• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 norma at 2100 yards

mudvayne

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2011
Washington TX
Guys I got out 2 days ago and got in a decent session at 2100 yards with the 338 norma mag. It was just about dark so I didnt get to shoot much but did ok I guess. So I set the target out in the field and drove down the road til I thought I was about 1/2 way to a tree line. Got out and ranged the target and it was at 1300 yards. Turned the other way and the tree line was 800 and some change. sweet roughly 2100.

So I set up the phone with the numbers off the kestrel and dialed up 89.5 MOA and right 13 moa. Settled in for the first shot and sent it. I didnt see any dirt kick up so I dialed it down 2 min to maybe see splash in front of the target. 2nd shot hit perfect windage and maybe a foot low or so. Back up 1.5 min. Wind looked the same and sent it. The target swung! and then heard a dull thump. I couldnt believe I could here the target thud at that distance! I shot again and missed right as the wind let off a touch. the next three shots connected on the plate. Then I touched off 10 more shots and ended up hitting it a total of 7 rounds. I even had two hits on the target legs and cross beam. Sorry for the grainy pic but my phone just wouldnt focus too good with the lighting condiditions! Thought it was odd how some rounds chipped off paint and some you could barely tell they hit. I went subsonic at around 1950ish so maybe they didnt hit so directly.

Maverick

2100.jpg

Re: 338 norma at 2100 yards

That is some pretty impressive shooting, good work! What pills were you throwing at it and at what speed?

Im shooting 300 gr bergers at 2803 fps. I have a 3 fps ES shot over a PVM21 chrono so those numbers are correct!

3fps ES ?!?!? You mean 30fps right?

p.s. amazing shooting...

Currently shooting 300 over RL25 out of my LM but have some 300 hybrids I'm going to experiment with soon. Have heard nothing but great things about the Bergers. What powder are you using to achieve the low ES?

No Cali...legit 3 fps spread. That is witnessed by a fellow hide member (blklabs)if you dont believe me. Again with a PVM 21 chrono. Doesnt get much better than that! 89.0 gr of H1000 @3.62"

Cali I have a 40 moa base and plus a 20 moa alpha mount so 60moa in the base/ring set up. also I have a leupold Mark4 16x that has 140 moa internally. The way it is set up I can dial from 100 to 2575 yards before holding over the target.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mudvayne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks bud! This weekend im going out to 2500 to see if it holds true </div></div>

Now that will be very interesting keep us posted

I will video this shooting RM. I have some video of me shooting at 2150. Of course that footage was lost dernit! Guess I'll have to do it again but further! I will post pics and video as soon as I can next week. Pray the wind is down that day for me! I loaded up all my brass last night so i should have plenty of attempts. What I will do is shoot 5 shot strings. Then I will let the barrel cool off. I am sure I can hit it. I have shot to 2200 with my 7 mag so another 300 yards with a 300 berger should be possible I think. Wish me luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brado16</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Currently shooting 300 over RL25 out of my LM but have some 300 hybrids I'm going to experiment with soon. Have heard nothing but great things about the Bergers. What powder are you using to achieve the low ES? </div></div>

Ment to saying currently shooting 300 Scenars over RL25 with a OAL of 3.90" that fits into my Seekins DMB.

Keep us posted on the 2500 yards!

Good Luck

Given what I see from loading down to the individual grain (one grain of N570 is close to 0.1grains on the scale) 3fps of ES seems impossible. Unless it's from like a sample size of two lol. So either you are achieving something quite impressive, or the error in my scale and my chron (a cheaper CED device) is giving me erroneous data on my side. I've never encountered a sub 10fps ES in my various web browsing of reloading results.

Not to say you haven't achieved it but just add to feats on the snipershide that I just am incredulous about. Like the 5 one mile shots into the one 5 gallon plastic jug.

Cali believe what you want man. I also weigh to the granual but am using H1000. I have just got some N570 and that stuff looks like mini sticks of dynamite compared to H1000! Im about to get a bullet tipping die too so maybe this will help with some of the ELR shooting. Also Cali I know just as well as you with the clames of BS on this sight. All i am doing is stating what I have and what Im doing. Im not trying to claim the impossible or anything of the sort. Just take everything with a grain of salt and if you ever make it to my neck of the woods your more than welcome to come shoot with me brother.

@ Paul- I will man. Im pretty excited and If I get hits at 2500 yards I will back it up 100 yards at a time until I stop getting hits!

I can back up the 3es since it was my pvm-21 he shot over. I don't remember the sample size but it was more than 2. Cali I switched from the ced2 to the pvm recently and it was an eye opener. My loads that used to run good on the ced left a lot to be desired when shot over the pvm. I don't know what he did right with that string, but I was certainly shocked!

Thank you for the clarification Jonathan. This weekend my course will be a nice train up for the Frost! I added another stage we will shoot at my place. You can only see half a target just over a tank damn at 717 yards...good stuff!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Given what I see from loading down to the individual grain (one grain of N570 is close to 0.1grains on the scale) 3fps of ES seems impossible. Unless it's from like a sample size of two lol. So either you are achieving something quite impressive, or the error in my scale and my chron (a cheaper CED device) is giving me erroneous data on my side. I've never encountered a sub 10fps ES in my various web browsing of reloading results.

Not to say you haven't achieved it but just add to feats on the snipershide that I just am incredulous about. <span style="font-weight: bold">Like the 5 one mile shots into the one 5 gallon plastic jug. </div></div></span>

You're calling out one of the most respected rifle builder/shooters on the Hide not to mention the only two threads I've read in the last 2 days has you posting disbelief about another member's experience.

Perhaps others have done things that you have not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Given what I see from loading down to the individual grain (one grain of N570 is close to 0.1grains on the scale) 3fps of ES seems impossible. Unless it's from like a sample size of two lol. So either you are achieving something quite impressive, or the error in my scale and my chron (a cheaper CED device) is giving me erroneous data on my side. I've never encountered a sub 10fps ES in my various web browsing of reloading results.

Not to say you haven't achieved it but just add to feats on the snipershide that I just am incredulous about. Like the 5 one mile shots into the one 5 gallon plastic jug. </div></div>

The answer to your question is right in your post. "in my various web browsing of reloading results". If you don't believe Mr. Muscles (mudvayne) you should go out and get your own info.

I see Mudvayne and Blklabs shooting at all of the bigger comps and they are honest guys and talented shooters.

Good shooting, Mr. Muscles. I will see you Saturday.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Not to say you haven't achieved it but just add to feats on the snipershide that I just am incredulous about. Like the 5 one mile shots into the one 5 gallon plastic jug. </div></div>

The answer to your question is right in your post. "in my various web browsing of reloading results". If you don't believe Mr. Muscles (mudvayne) you should go out and get your own info.

I see Mudvayne and Blklabs shooting at all of the bigger comps and they are honest guys and talented shooters.

Good shooting, Mr. Muscles. I will see you Saturday.

[/quote]

Thanks Wade! Just dont thump me too badly this weekend. I will be there friday to zero out. Me and Berry shot a train up match this weekend at a buddies place and it was good stuff. Tell Eddie up there that when he wants another whoopin on his own range I'll be his huckleberry
grin.gif

MudVaYnE