• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

338 lapua brass issues ( sinclair just deliverd)

Re: 338 lapua brass issues ( sinclair just deliverd)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">btw how often do you anneal...? </div></div>

On the 100 pieces (80 Lapua/20 Norma) I think I annealed after the third cycle and perhaps the sixth. I began my annealing efforts with the 338LM brass, so I'm sure I botched some up with the torch, learning how to do it.

I wrecked one Lapua when I got in stuck in my standard kinetic bullet puller and one Norma neck split after only 2 cycles, so I'm at 98 almost 6 years later!

Chris

Chris, now that is impressive custodial care of one's Lapua brass.

Do you use the Hornady annealing kit. I have it in my shelves, but never opened the box yet.

TrimMateAnnealer1.jpg

I use a torch and just wing it in the kitchen, in the dark. I've gotten much better at it.

As to you wondering whether case head separation happens first, on the outside, here are some 7 Rem Mag cases with about 5 cycles on them.

I would have never loaded them up, had I noticed the cracking on the outside, lol.

002-1.jpg

Chris

I just received the following Lapua brass from Powder Valley.

200 260 Remington
200 6.5-284 Winchester
200 338 Lapua

So far I don't see a single one with a messed-up neck or any dents or anything. They all look perfect.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael Aos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just received the following Lapua brass from Powder Valley.

200 260 Remington
200 6.5-284 Winchester
200 338 Lapua

So far I don't see a single one with a messed-up neck or any dents or anything. They all look perfect. </div></div>

That's a good assortment and a decent amount.

Good to hear!

Enjoy.

Chris

Chris, that's funny... a good use of the RCBS case prep tool which I also have. Yes those 7mm cases look bad and they sure look like they are coming apart on the outside if not the inside as well.

Just a question on belted cases like this vs 338LM for example. Do you find that the belted goes thru less reloads due to the headspace being set off from the belt on the 7mm?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chris, that's funny... a good use of the RCBS case prep tool which I also have. Yes those 7mm cases look bad and they sure look like they are coming apart on the outside if not the inside as well.

Just a question on belted cases like this vs 338LM for example. Do you find that the belted goes thru less reloads due to the headspace being set off from the belt on the 7mm? </div></div>

The key to ANY case's longevity is in properly sizing the case and getting the headspace dialed in to minimize case body stretching.

Also, necks will start to work harden and then split, so if you anneal after say 4-5 firings, you're going to maximize their lifespan.

Finally, primer pockets will loosen up and but for a specialty tool you can buy to tighten them up, there's not much you can do but continue to load less than HOT rounds.

There are specialty dies that will size the belted mag case bodies back down a bit more than standard dies, but I don't have this die set and frankly, 7RM brass is easy to find as 1x and it's cheap enough to buy new and not go broke, so I haven't felt the need to seek out this product.

In the beginning, although I had a Wilson adjustable case gage, I'm sure I missed the mark a bit, so 4, 5 or 6 cycles is fine by me.

Honestly, I never checked those 7RM cases on the inside, so I can't say for sure, if the cracks started on the inside, or the outside, but it really doesn't matter. I would have noticed lines on the outside, prior to loading them up for that cycle, so who knows for sure?

I ditched the whole box of 50, even though those were the only ones that showed lines on the outside, or outright cracks all of the way through.

Take care, Chris

so do you recommend I full length resize (using Redding Body Die) my 338LM brass, or just neck size? If I just neck resize, the brass fits in OK with no noticeable increase in bolt force need to close it down.

I thought I read that we want there to be a thou or two of headspace to let the brass expand and spring back.

I do not want to speak for Chris, but when I size brass I size the neck with a bushing (no button) and push the shoulder back roughly 1/2 to 1 thou.

I have had early signs of head separation after roughly 10-12 firings on some of my 7WSM brass, but that brass seems to need trimming fairly often. When I see the early signs of separation I toss it into the recycle bin. When my percentage of recycled brass is too high for early separation, I chuck the whole lot (roughly 250-300 pieces) into recycling and move on to a new lot of brass. I can't recall the last time I trimmed the 338LM brass; it does no seem to grow very fast.

I anneal every other firing for 338LM, 338LM Improved, 7 Thor (7x338NM), every 2 firings for everything else (7WSM, 7 Dakota, 6x47L). But I own my own annealing gizmo so its not a big PIA

Jeffvn

Just ordered (100) 338 brass from PV. I've had bent Lapua stuff in the past, so I'll let you know if this lot is any better. Fingers crossed!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">pls do update </div></div>

Got my 338 brass from PV; for the most part it is in better shape the stuff I've got in the past. Only about 20% of the cases show an elliptical case mouth, and none of them are as horrible as I've seen before (where the case mouth is almost bent to the point of touching itself on the opposite side). Here's a picture showing some of the worse ones-

350qpfb.jpg

I'll definitely need to run all 100 through the sizer die, but overall I guess this is an improvement. However, I'd love to see them ship in ammo type boxes (with each case held individually) like some of the Norma brass I've seen.

an improvement over my experience, but not enough... for the price of this brass, it should be delivered so that there is 100% quality. This is ridiculous to accept this. Since my Hornady brass is doing so well at 338LM I may just stick to Hornady for future buys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 71firebird400</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">pls do update </div></div>

Got my 338 brass from PV; for the most part it is in better shape the stuff I've got in the past. Only about 20% of the cases show an elliptical case mouth, and none of them are as horrible as I've seen before (where the case mouth is almost bent to the point of touching itself on the opposite side). Here's a picture showing some of the worse ones-

350qpfb.jpg

I'll definitely need to run all 100 through the sizer die, but overall I guess this is an improvement. However, I'd love to see them ship in ammo type boxes (with each case held individually) like some of the Norma brass I've seen. </div></div>

To me, those are unacceptable, but maybe they just look worse than they actually are?

I would forward that pic to PowderValley and Lapua USA and ask them if they can get rid of the jerk who's chewing on their case mouths, at the packing plant.

These were shipped in the blue Lapua plastic boxes, or are they case from a larger bulk lot?

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisGarrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 71firebird400</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">pls do update </div></div>

350qpfb.jpg

I'll definitely need to run all 100 through the sizer die, but overall I guess this is an improvement. However, I'd love to see them ship in ammo type boxes (with each case held individually) like some of the Norma brass I've seen. </div></div>

To me, those are unacceptable, but maybe they just look worse than they actually are?

I would forward that pic to PowderValley and Lapua USA and ask them if they can get rid of the jerk who's chewing on their case mouths, at the packing plant.

These were shipped in the blue Lapua plastic boxes, or are they case from a larger bulk lot?

Chris </div></div>

These were shipped in the new style hard plastic blue box. I have seen much worse, and the truth is I'd rather go through the process of straightening these out than request a handful of cases to replace the screwed up ones and then I've got two different lots of brass.