• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 338 LM neck

Erthal

Private
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2005
Brasil
Hi guys

Now that I have all parts together, its time to decide on what neck diameter will be used for my custom 338 LM on Stillers action with MCM A5 stock with CIP botton metal, Krieger or Bartlein barrel-dont remember, ( alls this purchased from bugholes, a nice guy) and a 'Fat Bastard" muzzle break.
As this is a almost unknow caliber to me, I need some help to choose the best neck diameter and FB for my rifle, who will be used only for paper punching and my goal is a more accurate rifle possible, and reliable function isnt to important( just in case a tight neck will disturb) Also, a good brass life is a plus.
The bullets are Sierra and Berger 300 grains.
So what is yours neck diameter on rifles for this purpose?

Excuse my bad english writing

Hi guys

To me too seems that only .002'' clearance is on tight side, as my PPC rifle has .003". But as I told, I need some help.

The gunsmith have a match reamer with .375" to .373" on the mouth, but this seemed to large, as I was thinking more on the .004" clearance .

But as I dont know what will be the neck dimensions with Lapua brass and Berger/Sierra bullet seated, maybe this reamer will be just fine.

Thanks

My loaded rounds measure .3680" to .3682" on the neck. 300 grain Berger. Lapua brass. Reamer print says .373" at the mouth so about .005" clearance. It works extremely well. My personal Stiller Tac 338 with a PacNor 5 groove shoots 5 shot groups in the mid to high 1's. In the next week or two watch for a couple more best effort 338LM's to be finished up. I stay way clear of the rifling to avoid pressure spikes. Let's the bullet get a good run into it before pressure can spike. ES numbers are rarely over 20 fps. RL-33 or Retumbo.

338lapuamatchjpg.jpg

As always, nothing like listen those who already have walked the same road.

Thanks