• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.338 lapua bullets

kjc

Private
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2010
ky
Anybody have any experience with the lapua .338 250 grain lock base? I had thought about giving these a try. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Kevin

I shoot them and have reloaded them. They're a good bullet, but I think that you can do better with the HPBTs from Lapua, Berger, Sierra and Hornady, unless you're getting them for a lot cheaper than the above.

Chris

I can get them for $50 per100. I thought it was a decent price. Just to give them a go.

kjc,

As Chris said, they're good, but you'll most likely get better accuracy from one of the OTM designs, such as the Scenars. The Lock Base is an FMJ design, which is by far the hardest type of bullet in which to produce an accurate product. The Lock Base is one of the designs that gets used in military applications, where the use of a non-expanding bullets is required; definitely not recommended for most hunting tasks.

On the same note that Kevin left off with, the 300gr lapua scenars have been extremely accurate out of my 338 lapua. So much so that I no longer shoot any other bullet out of the gun, period.

Price wise they are about 50% more than the lock base, but well worth it.

I can get them for $50 per100. I thought it was a decent price. Just to give them a go.

I've loaded up a couple of 20 ct boxes and lugged them over to the 1000 yd range and they shot alright. Since my TRG-42 is a 1:12" version, I'm confined to the 250s and I've had great luck with the Scenars, SMKs and at least at 100 yds, the Berger 250gr Hybrids.

Like you said, pick up a box for $50 and see what you see. The 250gr LockBase is an accurate bullet out of a 338LM IME and while it might not be in the Scenar's class, it's certainly not chopped liver, either.

Chris

Thanks for the replies. I'll give them a try.