• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 LM Options?

Renard123

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2011
I have an itch for a nice 338 LM. I already have reloading components and understand it is expensive, etc. I also won't shoot it much and when I do, probably at distances that you would all laugh at. But I want one and that is how it is. And I want something a step or many above Ruger or Savage, etc.

I believe the ultimate is the AXSR. I am local to Mile High and have two AE MKIIIs bought from them years ago that are lasers (308 and 6.5cm). But the SR is so expensive, and caliber changes are so expensive on top of that. I would have to sell the AEs and they don't bring much these days given the used ATs out there. So I don't think this is a good option. AXMCs seem pretty rare at this point. Doubt I will ever find one for a reasonable price given how much the SR now costs.

That means I am now looking at MRADs, SRS-A2s, etc. Also Cadex I guess, although I know nothing at all about them. All are in the approximate $5-6K range. For that price I would like to be able to swap calibers or at least have an easy to change barrel (don't know if this is possible with Cadex). Anyway I've had many Barrett 50s in the past so I'm familiar with them. I always liked Desert Tech but it seems their reputation took a big hit with the MDR. Right now it seems that I could order a new SRS-A2 with a couple caliber kits (338 and 6.5cm) directly from them for just over $7K. There are Barretts available but mostly on GB and it seems caliber kits are not in stock anywhere. It seems the SRS caliber changes are quicker/easier. I would want a 6.5cm option in any multi-caliber system.

My concern is that when I see SRS-A2 reviews they are consistently showing groups "sub-moa," but like barely half-moa (0.7", 0.6", etc.). My AEs are shooting 0.3" or maybe even less consistently off the bench with little effort (I am not a competition shooter and would be considered "super horrible amateur" compared to most people on this board). Anyway it just seems like that might be a step backwards or maybe I am just reading the wrong info.

I am also wondering if there are other options I should be looking at in the same price range. Especially with a "quick change" barrel. Thanks for any advice.

The most economical choice is a single shot with multiple bolts. A BAT M with two bolts and two barrels could be bedded into a McMillan stock for probably $4500ish. It does require a vise for barrel changes, but can be done easily in 10 minutes without removing from the stock. Based on your description of use, you’ll not need a “quick follow-up” shot that a magazine gives you. You can also avoid the expense and feeding concerns. A single AXMC magazine is $100.

The new Borden Bigfoot may be an option as well.

Hi,

Not a QD barrel change design (For a reason) but easily just spin barrel off via wrench flats on the barrel and spin another one on.

You can read the entire companies journey in absolute transparency here:
(1) Hoplite Arms | Sniper's Hide Forum

Website is:
www.hoplitearms.com

You can contact me directly with any questions.

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: kthomas
I love my trg 42 but I have to single load my rifle as the magazine is too short. I ordered an mrad on sale but don't know when to expect it. The AXMC is hard to beat though. Other than that I think I would go custom build.

I have an itch for a nice 338 LM. I already have reloading components and understand it is expensive, etc. I also won't shoot it much and when I do, probably at distances that you would all laugh at. But I want one and that is how it is. And I want something a step or many above Ruger or Savage, etc.

I believe the ultimate is the AXSR. I am local to Mile High and have two AE MKIIIs bought from them years ago that are lasers (308 and 6.5cm). But the SR is so expensive, and caliber changes are so expensive on top of that. I would have to sell the AEs and they don't bring much these days given the used ATs out there. So I don't think this is a good option. AXMCs seem pretty rare at this point. Doubt I will ever find one for a reasonable price given how much the SR now costs.

That means I am now looking at MRADs, SRS-A2s, etc. Also Cadex I guess, although I know nothing at all about them. All are in the approximate $5-6K range. For that price I would like to be able to swap calibers or at least have an easy to change barrel (don't know if this is possible with Cadex). Anyway I've had many Barrett 50s in the past so I'm familiar with them. I always liked Desert Tech but it seems their reputation took a big hit with the MDR. Right now it seems that I could order a new SRS-A2 with a couple caliber kits (338 and 6.5cm) directly from them for just over $7K. There are Barretts available but mostly on GB and it seems caliber kits are not in stock anywhere. It seems the SRS caliber changes are quicker/easier. I would want a 6.5cm option in any multi-caliber system.

My concern is that when I see SRS-A2 reviews they are consistently showing groups "sub-moa," but like barely half-moa (0.7", 0.6", etc.). My AEs are shooting 0.3" or maybe even less consistently off the bench with little effort (I am not a competition shooter and would be considered "super horrible amateur" compared to most people on this board). Anyway it just seems like that might be a step backwards or maybe I am just reading the wrong info.

I am also wondering if there are other options I should be looking at in the same price range. Especially with a "quick change" barrel. Thanks for any advice.

The AI rifles are really nice if you want to have something that's able to swap calibers and be used all different ways.

If however you specifically want to push the .338LM to it's limits, I'd suggest you look at the Hoplite Rifles that @THEIS will be selling.
You can get them specifically setup to shoot solids well and push significantly higher pressures (using the right brass) than a normal .338LM rifle.

In my case, I have 2 of the AI rifles in .338LM and they are excellent, however I'm going to be getting a Hoplite rifle as soon as they are taking orders as the AI factory barrels aren't setup to run the heavy solids & I want to try seeing how far I can push the .338LM

In addition, if the high pressure ammo plan works out, you'll be able to (with a barrel change), use bimetalic cartridges to push .338 projectiles at much higher pressures / speeds than previously possible.

I'll probably wind up selling one of AI rifles after I get the Hoplite one, as I'll probably be mostly using that one when I want to shoot .338LM

Reactions: DIBBS
Thanks for the great suggestions everyone. These are definitely options I hadn't considered before. Time for more research and keep them coming if anyone has other ideas!

I missed the cal swap thing, just curious if you already have a 308, why not just grab your other rifle? Be faster and already dialed in.