• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

craines51

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2005
Gainesville, Georgia
anybody hunting with this caliber? picked up a rifle today in the 338 Federal so I am curious as to what folks think about it. From the little research I have done seems like a nice caliber for deer.

Re: 338 Federal

I just ordered a tikka T3 lite in this caliber for a light weight hunting rig i should have it in a week or two i think i am going to try to run 180's in it. I will be useing it for deer, elk and maybe a bear or two. I also would like two know what others use for hunting loads for this cartridge.

Great minds must think alike..I ordered one yesterday myself.Sent my action out to the smith and should have it back 4-6 weeks..Tossing back and forth over 180 or 200's??

I am thinking 180's to start with but i will have to see what it likes better i would prefer to go with 200's but i think they will be a little slower than i want to go.

I have a Ruger Frontier (16" barrel) in this caliber and it serves as a great 300 yard gun and in. Perfect little blind gun with some good thump. We shoot 225 Hornadys and it delivers the beat-down on deer. If I need to shoot further, I just go with my 300wsm or 270wsm.

I'll have to double-check tonight... they're not real quick. I want to say 2300, but can't quite remember (chronied about 2 years ago). With a Lupy LR Reticle it lines up about perfect on the 2nd (200 yards) and 3rd (300 yards) dot, which is about all I need to do with that gun and round.

I just finished loading some 160 grain Barnes Tipped TSX for the 338 Federal. They were shooting very tight groups and were running right at 3095 fps. I'm using Winchester 308 Win brass necked up to 338. This bullet would be a great hunting round for the 338 Federal.

I think i will have to try that 160 ttsx bullet i have used Barnes bullets before and i like the way they perform on game. That 160 should do good on deer and depending on how it performs i may try it on elk and bears. Thanks for the information this should help me figure out what i want to use in my new toy.

The factory loads for that cartridge use a blend of powders to obtain the velocities that they get. Difficult to duplicate on your own.

However, just met with our Hodgon rep and he gaves us some info on some new powders they're releasing, "Superformance" and "Leverevolution." These will both be blended powders straight from the factory.

Specifically they list the 338 federal for the Leverevolution powder giving 2500fps for the 225gr bullets.

They expect the powder to be out sometime around shot show.

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up.

Charlie

When those powders come out if will really make the 338 federal an even better cartridge i can't wait to get mine and start loading for it, and hunting with it.

Here's mine: Kimber 84M w/ Leupold
2nvtpur.jpg

The Hodgdon website has load data listed on there website for the .338 Federal using SUPERFORMANCE powder..

Well looks like I'm going with 185gr. Barnes triple shocks on top of AA2230 powder..Ready to start trying loads as soon as my rifle is ready..

I've been thinking of a 338 Fed or a 338-06. Still pondering.
Going to be a woods gun for deer/bear.

Barnes bullets make any cal better.

I have a mauser in 338 Fed that I built last year. 200gr Speer Hot-Cor's over Ramshot TAC at just over 2600fps do a number on hogs. Shot two earlier this year.