• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 Federal or 338 RCM or 338 WSM

brand692

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2009
Western NE
Anyone running a 338 Federal (.338-308) in a custom bolt gun?

I'd like to build a short action handy bolt gun and slap it in a MAK kit. Ideally in the 16-18 inch range, definitely no longer than 20 inches. The other option would be a 338WSM or the 338 Ruger Compact Magnum.

I'm through with the long barrels. Nothing over 20 inches from here on out for me.

ETA: That FDE tube gun over on Jense Precision's website is what has me thinking bout it.

Re: 338 Federal or 338 RCM or 338 WSM

This one here. Just seems like a super convenient big bore rifle.

tbkp2.jpg

I have a 338 federal in a ruger frontier 16" barrel and my load is a 200 speer hot core at 2500 fps and that is pushing it very hard. It has to be pushed reel hard to get any accuracy out of it, but it is good out to 650 yds. It is light and very easy to carry, the recoil is very soft but it still hits like a 338.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brand692</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
tbkp2.jpg
</div></div>
I'd eat a lot of noodles and rice to save up for that bad boy!

If you are even thinking about a .338 federal then you should REALLY think about a .338-06. I'm having one being built now on a Winchester CRF action for a hunting rig. Gets pretty close to .338 win mag performance, and will "bang, flop" anything in North America.

We're building a "fun" project .338 Federal in a short barrel config. The primary purpose is subsonic suppressed shooting. You can run 300gr bullets at subsonic, or use a full power load, seems pretty versatile, and you just neck up 308 brass. I'll post some pics when it's done, for those going to SHOT it may be there.
Justin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brand692</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This one here. Just seems like a super convenient big bore rifle.

tbkp2.jpg
</div></div>

Forgive me but what is that rifle?

Thanks for the input gentlemen.

I will rule out the WSM. Not looking for a bucking mule

18E, I'm looking to stay in a short action platform, which rules out the 338-06.

Training wheels, that is a Jense Precision rifle in a MAK tube gun kit.

I had considered the 338 Spectre, but the 338 Federal and RCM seem to be more viable options. Especially with the brass availability of the Federal.

What twist rate for the Federal and RCM? 10? Or can I get away with another 9.3 should the opportunity to shoot 300gr's arise?

If you want short action than I would go with a .338 WSM and neck up .325 brass, There's a guy up in alaska running one of these on a pistol platform.

Anyone running a 338 Federal (.338-308) in a custom bolt gun?

I'd like to build a short action handy bolt gun and slap it in a MAK kit. Ideally in the 16-18 inch range, definitely no longer than 20 inches. The other option would be a 338WSM or the 338 Ruger Compact Magnum.

I'm through with the long barrels. Nothing over 20 inches from here on out for me.

ETA: That FDE tube gun over on Jense Precision's website is what has me thinking bout it.

old thread but curious as to what your decision was

Thinking of building a short barreled rifle (16.5) and going the 338 fed route

I built a 8.6 creed and with 300 SMK i was able to hit 1900 pushing it but with trail boss could only get 830 so im gunna try some universal first then depending on results maybe rechamber and go 338 WSM it looks like 80% case fill with trailboss and 300s should be close to a good sub load and my super loads should be more in the 2300 range

Reactions: Evlshnngns