• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kspence49

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2022
Wyoming
Hello all, I’ve recently been turned on to foundation stocks and am currently fighting the urge to convert all my fiberglass stocks over to micarta. My main hunting rifle is a 338 lapua magnum that weighs 8lb 10oz sans scope. It’s currently in a McMillan A5 but am considering dropping it in a revelation due to the “recoil soaking” properties of micarta. The revelation will add about 1.5lbs to my rifle, I don’t want to jump all the way to the genesis because it’s still a hunting rifle so I need to be able to carry it. The recoil is much more manageable than people thing with proper body mass behind it and especially with adrenaline, I’ve watched animals fall in the scope at 400-500. That being said, it isn’t the *most* enjoyable range range rifle, especially when trying to be super relaxed while grouping etc. Does anyone who has some experience think the $1300 spent on the revelation would pay dividends or would it not be enough of an improvement to justify the cost? I must say I’m a bit smitten by the way they look and feel as well, but I’m trying not to let that influence me too much.

If you're looking for recoil benefits between the A5 and Foundation, I personally don't think it's a $1300 difference.

The biggest difference is observed between something like an MPA chassis (tuning fork) and a Foundation. An A5 vs Foundation not so much.

If you want the Foundation, by all means get it. The heart wants what the heart wants. But I don't think the recoil difference is really perceptible, unless compared to an all metal chassis.

If you're looking for recoil benefits between the A5 and Foundation, I personally don't think it's a $1300 difference.

The biggest difference is observed between something like an MPA chassis (tuning fork) and a Foundation. An A5 vs Foundation not so much.

If you want the Foundation, by all means get it. The heart wants what the heart wants. But I don't think the recoil difference is really perceptible, unless compared to an all metal chassis.
I think you’re probably right. I’m trying to justify it some other way but I think it’s purely aesthetics haha. Like you said, the heart wants what it wants haha.

Reactions: kthomas
I think you’re probably right. I’m trying to justify it some other way but I think it’s purely aesthetics haha. Like you said, the heart wants what it wants haha.

And there's nothing wrong with that, if you want a Foundation, try it out. See if it's for you.