• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

.338 LM & Retumbo sweet spot?

thefitter

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 10, 2010
Since Retumbo seems to be the powder of choice in .338 LM around here what is your most accurate load with this combo?

I'm trying to get a jump on load development by seeing if there is a common sweet spot that I can work from.

Not particularly interested in speed but please also provide barrel length.

Thanks

Hey there, I have a savage 111 LRH in 338LM with a 26" barrel and the load I have settled on is 91 grains of retumbo under a 300 grain berger seated to 3.775. It will fit in the mag and shoots clover leaf size groups at 100. On a 10 inch gong it will put 5 shots under 5 inches at 1000 yards.

If you start with 89 grains and work up to 91 (or more) that should put you in the ballpark where your rifle will shoot the best. I use retumbo extensively and love it for multiple rifles. Hope this helps.

I ended up with 86.5 pushing a .300gr Lapua Scenar. I have been looking for some beger bullets but can't find them anywhere.

Thanks for these.

I forgot in the OP that it will be 300gr Bergers.