• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos .338 Lapua Magnum vs. Bus Engine!

High-Gear

Private
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2006
Kansas, US
At work today I had the opportunity to shoot a bus engine today with the .338 Lapua Magnum to assess the ability to render a vehicle inoperable. This (Needless to say it did very well. It penetrated the block, and jammed a piston to the point it wouldn't turn over)

Here is a series of photos in 1/30th second intervals showing the moment of impact. The GoPro camera was mounted in the engine well and we put the bullet just over the top of the camera by about 1" to get this shot. One in a Million I'd say.

ScreenShot2014-09-26at182124.png
ScreenShot2014-09-26at182134.png
[/URL]
ScreenShot2014-09-26at182145.png
[/URL]
ScreenShot2014-09-26at182157.png
[/URL]
ScreenShot2014-09-26at182208.png
[/URL]
DSC00030.jpg
[/URL]

Badass pictures brother. My question is how well would this work against a moving vehicle threat? In my experience the only way to reliably stop or divert a vehicle is to take out on of the front tires, causing it to veer to one side. Stopping the motor from running rarely if ever stops the vehicle. I'd be interested to see how the 338 performs to that end, but it is very difficult to test.

There is a video out there with a 338 vs the 50 cal, the 50 is just so much more of a bus stopper, even without AP ammo, I decided to hold off on the 338 build I had planned and wait to get a 50 cal.

.338 Lapua Magnum vs. Bus Engine!

I don't discount the .50 being more of a vehicle stopper, but we don't have one.

There are plenty of videos of people running in flats, then rims for miles in police chases. The thought process here is not necessarily to shoot a moving vehicle, but to render the vehicle inoperable prior to a hostage scenario going mobile. The bus was just the biggest motor we could find to test. Light auto engines should be less substantially built. We have a couple of auto's lined up to shoot next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lucky dog, enjoy.

I don't discount the .50 being more of a vehicle stopper, but we don't have one.

There are plenty of videos of people running in flats, then rims for miles in police chases. The thought process here is not necessarily to shoot a moving vehicle, but to render the vehicle inoperable prior to a hostage scenario going mobile. The bus was just the biggest motor we could find to test. Light auto engines should be less substantially built. We have a couple of auto's lined up to shoot next week.

This was a 300 gr Berger match Hybrid fired at 85 yards (due to the location and angle it was as far as we could get.

What happens when there is a grille, AC condenser, and radiator and fan in front of an engine? Would this be enough to change the outcome?

Hellacool vid; props for putting an expensive piece of gear in harm's way. It does raise a really good question which I thought had been answered when the .357 Magnum was introduced and purported to be able to "shoot through an engine block". These guys ("FittyTactical") did a pretty good job of breaking it down; just go to the end and see what 50 Ball and 50 AP do. I understand that rules of engagement differ between situations, but a shot at the base of the driver's side windshield seems like an effective starting point. If ROE are more anti-materiel than anti-personnel, I'd regard the immediate stoppage of a large displacement motor, especially diesel, as "low probability", requiring multiple attacks on multiple sections of the motor, either by multiple shooters, or multiple shots from one shooter. A motor needs to be though of as having multiple functioning segments; disabling one segment may cripple it, but still allow operation for the short term, i.e. long enough to overrun your position. The best bet for one shot immediate stoppage is to take out fuel delivery: no fuel, no combustion, and the possibility of secondary fire, but I don't know how you would effectively target that system with one shot. A shot to the front of the block with a large caliber projectile may or may not yield a complete stoppage; I've witnessed a lot of motors with a piston shot out the side of the block still rattling around under the force of the other 7. Luke205 points out the grill, A/C condenser, radiator, fan: all these are really very flimsy in construction, but if Murphy is aligning them, they will rob the projectile of some of the force needed to achieve a brute force stoppage of the motor. Multiple hits on the motor at different points with calibers ranging form 338 LM up to 50 BMG will eventually damage it beyond function, but how much space will that vehicle cover during that attempt? And at what point from your position do you engage? Tires: if you can hit'em, taking out one front tire makes handling difficult, but how many videos of crackheads driving on steel rims after rolling over spikestrips on the LA freeway have we seen? I'd like to hear from a member of our BTDT (Been There, Done That) Club and get their feedback. Short of a 20mm AP round, I'm still pushing for the base of the windshield, drivers side, hoping some sort of reaction will cause the vehicle to alter course.

The easiest way is to zap the electrical system, the tools are out there.
May not have worked on this motor....appears to be a B series Cummins, one that is all mechanical except for the fuel solenoid (many people put that on a manual cable once the OEM failed).Im having an emotional response to seeing a Cummins 5.9 die like that.

May not have worked on this motor....appears to be a B series Cummins, one that is all mechanical except for the fuel solenoid (many people put that on a manual cable once the OEM failed).Im having an emotional response to seeing a Cummins 5.9 die like that.

I agree, looks like Cummins B series...I'm also sad for the motor...but still cool to see the destructive power of the .338 LM

I've always been under the impression that with a 20mm, you could pretty much make a cruise ship stop going anywhere if you hit it in the right area.