• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

338 Lapua reloading

rakiura

Private
Minuteman
May 20, 2010
New Zealand
Reloads for my Desert Tech 338 Lapua are 2765 fps average. Using the exact same load for my buddy's Sako TRG 42 but with the COAL shorter to fit magazine the speed is 2718 fps. Powder is Retumbo and 215M Federal primers. Could someone please explain why the difference in speed? We are reloading for an upcoming LR deer trip.

Assuming both rifles have the same barrel length generally if you load shorter with the same powder charge you will get more velocity. This is because you are reducing the case capacity which will increasing pressure for the same powder charge. Outside of that you will have varience in the way different barrels shoot. Some will just naturally be faster or slower than others. How many round have been down each barrel also has an effect. So in summary, there are a lot of variables so I wouldn't be too concerned so long as your aren't getting pressure signs.

Assuming both rifles have the same barrel length generally if you load shorter with the same powder charge you will get more velocity. This is because you are reducing the case capacity which will increasing pressure for the same powder charge. Outside of that you will have varience in the way different barrels shoot. Some will just naturally be faster or slower than others. How many round have been down each barrel also has an effect. So in summary, there are a lot of variables so I wouldn't be too concerned so long as your aren't getting pressure signs.
Thanks very much that is what I thought, no pressure signs so good to go, much appreciated.

You loaded the rounds deeper for the trg. The farther you move away from the lands, you usually see pressure drop to a point. That's why alot of us do load dev at the lands so you have an idea of worst case max pressure is.

There are other variables to such as bore tightness and condition, throat diameter, freebore length, hell even twist rate and groove pattern change pressure.

Last edited:
You loaded the rounds deeper for the trg. The father you move away from the lands, you usually see pressure drop to a point. That's why alot of us do load dev at the lands so you have an idea of worst case max pressure is.

There are other variables to such as bore tightness and condition, throat diameter, freebore length, hell even twist rate and groove pattern change pressure.
You're right and I appreciate your reply, I'll relay this info to my buddy to calm his anxiety.