• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 LM build

mudslinger

Private
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2014
Hello, I'm new here so hi to everyone. I'd like to build a 338 LM. I've looked around and can't seem to find the parts to do so. Is there someone like Brownells that offer parts? Am I better off buying a complete rifle? Is there a comfortable 338 to shoot that has at least moa accuracy for under 3k?

For that amount only Remington and Savage come to mine. I was lucky enought to find a used remy while I was looking for a 300 win mag with scope and bipod with 40 cases for 1600. I've since dumped the barrel for 250 and customized the HS stock, replaced the barrel with a Krieger #10 bull barrel. I sent the action to AO in Ga.for rework but the post office lost it, so they sold me a Stiller Tac 338 that they had ordered the year before.I also had looked around for parts but there not easy to find for such a limited production rifle...they are out there but parts are where you find them.i now have the rifle I always wanted but a little past my budget. With the money from the post office insurance , the trigger sale, Iam in for about 4000. Iam very happy with the work I had done on the rifle and the cost. Being a customizer by trade the HS stock no longer looks factory, the palm swell actually fits my hand it has adjustable comb and length of pull , I drilled the stock and installed a recoil reducer .Also had the barrel treaded for the Allen Precision Pain Killer brake.I have other rifles (lots) but this is my favorite.

I'd like to build a 338 LM. <snip> Is there a comfortable 338 to shoot that has at least moa accuracy for under 3k?

No, not really. The Remmy and Savage are just barely capable of dealing with the forces involved. If all you want is a gun in the safe that is a 338LM and run a few boxes of ammo through it, they are fine. But if you want to shoot the thing day in and day out............

Much better at this level of "gun" is to start with an action designed to deal with the forces involved {BAT, Lawton, a few others}, and build the gun from there. You are going to want a breach barrel diameter of 1.30-1.35"; 4 inches long, tapering to 0.92 at 27-28" at the muzzle.

Also note: shooting a 338 LM is like lighting cigars with $10 bills, $4 if you reload.

I have a tricked out remmington mlr that has everything done to it that you can possibly do to it.... shoots great, looks great, and it handles the pressures no problem, i have prob 5k rounds threw it and no issues,

Check out post in firearms for sale sapper524 complete rifle package stiller tac338 action xlr chassis including reloading components asking 3000.00

Well lets see here, I have all the parts for my 338 build in the safe just waiting to get put together... full blown custom... If you want to stay on the cheaper side remington and savage is what you have to choose from.... I can say that I have 2 friends, one with a savage, and one with a remington.. they developed custom loads and they do shoot very well. It is no custom rifle though. they are getting shots in a 10 inch group at 1000 yards.

my custom build price wise:

Defiance machine deviant action - $1300
Kreiger barrel - $500
bottom metal - $300
jewel trigger - $210
Manners stock - $1000
Muzzle brake - $60

$3400ish for parts plus $500-$700 more getting it all built... if that gives you any kind of good ball park figure.

No, not really. The Remmy and Savage are just barely capable of dealing with the forces involved. If all you want is a gun in the safe that is a 338LM and run a few boxes of ammo through it, they are fine. But if you want to shoot the thing day in and day out............

Much better at this level of "gun" is to start with an action designed to deal with the forces involved {BAT, Lawton, a few others}, and build the gun from there. You are going to want a breach barrel diameter of 1.30-1.35"; 4 inches long, tapering to 0.92 at 27-28" at the muzzle.

Also note: shooting a 338 LM is like lighting cigars with $10 bills, $4 if you reload.
It costs me about 0.90 cents per reload not factoring in brass. Lapua brass is roughly $2.50 each. Ten reloads brings my rounds to about $1.15 each.

300 SMK
Retumbo or H1000
215M or CCI 250
* All components are purchased in bulk
* Allows me to shoot more accurately and more often

To OP:
I purchased a Savage 110 BA brand new back in 2012. Fine if you want the caliber and want to hear large steel go bang! Custom if you really want accuracy and SUB MOA steel way out there.

Buy Once - Cry Once
I spent an extra $2K prior to my custom.
Are you reading between my lines? [emoji6]

sent via Tapatalk

I'd keep an eye out for a used custom in your price range. Would not try your first build with 338LM. Powerful round that could cause a lot of damage or injury, if something is done wrong. Costs a lot to shoot! If you're just starting in LR shooting would go with 260 or 308. Plenty of nice used custom guns available to learn shooting LR and ammo won't break the bank. The more you can shoot, the more fun you'll have and develop better skills!

I had a 308. Rem 700 sps varmit. Custom loads I got groups .383 at 100 yards. I've always liked the 338 LM. Couldn't find parts though. I've done some custom work on a couple guns and I've built a couple ar15's. Thought of getting a used gun but I'm kinda Leary about it. I guess someone that owns a 338 LM would take care of it. Its not something you drag through the woods.lol I see some good info here. Thanks y'all!