• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 338 La "BoOm BoOm" (WHOLLY CHIT!)

LRI

Lance Criminal
Minuteman
  • Mar 14, 2010
    Sturgis, S. Dakota
    www.longriflesinc.com
    Almost a year ago I built this for a guy. He called a few weeks later to inform me of an "axi-dent".

The story goes he was shooting and all was well. Races home to gas up some more bulletz as there's a storm front moving in and he wants to take advantage of the good weather.

In his haste VARGET is mistakenly loaded.

Pictures tell the rest far better than I ever could...

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

If you guys ever had any doubts as to the energy potential of these cartridges, let this settle the debate.

PLEASE be very, very careful when loading ammo. No one was hurt. Very lucky.

On an uplifting note I guess this is a bit of a Testament to the bedding work I do. It survived surprisingly well. The tang of the stock grenaded a bit, but that's the top layer of carbon delaminating from the core substrate. It's not my bedding. There's stress cracks all through the stock. It's a canoe paddle now I'm afraid.

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

In no way should this be considered a jab on any of the component manufacturers. This gun went waaaay off the reservation with that kind of a load. A 300 grain Sierra with that kind of boom boom is so fringe its a wonder the owner still has his face attached. Lucky guy!

Enjoy your Friday gents.

C.

338 La "BoOm BoOm" (WHOLLY CHIT!)

Wow. What kind of action was that Chad? Only curious to the action to getva better idea of how much this f up is going to cost is poor bastard. Is there anything salvageable from all the pieces?

WHOLLY CHIT INDEED!!!

Damn...that poor bastard is lucky to still be up and walking around with that kind of a massive reloading @#$%-up. I'm frankly surprised that everything held up as well as it did. Good luck and God speed to the unfortunate soul...hope he learned a VERY valuable lesson (or two...or TEN) from this whole debacle.

I'll take that stock of his hands. Looks like a lefty and it's something I can drop a .22 into.

Damn its a Lefty, that sucks big time. Chad use some of your super bedding stuff and glue it back together, looks like it would fix er good.

OK, so we know now how big the load was in his rifle, now the question is how large a "Load" did he leave in his drawers?

Looks like he tried to "fire form" a 338 LM into a 50BMG.:)

Wow Chad, I can't imagine getting that call. So glad everybody is okay.

If this is inappropriate let me know or just have Lowlight delete it.

Some observations:
    The action cracked right on the lug pins. Thinnest spot so that is predictable. Would a single pin at 6 be a better spot to crack?
    The action is less elastic than the barrel. It cracked but the barrel looks like it just flexed.
    Interesting the starboard crack didn't migrate into the closer feed well or ejection port rather than continuing on out the length of the action.
    I know this was an overload but it makes me wonder what the hardness tests on this action compared to a factory 700? Reminds me that similar looking cracks happened to a few HS Precision actions a while back and it had something to do with the hardness and ambient temperatures.
    The Cerakote held up great. No chipping or flaking anywhere!
    The composite stock has wood grain?

Curious about:
    The actual load. Anyone put it to QuickLoad to get an idea of pressures?
    Did you get the case that was in it? I don't see where any gas leaked.
    Bolt nose clearances? Can't be too tight with an M16 style extractor. The primer or case should breach and the gas vent off before steel breaks. I don't think the brass got the memo. If it didn't vent I'm betting on Lapua brass. If it is a Remington extractor then a close fit on the bolt nose helps contain the brass.
    Are the lugs on the bolt or abutments deformed?
    Your thoughts analytically? Yeah, I know. It just blew up! Shit happens.

Thanks for sharing.

Would you post some pictures of the bolt head and barrel tenon? It's an interesting failure in that it appears that it's only the action that cracked, which makes you wonder if it couldn't be designed to be stronger (or at least safer) by a more deliberate selection heat treatment.

Edit: I'm not criticizing the action maker - this is obviously well beyond it's intended use, but when things fail, there is always an opportunity to learn and make them better. Those opportunities shouldn't be wasted.

Last edited:
    Wow Chad, I can't imagine getting that call. So glad everybody is okay.

If this is inappropriate let me know or just have Lowlight delete it.

Some observations:
    The action cracked right on the lug pins. Thinnest spot so that is predictable. Would a single pin at 6 be a better spot to crack?
    The action is less elastic than the barrel. It cracked but the barrel looks like it just flexed.
    Interesting the starboard crack didn't migrate into the closer feed well or ejection port rather than continuing on out the length of the action.
    I know this was an overload but it makes me wonder what the hardness tests on this action compared to a factory 700? Reminds me that similar looking cracks happened to a few HS Precision actions a while back and it had something to do with the hardness and ambient temperatures.
    The Cerakote held up great. No chipping or flaking anywhere!
    The composite stock has wood grain?

Curious about:
    The actual load. Anyone put it to QuickLoad to get an idea of pressures?
    Did you get the case that was in it? I don't see where any gas leaked.
    Bolt nose clearances? Can't be too tight with an M16 style extractor. The primer or case should breach and the gas vent off before steel breaks. I don't think the brass got the memo. If it didn't vent I'm betting on Lapua brass. If it is a Remington extractor then a close fit on the bolt nose helps contain the brass.
    Are the lugs on the bolt or abutments deformed?
    Your thoughts analytically? Yeah, I know. It just blew up! Shit happens.

Thanks for sharing.

Would you post some pictures of the bolt head and barrel tenon? It's an interesting failure in that it appears that it's only the action that cracked, which makes you wonder if it couldn't be designed to be stronger (or at least safer) by a more deliberate selection heat treatment.

Edit: I'm not criticizing the action maker - this is obviously well beyond it's intended use, but when things fail, there is always an opportunity to learn and make them better. Those opportunities shouldn't be wasted.

Case is still in the chamber! Primer didn't even pierce although the cartridge is heavily scorched around the primer pocket. Ejector mark is something to behold! Bolt lugs are deformed. Bolt won't come out of the action. It slips past the front ring but locks up inside the rear bridge. A mallet would get it out, but I've not messed with it.

QL puts the pressure at: 166,978. Roughly 2.3X the max. (72ksi if I remember right)

It does (did) have an M16 extractor. It was missing when we took it in. My guess is it either broke and fell out or got nuked during the fire storm.

No wood grain in the stock. It's a Manners T5A. Just how the paint/photo looks I guess.

Keep in mind this gun didn't just get shot once this way. If I understood the guy right he fired it more than a few times like this. Just a bad, bad, bad day all the way around.

My understanding is the action is to go back to the manufacturer once were done with everything. I've got no involvement in that end of the deal. A different pin design may have helped. A larger receiver may have helped. A different material may have helped.

Or it could have made it a bigger bomb. There's something to be said for controlled chaos...

The lesson here is make sure you KNOW what your doing ahead of time.

C.

Last edited:
    167k PSI and he fired it more than once? Holy shit!

Did he say the rifle felt strange on the firings before it blew up?

For curiosity: What does QL say the velocity would have been for the 300 grainer at that pressure?

Keep in mind this gun didn't just get shot once this way. If I understood the guy right he fired it more than a few times like this.

That thing must have been rockin'. Everyone was looking at him and the smoking bomb crater where the backstop was, when he pushed up his glasses and in his best Leonard Hofstadter voice was sayin, Yeah that's right. I got the bad ass rifle today! Wanna see it again?

I would have probably pooped my pants faster than that bullet left the barrel...

Is user novice shooter? I mean anyone who has done at least some shooting knows the feeling of recoil and "correct" kick for the load and if something underkicks or overkicks alarm bells (should) start to ring. We're not talking about "i left cartridge in a chamber 20 seconds too long and it heated up and dang it had a flyer 2cm higher" but about 2.3 times the norm. Can't even begin to imagine the difference in feeling. I know when shit starts rolling it keeps getting bigger but still this had to be a serious DUH moment for user. Luckily material seems to be high quality to have withstood abuse without serious damage to the user. Also i see no vent port on the action which i think is a good idea to have to channel "negative energy :)" away from users face.

Load was 92 gr. of varget. Rifle was fired once. Magazine flew out, round didn't go where it was supposed to, chrono didn't read the velocity, and bolt wouldn't open. It hit immediately what had happened. Yup. I'm that guy. In thousands of rounds loaded, I've never had so much as a hiccup. Got excited one day, and careless. Had 2 powders on the bench, which I NEVER do, and poured the wrong one in the charge master. BE CAREFUL GUYS! This has been a very expensive mistake, but could have been far worse. The worst damage to me was mental. It was certainly a mistake you make only once. At 10 rounds down the tube, before any real load development, rifle was one holing in load work up. Was going to go up a bit, a couple tenths of a grain at a time. At 11 rounds, I had a paper weight.

powder

Load was 92 gr. of varget. Rifle was fired once. Magazine flew out, round didn't go where it was supposed to, chrono didn't read the velocity, and bolt wouldn't open. It hit immediately what had happened. Yup. I'm that guy. In thousands of rounds loaded, I've never had so much as a hiccup. Got excited one day, and careless. Had 2 powders on the bench, which I NEVER do, and poured the wrong one in the charge master. BE CAREFUL GUYS! This has been a very expensive mistake, but could have been far worse. The worst damage to me was mental. It was certainly a mistake you make only once. At 10 rounds down the tube, before any real load development, rifle was one holing in load work up. Was going to go up a bit, a couple tenths of a grain at a time. At 11 rounds, I had a paper weight.

Man I'm guilty of leaving powder in my harrels and the 650's dispenser every once in a while. Sometimes I buy a new pound of x powder and it makes its way to the bench before storage but I always put a sticky note on each dispenser labeling each powder as I use it BEFORE I start charging. The stick stays as long as the powder stays. I would suggest you grad a book of sticky notes. Sorry about your paper weight bro. Glad it wasn't worse.

Glad you're safe. Did you happen to notice how the gun handled the propellant gasses? Were they contained, or did they blow out of the action?

I guess i understood you fired the same load repeatedly until action gave way... Still better paperweight and $$$ damage then missing half a face or worse...

I looked at a Sako L-61 .30-06 that had been loaded with a compressed charge of "450 "powder .

The top of the receiver ring was gone and the bolt fortunately jammed when the action bent.
    The barrel was found downrange.

He had gone to another gun store to buy H-450 rifle powder and was sold Winchester 450 LS shot gun powder by a "salesman" behind the counter.
    A finger on his left hand was damaged that's all.

He gave up "handloading " he said and was sold another Sako to hunt with using factory ammo.

Lucky I thought!

Glenn

Glad you're safe. Did you happen to notice how the gun handled the propellant gasses? Were they contained, or did they blow out of the action?

All the gasses were contained. The first indication I had something was wrong, was the round missed it's mark by about 3". The recoil didn't really even seem bad. I guess Chad make a very effective brake. After spotting the round, I noticed the magazine was laying on the ground. I found that odd, and tried to lift the bolt. Stuck. Then I started looking a little closer, and saw the cracks in the receiver.

Amazing it went as well as it did...must have been good components to be overloaded that far and not explode...very lucky!

All the gasses were contained. The first indication I had something was wrong, was the round missed it's mark by about 3". The recoil didn't really even seem bad. I guess Chad make a very effective brake. After spotting the round, I noticed the magazine was laying on the ground. I found that odd, and tried to lift the bolt. Stuck. Then I started looking a little closer, and saw the cracks in the receiver.

I suppose all that extra powder makes for a very effective brake! Yikes. Thanks for the report, and once again, glad all turned out well (except for the rifle obviously).

That action held up pretty well compared to what could have happened. Which action was it and which bolt diameter did it have, the .700 or the .750?

Trigger like the others I'm glad your ok. at least you know what caused the problem. I remember a member on here that kaboom his savage 338 and kept insisting it wasn't his fault, even though he was shooting unknown reloads.

Did it have optics attached at the time of detonation ?

chrono didn't read the velocity,

Hey, I once got 700 fps from a Laser bore sighter that like a dumbass I left in due to a range distraction. I was using it to set the chrono up. I was lucky. I was able to turn my 24" bbl into a 20" bbl, recrown it and continue shooting.

Compared to my "accident", well, there's no comparison. Glad the shooter came out OK.