• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.338 lathe turned solids for ELR

SurgicalPrecision

Private
Minuteman
Aug 17, 2011
West Virginia
www.youtube.com
What's a good lathe turned solid for .338 that's readily available? I've tried the BoreTechs, which were somewhat disappointing, and I've tried getting my hands on some GS Customs. I'll probably order some of the GS customs once I get moved but I'm looking for something I can have in my hands by the end of the month. I'm looking for something to take out past 1800 yards and still be supersonic at least to 2000 yards. My rifle is a .338 Lapua built on a Surgeon XL action, 30" Pac-Nor 1-9" twist barrel if that helps.

Anyone have any suggestions? Even a really good lead core bullet? I've been shooting 300 grain SMKs and just picked up some 300 grain Berger Hybrids and VLDs. The SMKs have been grouping 1/2 MOA @ 300 yards pretty consistantly.

Re: .338 lathe turned solids for ELR

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: holdthatcow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rockys has a 325 , plus 300 that have a great coef. </div></div>
Link? Email? Phone number? Thanks man, my Google search brought back nothing. My search-fu is worse than my jiu-jitsu.

Thanks Dogtown. I had looked at those, the only thing that turned me off was that I couldn't find a published BC of any sort. Money is of little concern to me for ELR rounds. I just like a rough idea of the ballistics.

My muzzle brake maker is working on some .338 solids modeled off of the 300 grain Berger VLDs but with a slightly longer ogive, and lighter of course. I'm going to do the testing for him. I hope they're as good as I think they will be.

Fredo and I tested the Jamison 270s against the 250 & 300 Scenar and they easily carry the distance better. I don't have my notes here in NZ, so I can't give you details. They're just damned expensive to shoot. Call Jamison and ask for a BC.

If money is no option and you're looking to shoot in the 1800-2200 yard range with a .338, then that is the bullet you should be doing load development with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What barrel twist rate are you using?

</div></div>
1-9" twist.

Google " rocky mountain bullets " they are great...
These are the best in my opinion.

seems like you havent tried Lapua 300 Scenars... higher G7 BC than SMK.