• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.338 lapua magnum rifle

Kingaaron22

Private
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2020
I have a question resulting from the .338 lapua magnum rifle shortages, I’m at the stage to purchase a .338 lapua magnum rifle. I was going to purchase a ruger precision rifle but can’t find it anywhere, what are some of your guys thoughts or input on a similar rifle for this caliber? Already bought reloading equipment so plan to reload ammo for it. Thank you for your help and time.

A lot depends on your budget.

For a higher end one, you could get a used pre-2014 Accuracy International AX series or the older classic AWSM

Lots of other custom makers also have some really nice ones available.

A lot depends on your budget.

For a higher end one, you could get a used pre-2014 Accuracy International AX series or the older classic AWSM

Lots of other custom makers also have some really nice ones available.

I was hoping to spend no more than 4,000, then I can upgrade later for various components.

I'm assuming that means $4000 including the scope and everything?

Because you can get Pre-2014 AI AX rifles as well as custom ones in the $4k range.

No, already bought a viper pst gen 2 5x25 for the gun and got badger ordinance scope rings. Those are in an AR platform correct?

There might be one going up on the PX in a day or two.

Those are in an AR platform correct?

AWSM:
AWSM.jpg

Pre 2014 AX:
AI_AX_338.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 143lrsd and Luka
I love that pre 2014 AX but I haven’t seen any less than 6k. Do I need to look in the forums?

You usually find them going for around the mid $4k range used.
If you want one, and can't find one, I'll see if I can find someone with one for sale for you.

Yea I want one but my budget is 4K so I don’t wanna waste anyone’s time if they want that much but if it’s around 4K I’m definitely interested

They don’t have .338 lapua magnum? I’m not looking for a Savage read some reviews on it that were poor.

If you're patient (and maybe not all that picky), I bet that you can watch the PX and pick up a decent custom rifle in 338LM within your budget. Or watch for a bargain on a pre-'14 AX338, as previously mentioned.

Reactions: 1moaoff
If you're patient (and maybe not all that picky), I bet that you can watch the PX and pick up a decent custom rifle in 338LM within your budget. Or watch for a bargain on a pre-'14 AX338, as previously mentioned.

im sorry if this is a dumb question but where do you goon the home page to find the PX feed? I can wait just don’t want it to take months, would like to own one on about 3 weeks, month max.

im sorry if this is a dumb question but where do you goon the home page to find the PX feed? I can wait just don’t want it to take months, would like to own one on about 3 weeks, month max.

Some patience will yield better results. Trust me, I've been down this path many times.

Anything in particular spurring you on to own a heavy magnum within the next month?

You can also look at the SAKO TRG 42 or hold out for an AXMC which will save you money down the road on barrel replacement and opens the door to 300 Norma ,33xc and 37xc as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kingaaron22
Anything in particular spurring you on to own a heavy magnum within the next month?

just wanting to start reloading for it, wanting to shoot something bigger than my .308, always wanted one and want to start shooting over 1000yds at a new range I belong to.

You can also look at the SAKO TRG 42 or hold out for an AXMC which will save you money down the road or barrel replacement and opens the door to 300 Norma ,33xc and 37xc as well.

Myra I like the looks and AR style of the AXMC since it’s like all the other rifles I own. I like the customizability of the rifle.

Guys is there a way to filter your thread to .338 lapua magnum or Axmc in order to just view those threads in the buy sell trade portion of the site?

Some patience will yield better results. Trust me, I've been down this path many times.

what is a good optimal time to wait? Just worried about how long it would take to get a good rifle of this caliber due to high demand.

Guys is there a way to filter your thread to .338 lapua magnum or Axmc in order to just view those threads in the buy sell trade portion of the site?

You WON'T find an AXMC in your budget range, what you will find is the older (usually Pre-2014) Accuracy International AX series .338LM often coming close to your budget range.

I'll see if I can find anyone selling one and let you know.

You WON'T find an AXMC in your budget range, what you will find is the older (usually Pre-2014) Accuracy International AX series .338LM often coming close to your budget range.

I'll see if I can find anyone selling one and let you know.

good to know, thank you for letting me know and sounds good I’ll wait and look as well. Thank you for your time and help.

Killer rifle in your price range. Done!!

This rifle is very nice and in my price range for sure, but not AR platform. Would I be able to put a different chassis on this rifle?

I don’t think this is a lapua magnum though
I'm confused what you mean here. They clearly state that is a .338 Lapua Magnum AI (Ackley Improved). Do you not believe them? Are you opposed to the improved chamber?

Myra I like the looks and AR style of the AXMC since it’s like all the other rifles I own. I like the customizability of the rifle.
This rifle is very nice and in my price range for sure, but not AR platform. Would I be able to put a different chassis on this rifle?

Don't buy an AI thinking you're going to customize it. There's like 4 aftermarket parts for the whole lineup, and half involve de-bonding the action and cratering the resale. Also, DEFINITELY not AR platform. If you want customization, tinkering with it, and throwing different chassis at it, (including an accuracy international chassis, which is available for it) you should buy something on a Remington 700 pattern action, like the one linked above (that Defiance action uses R700 footprint so it fits all R700-compatible accessories, including chassis).

I know a lot of people are trying to buy certain types of rifles and their LGS' don't have them on the shelves, so, just out of curiosity, have you asked them to order you one direct from the factory? When I wanted one, and it was not yet available at my LGS, they placed an order for me and I got a great serial numbered rifle. One never knows...oh, and it only took two days to get it!

Mirage ULR
www.mirageulr.com
817-406-4015 Bob & George

I love mine! It’s amazingly accurate 1/4” MOA
.338 HEAVY
Shown in the video
Check the Anvil Bipod out too! Super Stable
They’re pretty quick to build, might have one in stock?

Attachments

• FF70E879-9852-48F3-B83D-401663792AA1.jpeg
    FF70E879-9852-48F3-B83D-401663792AA1.jpeg
    87.6 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
I have a question resulting from the .338 lapua magnum rifle shortages, I’m at the stage to purchase a .338 lapua magnum rifle. I was going to purchase a ruger precision rifle but can’t find it anywhere, what are some of your guys thoughts or input on a similar rifle for this caliber? Already bought reloading equipment so plan to reload ammo for it. Thank you for your help and time.
Hi, I have the Rpr in .338lm and I would like firmly suggest it to you.
I was desiring that caliber since a long time. Trg42 and old Accuracy Intl were in my dreams, but their budget needed, also for used, was a lot.
Ruger has: AR platform, 30 moa rail, huge and well woking muzzel brake, ambidextrous safe, 2 metal aics mags, folding stock full adjustable in length and cheek in height, low recoil, 26" and 5R barrel, safe on trigger and I think to remember everything.
If you coul be patient and wait for it, I'm sure you will satisfied.
If you need some detailed pictures, feel free to ask.
IMG_20200621_130509.jpg

I recently bought a Savage M112 Target Action in 338LM and I was impressed with it's accuracy. Did a ladder test with 250gr Sierra MK. at 600yd. There was a bit of wind that spread the group horizontally.

Attachments

• LadderTest2.png
    LadderTest2.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 51
There are currently two TRG 42s for sale in the PX and they are both .338LMs. Both are well within your limits. There is a thread in this forum on the TRGs. They have great ergos., a great trigger and are built to military standards.

The two are only the first ones that popped up. Go to the Firearms PX. Enter TRG 42 .338 in the search box in the upper right hand corner of the page. Choose This Forum and Titles Only. Search.