of what I learned. I own numerous big 338's and have shot and hunted with many at long range. These two in particular quite a bit.

As I said in single shot rifles accuracy is the same. What we found in repeating rifles was because of the longer 338-300 the tips would get deformed in the magazine with recoil or get pushed back in the case and when chambered gave less accuracy than the shorter 338 RUM that did not have that trouble.

If 100 fps is that critical in long range shooting why would anyone build a custom off the slower ultramag case when they can build a fast 338 off the improved lapua case or 378 wby case. The imp 378 wby, or 416 Rigby case will beat the 338-300 ultramag by 250-300 fps. I have shot several well over 3100 fps in 30 inch barrels compared to 2850 fps on average with the 338-300 ultramag. That would be an amazing difference if 100 fps were that critical. All are extremely accurate in custom rifles if the smith knows what he is doing. I have been building and specializing in big 338's since the 70's. I learned a little bit about them.

I ask people to please discuss this and not bite my head off. If something new is out there I am all for it.

In Practical use, the .338 RUM is the better choice in a 26 - 28" Bbl, when running a 30" the EDGE has the edge. On average, the RUMS I have built and or shot shoot the 300 SMK's @ 2750 FPS with About 88 Grains of H-1000. The EDGES with 30" BBL's, 300 SMK's and 93 - 94 grains of H-1000 get 2850 - 2900 FPS. This is with CURRENT Lots of H-1000, the same powder just a couple years ago did not do as well. Most loads had to be backed off a lil in both calibers with the newer powder.

When your taking about Beyond 1000 Yards (The Forum were in) 100 FPS is a TON.

I repeat my question, what 300 grain Bullets, what Powder and what Twist rate BBL's were you using in your builds from 98-01 that you collected this data from ?

Ace, thanks for discussing this. Your data reflects mine and sierras. 2750 fps in 26" barrels with 338 RUM. In 30" barrels I got around 2850 fps. To answer your questions. Most all my barrel twists were 1-10 after the 300 smk came out because they would shoot all bullets well. With the first ones I tried different throats, barrel twists and lengths when I was developing the cartridge at the end of 98 and early 99. Before Sierra began getting me the 300 smk's in 1999 I did several 1-12 twists for bullets 200-250 grains. These were great rifles and what many consider the best fit with the 338-300 ultramag. If we were going extreme long range beyond 1000 yards the big 338's off the 378 wby and 416 rigby case shooting the 300 smk 250+ fps faster than the 338-300 ultra have been the choice because obviously the faster rifles are the better performing rifles at extreme range.

Powders I used during that time were reloader 25, H-1000, 7828, etc among several others comparing the 338 RUM to the 338-300 ultramag. Barrel lengths were from 26"-30". Both topped out about 2750 fps with the 26" barrel and 2850 fps with the 30" barrel. Now nine years later the Sierra loading manual lists the exact same thing I found. Three loads for the 338 RUM at 2750 fps in a 26" barrel. My current accuracy load in my 338 RUM with a 26" barrel is 2730 fps. So with the 30" barrel around 2850 fps which is what I found in 2001 when testing 30" barrels head to head. My two 338-300's I kept through the years that were done in 98 shoot the 300 smk a little over 2800 fps with best accuracy out of 28" barrels. The data comparison was done in 2001 when the 338 RUM was introduced. I couldn't have compared them before then.

My point is there is usually more difference between individual barrels accuracy loads than I found between the two cartridges. The 338 Lapua I shot quite a bit fit exactly in here with these. I bet if a guy shot 100 rifles in all three the average wouldn't be 50 fps difference between the three.

They are all excellent cartridges and will duplicate any shot the other will do. I disagree 100 fps makes that much difference at 1000 yards to a top shooter. I regularly shoot my big 338's at beyond 1000 yards and can make hits with any of them with velocities from 2730fps to over 3100 fps. I agree the 3100 fps ones are better at it though.

LTLR - This discussion sure sounds like the one we recently had on LongRangeHunting. I, like Ace apparently, still don't get how the RUM is the equal of the Edge. I get the argument that in practical terms the velocity difference doesn't mean a ton, but there is a difference.

We all agree that the Edge holds approximately 5 more grains of powder, yes? If so then how is it not faster? It seems like everyone agrees Edge <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">averages</span></span> 100 FPS faster than RUM, except you. The argument about the shorter cartridge fitting mag length better doesn't make sense with options like the Seekins DBM allowing 3.94" COAL. You're not forced to seat the heavies into the case with that so you don't lose the advantage of the bigger case. I think that's what you're arguing? When you were loading the two rounds against each other and doing all your testing, what COAL were you loading the Edge to?

AJ, There was no argument between us on long range hunting. I was trying to answer the guys questions from experience and facts. You were quoting everything I said and trying to make something of it trying to be confrontational. I quickly realized your lack of experience and your knowledge was from reading the internet and not from your personal testing. So I quit the conversation.

I am not arguing anything on here. Just stating the data I have accumulated with near 40 years of working with big 338's. People can make up there own minds and argue if they want. I know them inside out. I am probably the first person to build the 338-300 ultramag and produce it in quantity. Also at the same time by early 1999 was doing the 7mm-300 ultramag, 300 ultramag and 358-300 ultramag. Probably the first with those also. I just want people to have unbiased factual information from actual testing. I could care less which cartridge outshoots the other. If I had a wish it would be the 338-300 ultramag since I spent a year developing and testing it. But I knew all along remington was coming out with a 338 version I just didn't want to wait on it. Unfortunately all my work was for naught when the 338 RUM was introduced. I had to suck it up and move on. Like a lot of others need to do. The 338-300 is a great cartridge. But it is what it is and no better than the 338 Lapua or 338 RUM.

All apples to apples, head to head, comparing the 338 RUM, 338-300 ultramag and 338 Lapua, I have seen each one faster than the other depending on best accuracy loads in a particular barrel. 90% of all three with 30" barrels are going to get best accuracy somewhere between 2750 and 2850 fps. That is substantiated by independent, unbiased testing for years by many people. All three are excellent cartridges. Not one of them holds a performance advantage over the other. If a guy wants a performance advantage for extreme long range, since this is the beyond 1000 yards forum, The choice would be one of the faster 338's that can be built in the same weight rifle as these three.

In Sierra's new loading manual they got the same thing I did with the 338 RUM. Three loads with the 300 smk at 2750 fps in a factory 26" barrel. Are you guys saying the 338 RUM does not gain fps per inch like all other rounds. I have done quite a bit of testing on that also. 18-25 fps per inch on average with the big 338's. That puts the sierra data at 2850 fps with a 30" barrel which is exactly where the 338-300 ultramag hits. The only 100 fps difference is the mythical internet one that has been pounded in front of everyone on these forums for a few years now. Whoever started it was not unbiased. Maybe who started it was using a 26" factory 338 RUM and a 30" custom 338-300 ultramag. Then you have your 100 fps but not apples to apples.

As far as 3-5 grains powder difference between the two. With the big 338's it is a wash. Many different ones have far greater powder difference than that with only 100-150 fps velocity difference. I can hit over 2700 fps with the 300 smk in my 340 wby and a 28" barrel with far less powder than the 338-300 ultramag. 12-15 grains less and still knocking on the door. I can show several other examples. Fact is most all the big 338's are pretty close and some have vastly different powder capacities.

No argument, just trying to discuss it, like you said a few posts up. I won't quote it, apparently that offends you.
wink.gif

All that response and you never answered, what COAL were you loading the "338-300 ultramag" to during your testing?

It varied with the different throat designs I used while developing the cartridge. I did some with a short throat and some had wby freebore and many in between those extremes to see what worked best. I went through a year and many barrels coming up with what I thought was the best. Also people would look over the data and design there own special throat and we would do that trying to come up with something. Also understand Sierra didn't start sending me the 300 smk's for testing until 1999 well after the first 338-300 ultramags were designed for existing bullets. When I get unpacked from the move I can go back and find all that data which some people may like to see since the cartridge continued to gain popularity the past decade. In the head to head testing with the 338 RUM several throat designs, twists and barrel lengths were used in each gathering all the data along with bullets from 200-300 grains. By that numerous coal's were used in the various barrels. I am an engineer by trade and a tinkerer. So scientifically I try everything and gather data.

Dareposte, I just saw the date was April on this. But I just joined and didn't know that. If you have already got your components your edge is an exceptional rifle and you will enjoy it at long range. If you haven't, I used both Pac-Nor and Hart barrels. Pac-nors were less wait time back then so I used quite a few of those. Overall Hart barrels are the best I have used spanning nearly 40 years and is the one I would get if you haven't already. Your 338-06 is also a good one. I have the improved and the Gibbs which are very near the 338 win mag.

Ace, This is not your thread or forum. If you do not have anything to contribute, go run along and play with your schoolmates.

Long... Kiss My Ass Newbie. You have a big mouth, NO Facts and are Talking Bullshit that Everyone knows is Shit... Hence all the PM's i have received about your comments in this thread. Go Away.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Long Time Long Ran</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dareposte, I just saw the date was April on this. But I just joined and didn't know that. If you have already got your components your edge is an exceptional rifle and you will enjoy it at long range. If you haven't, I used both Pac-Nor and Hart barrels. Pac-nors were less wait time back then so I used quite a few of those. Overall Hart barrels are the best I have used spanning nearly 40 years and is the one I would get if you haven't already. Your 338-06 is also a good one. I have the improved and the Gibbs which are very near the 338 win mag.

Ace, This is not your thread or forum. If you do not have anything to contribute, go run along and play with your schoolmates. </div></div>

If you had been a member of SH for more than a week,you would know that this is an "Ongoing" thread for those of us that build and use rifles chambered in 338 EDGE.

Laying your "Claim to Fame" as being the First to develop this cartridge is a pretty bold statement.At least Shawn Carlock says clearly he was NOT the first to load this.He clearly is the one who popularized it.Another "Butt Hurt" individual in WY thinks it should have been called the "Ultra-Cat".Your friend perhaps ?

I own two 338 EDGE rifles,one is 28",the other bbl is 21.75" for a hunting rifle in AK/Canada and plenty of terminal effect and reach out on the grasslands for big game.The extra 4-5gr of powder puts me over 2600fps w/a 300gr bullet and no pressure issues in the little one.

This is the year 2010,we have many quality barrel choices out there besides just Pac-Nor and Hart.I personally use Benchmark.One stop shopping for me and they will make anything I want.

The subject here is the 338 EDGE,not the 338/06,338WM,338 Snipe Tac,etc.You jumped in this thread that is about those of us that choose to use the EDGE basically spouting off about what a crappy cart it is,and how many crappy rifles you have put in customers hands back in the dark ages.You don't back that with any solid info as to a single load you use,COAL,bullets,and actual data you have collected "Scientifically".

Why Don't YOU put up or shut up.Show your data and proof.If you have built that many rifles,surely somebody here can speak up for you.Proof Please ?

Hi
I hawe newly built 338 edge trued rem action 29 inch lawton
barrel 1-9,3 twist so far best welociti is 2826 ft using 300 gr sierra and
vihtavuori n 570 94 gr oal 3.785" do you guys happen to know if n 170 is a better choice I only hawe acsess to vihtavuori
or norma powders

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tyrarace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi
vihtavuori n 570 94 gr oal 3.785" do you guys happen to know if n 170 is a better choice I only hawe acsess to vihtavuori
or norma powders </div></div>

N 570 is a high energy double based powder so it will not work well in extreme tempretures if you are running anywhere near max N170 is single based and very stable i would use some in your rifle and see what velovity you get with it if you are happy with the results i would use it over 570.

Damn guys, now I want an Edge too, will a sako magnum V action work?? I know it is almost long enough but is it solid enough??

Darepost started this thread and I answered his questions. Hart/Pacnor barrels. Anyone with experience/knowledge of chambering.
I didn't realize that it was several months old and now attended by a bunch of idiot kids. I assure you it is yours and I will not be back. No way I will be part of a forum giving my level of knowledge and expertise to a bunch of unappreciative kids.

Ace,
I find your responses to LongTimeLongranger very rude and disrespectful.
It seems he is only trying to offer imformation to others.
From what I have read of his posts, he always seems to try and be helpful, where you have represented yourself poorly on this thread.

Thanks for your opinion, Jazz, much appreciated. I will keep that in mind next time a newbie makes Outlandish Egotistical Claims he obviously can't not back up. ~Ace~

Your more than welcome.
I found nothing in his posts that seemed outlandish or egotistacle, that is why I felt your responses were not appropriate. You can argue your points of contention without taking it to a personal level.

Yes, I agree 100%, and by personal level I am sure you mean telling someone their Math is bad... because the numbers are ridiculous even to the person that posted them ? Anyway dude... Nice addition to the thread.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Long Time Long Ran</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tested them extensively side by side in 2001 when the 338 RUM came out.</div></div>

LTLR,

I think you're off on your years.

I bought a new S/S Sendero in 338 Ultra when they first came out in 1999, and had in punched out to 338/300 right away by my smith.

I will reply to the OP's original question concerning peoples experience with the 338 EDGE.
I had one about 2 years ago, 30" Sendero contour, Rock barrel, HS stock. Shooting the 300gr SMK @ 2830fps w/ 92gr H1000
It was a great rifle, and like an idiot I sold it. It was a very accurate and easy to load for caliber. The guy I sold it to shot an elk at 900+ yards, and a mule deer at 1300 yards last year.
My opinion on the 338 EDGE is it a great caliber.
I would not hesitate to build another one.

I have NEVER personally known or heard of a single person that wasn't, at the least, happy with their 338 EDGE. I can't recall any others of the top of my head that I can say the same about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild_Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tyrarace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi
or norma powders </div></div>

N 570 is a high energy double based powder so it will not work well in extreme tempretures if you are running anywhere near max N170 is single based and very stable i would use some in your rifle and see what velovity you get with it if you are happy with the results i would use it over 570.

You are right Wild Bill n 170 seems to work better
best group of the day was 0,524 inch at 200 meters
300 gr sierra 88 grains n 170 oal 3.785
cheers</div></div>

ill back up some of what LTLR has said RE: the EDGE,

1. I could not find accuracy above 89gr H1000 (new H1000). I tried everywhere in between 89-94gr, got as high as 2960fps from a 30" bbl. This wrecked my brass and the groups were horrible... backed it down to about 88-89grains for half decent accuracy and was around 2800fps. LTLR makes it clear that the ACCURACY LOADS between the 338RUM and 338edge are similar, he is not talking about outright velocity where you might get the 100fps increase in the EDGE. its not worth splitting hairs over as they are only worth shooting where they are accurate afterall.

Ace, how many reloads do you think your brass is gonna last with your 94gr loads- seeing as YOU already know everything?? I can tell YOU, my brass lasted 2 firings at this level before the primer pockets were too loose to load again.

2. LTLRs comments about the magazines are echoed here also, i had all sorts of trouble getting mine to feed well. I had a long throat in mine, OAL was 3.900" @ lands with 300SMK.

Great rifle the edge, but id only ever build another one if i had a standard magnum action laying around that needed a rebarrel or something... if i was to build a custom rifle from scratch, and it had to be a .338cal, i would build a lapua or lapua imp over an edge for the better brass and slightly better ballistics.

I run 93 Grains of H1000, 2888 FPS, I get 3-5 loadings with shit Rem Brass...

Feeding Issues ? REALLY ? It's the Same Damn round, .090 Longer case. I only have experience with Savages, but it's not hard to make them feed well.

I know Everything ? Why thank you, I will Assume that was a observation because I never made that claim.

Just because <span style="font-weight: bold">YOU</span> had a rifle that didn't like hot loads, OR you had other issues in your loading does Not mean it's the standard for the caliber lol. I have had Shitty .308 barrels, and others... Come On.
<span style="font-weight: bold">
The Only thing I have Claimed in this thread is that the Average EDGE is 100+ FPS Faster than the Average RUM, Accuracy is the same, Feeding should Not be a issue with a competent </span>Smith. (Yes, I can feed Berger Hybrids @ 3.890 OAL)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: groper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ill back up some of what LTLR has said RE: the EDGE,

1. I could not find accuracy above 89gr H1000 (new H1000). I tried everywhere in between 89-94gr, got as high as 2960fps from a 30" bbl. This wrecked my brass and the groups were horrible... backed it down to about 88-89grains for half decent accuracy and was around 2800fps. LTLR makes it clear that the ACCURACY LOADS between the 338RUM and 338edge are similar, he is not talking about outright velocity where you might get the 100fps increase in the EDGE. its not worth splitting hairs over as they are only worth shooting where they are accurate afterall.

Ace, how many reloads do you think your brass is gonna last with your 94gr loads- seeing as YOU already know everything?? I can tell YOU, my brass lasted 2 firings at this level before the primer pockets were too loose to load again.

2. LTLRs comments about the magazines are echoed here also, i had all sorts of trouble getting mine to feed well. I had a long throat in mine, OAL was 3.900" @ lands with 300SMK.

Great rifle the edge, but id only ever build another one if i had a standard magnum action laying around that needed a rebarrel or something... if i was to build a custom rifle from scratch, and it had to be a .338cal, i would build a lapua or lapua imp over an edge for the better brass and slightly better ballistics.

</div></div>

What kind of Barrel are you running ? It does make a big difference.The feedback I've gotten from my Barrel Maker points to the 3 Groove BBL's performing the best in the 338's he is making.

Letting Magazine length dictate your seating depth may also affect the accuracy as it may not be ideal for your barrel and chamber.This is the main reason I opted to go with the Seekins DBM and not be limited in length on a repeater.The Wyatts EBM gave me less than Ideal seating depth.

Finally got mine :

338-1.jpg

Surgeon RLR - Rock 30" MTU 1:9.4 - Seekins DBM - APA FB brake - McM A5 - Rifle Basix trigger

92 grains of H1000 seems a little slow for me with the 300 SMK, averaging 2750ish. That's with the following:

Rem brass
300 SMK
CCI 250
92 gr H1000
3.90" COAL

I got absolutely <span style="font-weight: bold">ZERO</span> pressure signs at that. Bolt opens as normal, primers completely rounded still, no ejector marks at all. I intend to try bumping that up some... I'd like to end up around 2850ish if possible.

Does anyone have any data for a 30"ish barrel, H1000, and 300 SMKs, specifically looking for how many FPS are gained per grain of powder on average. I'm going to work up slowly (of course), but am curious about what kind of velocity gains I can expect while working up. Thanks for any info!

I started getting Some Pressure Signs @ 94 Grains, And 2925 FPS, Mine shoots best with 93 Grains @ 2888 FPS. 3.850 OAL Same components, 30" Shilen

betcha it shoots better with 89 grains... and youll get more than 3 reloads per case...

we have pushed the 300gr MK a little over 3000fps in a 27" tube when my buddy started with a new lot of faster H1000. talk about poor brass life? this rifle likes it best around 2825 or so. i think most people find the best performance in the 2800-2850fps range.

chuck

7mmAM, that group was shot in 2008, you most likely were using the old batch of H1000, the new stuff is considerably hotter and i doubt you would be running 93grns with the new stuff.

I bought 8lbs of H-1000 about 3 months ago. I think it should be the new lot. Im shooting 93gr and getting 2847fps with no preasure signs. 30in barrel 300SMK 250 Primer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: groper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">betcha it shoots better with 89 grains... and youll get more than 3 reloads per case... </div></div>

Not trying to give you a bad time,but I would check my barrel,chamber,and loads.You have got to be the only one I've heard of running this light a load in a 338 EDGE.

Ok, for all of you who are running 93grns or more of the NEW H1000 powder bought after mid 2009, and not shooting in really cold conditions, how many reloads are you getting from your remington brass before the primer pockets are loose?

many people get flattened primers, ejector marks with even with 92grns or less... in the end i eventually gave up on H1000 and started using retumbo around 90grns, i had much better results in terms of ES and accuracy after switching.

I know MANY people who have changed their loads since the new H1000 came out, and there is MANY threads you read about on the net regarding this also. simply google "h1000 hotter" will get you many results, and many people running 90grns or lower now in the EDGE... almost everyone finds their best accuracy between 2800-2850fps... its just the way it is with this cartridge...

one more thing, shawn carlock now lists 91grn h1000 as the MAX load on his website now, the 2 accuracy loads with h1000 are now 90 and 91grns, the 90gr load is better with the lowest ES. Mine just happened to like a little less powder, but i was still getting the same velocity, the climate is very hot where i live.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: groper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">one more thing, shawn carlock now lists 91grn h1000 as the MAX load on his website now, the 2 accuracy loads with h1000 are now 90 and 91grns, the 90gr load is better with the lowest ES. Mine just happened to like a little less powder, but i was still getting the same velocity, the climate is very hot where i live. </div></div>

I just checked his site less than a minute ago,I had printed off the Load page a while back,all he did was change the powder amount and none of the other values changed,all are the same down to 1 FPS !!! Guy looks like he is full of shit,if you change the load data,at least put up what it is really doing.Drop your load 2 gr even and everything stays the same with the "New,Hotter Powder" ?

This is nothing against you groper,calling BS on Carlock.

BTW,it still list the Max Loads as 92-94fps,gotta read the fine print,this may change too.Maybe overnight.The Powder Fairy does it while we sleep.
laugh.gif

Groper,

I bought 48lbs of H1000 in 2008 and have gone through most of it since then. My brother and most of my customers are running the new lot of H1000 though. They run the same 93gr load, same velocity and still getting the same amount of reloads. I have built just over 30 Edge's for guys since 2008 and they all run between 2870 and 2920 with 30" barrels using the same load. 28" barrels run 2825 to 2850. These are confirmed drop velocities by the way, just not what the chronograph says. We have run up to 94gr and got 2950 with our personal rifles, but everyone seems to stick with my standard load of 93gr.

FYI...Shawn is a good friend of ours, and he is running 92gr in the standard Edge and I believe 95-96gr in the +P version he is playing with.

I made it down to the range today with my Edge. 93.5 gr of H1000 seems to be the sweet spot for me. With that charge the 300 SMKs are going about 2820 according to the CED chrony at the club. I shot two five shot groups at 200 yards with each: 93, 93.5, and 94. 93 and 94 both went about 1.5" at 200 on both. 93.5 went into just about an inch on both groups. That's with:

Rem brass
CCI 250
H1000
300 SMK
3.90" COAL
<span style="font-weight: bold">30" Rock 1:9.4" twist</span>

There was about a 2-8 mile per hour wind coming across the range at 3 o'clock which was somewhat gusty. 70% of the spread on the two groups was horizontal so I'm thinking they would have been even tighter on a calmer day. I'm done looking for a load for now.
grin.gif

Interesting to note that at 94 grains I still didn't really have any pressure signs. No hard bolt lift, the primers were still rounded and no ejector marks at all. I could probably push em harder but I like the accuracy potential at 93.5!

It is feeding and ejecting perfectly at this point. ... Heading up to the hills tomorrow to stretch it's legs a little.

EDIT: This is with H1000 that I purchased just a few months ago...

Ace,
Why so defensive about a guy sharing his knowledge and experience. It might be different than what most of us know but he still has a ton to add to this forum. You definitely could have been more respectful to him. He did mention that those number were based off HIS rifles sweet spots. Maybe his RUM liked more powder and his EDGE liked less.

Ace,
I read his posts (for the last hour) and though some of what he said is contrary to what I have learned (no fps difference?) from others who own them, I thought he could have been handled more respectfully. 200 rifles in 3 years for one gentleman seems like a lot, but maybe he has help. I agree with your data which is why I am building an EDGE right now. Again, I just thought he could have been treated a little more respectfully.

Maybe your right... I am a Asshole, but he was a Arrogant condescending Prick that made Wild Claims and produced No evidence to back it up. He was called out on it here and in PM, he decided it was easier to move along than to answer... Fuck'em. Like Many newbies, the underestimate the Knowledge on this site and think they can get away with talking out of their Ass.

Had he produced any evidence to back Any of his claims, or even solid Data, I would have given him Respect. he turned out to be just another Cartoon Character on the Internet.

ACE,
I don't think that Longtimelongranger felt he could not answer your questions, he probably felt that responding to you was a waste of his time and just moved on. I am sure he is not losing any sleep over his dealings with you. I find it comical that you seem to get so upset about something so trivial as some posts he may or may not have posted misinformation on.
With your post count of 324 does that make you a resident old timer on this site, since you referred to him as a "newbie" ?

I am not upset about Anything lol, you must have me confused. the dude was full of shit... simple as that. I forgot about the thread till someone replied. His FIRST Post was in this thread... i think that Qualifies as a newbie. Enough folks know me on this site that I don't have to defend what I said... This is boring, E-Mail the dude and get you some learnin if that's what you want. No Need crying here.