• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.338 LM 1-10 twist, what wieght bullets?

stownhooligan

Private
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2011
Just about ready to start hand loading for my .338, measured the barrel tonight and its right at a 1 and 10 twist. I have been told the 300 gr tips go good in the 1 and 9's but just curious about what guys are burning through their 1 and 10s. Thanks.

Re: .338 LM 1-10 twist, what wieght bullets?

The 300gr. SMKs say right on the box "For 1:10 Twist Barrels"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George Hayduke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just about ready to start hand loading for my .338, measured the barrel tonight and its right at a 1 and 10 twist. I have been told the 300 gr tips go good in the 1 and 9's but just curious about what guys are burning through their 1 and 10s. Thanks. </div></div>

What range are you shooting at? What weapon/barrel length?

You might just want to try the 250s/285s and save some cash and some thump on your shoulder.

Get the 250s up to 2950+ fps and they sail out to 1500+ yards and actually shoot flatter than a 300 going 2700-2750 fps.

For most magazines, the 300s chew up a lot of case capacity.

Chris

I shoot the 300 Berger in my old AI 1-10 twist. Very accurate with H1000. You can shoot anything in that twist. Order a box of each and burn some powder!

I have a lot better luck with the 300 SMK's in my 98B than with 250's. It's 26" with 1:10 twist. I use RL-25.

Thanks guys, just breaking in the barrel with some factory junk until I can build up a descent amount of brass. I will probably try a box of both 250 and 300's once I get the dies in. Cant find the SMK's anywhere right now, the only thing im finding is Berger.

I shoot a 300gr in my 1:10 twist 338LM. If you are going to shoot long range might as well shoot the 300gr bullet. If you are only shooting close range save some cash and shoot a much cheaper bullet. I have shot some 200gr SP from mine out to 600yds and it did very well.

George, if you are trying to build up brass, I have used the Hornady 250 gr and 285 gr factory loads. They are fairly "economical" if you can say that about 338LM, and the cases work very well later. They shot very well, with great groupings, even though I am not an expert marksman.
I have 180 Hornady cases, 100 Lapua cases, and 150 Nosler cases. Haven't shot any Lapua or Nosler yet, and I'm sure the brass is better quality than the Hornady, but my experience, and what I have heard about the Hornady brass, it is nothing to sneeze at---may not be a Mercedes, but it is a luxury car, not a Hyundai.

Skip the 300 grain bullets and go with 285 grain Hornadys. Also skip the Hornady brass as it is little soft and tends to get stuck in a lot of chambers and especially Savage chambers from what I have seen. I would also just skip buying factory ammo if you are set up to reload. The money you are going to spend on 100 rounds of factory ammo would pay for some new Lapua brass, bullets and powder. My thoughts for what it's worth.

I ended up finding some Sellier and Bellot "match" ammo for cheap, 60$ for 20 rnds. I figured I can use that stuff to break in the barrel and save the brass for my handloads, anyone use Sellier brass before? got some 300 gr berger projectiles coming in soon, just need some competition dies now, know of any for sale boys?

Not bad advice, Slayer. I have reloaded some of the Hornady that I bought as ready factory ammo. They are on the third shooting now, and I haven't seen any indications of problems. In working them, I don't think they are really that much softer than the Lapua. Time will tell.
What I will say, is that I bought the Hornady ready loaded rounds for $60/box of 20. $300 for 100 rounds. That is cheaper by far than buying Lapua Brass and all the fixins. And, you get to shoot them before you have to load them. If you are fire-forming, that is done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SniperUncle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not bad advice, Slayer. I have reloaded some of the Hornady that I bought as ready factory ammo. They are on the third shooting now, and I haven't seen any indications of problems. In working them, I don't think they are really that much softer than the Lapua. Time will tell.
What I will say, is that I bought the Hornady ready loaded rounds for $60/box of 20. $300 for 100 rounds. That is cheaper by far than buying Lapua Brass and all the fixins. And, you get to shoot them before you have to load them. If you are fire-forming, that is done. </div></div>

But in the end you still pretty much bought 100 pieces of Hornady brass for $300 dollars. Granted you got to shoot a little but I think you are going to find yourself ending up with Lapua brass in the end if you want to continue shooting the .338. Then you will have to spend $260 or more on 100 pieces of brass and probably have to work up a new load due to the change in brass which is going to cost you bullets, powder, barrel life and some time. Seen this same scenario play out with a few different people. I hope you end up having good luck with the Hornady as I am a big fan of their bullets and brass in certain calibers, but .338 is not one of them.