• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.338 options, .338-.408?

Strykervet

ain'T goT no how whaTchamacalliT
Minuteman
  • Jun 5, 2011
    Pierce County, WA
    So I got a can for .338 back during the 41f days. I figured I'd get a TRG42. Well, next year after the election bullshit I'll probably focus on a big bolt gun. But I got to thinking, why .338LM? It'll cost me just as much to setup loading and all for that as it would a wildcat.

So I ran across .338-.408. It slings a .768 BC 300gr. .338 SMK at a spiffy 3150fps.

I know this will be even worse on barrel life than the .338. But I don't plan on using this rifle a whole lot anyway, probably about as much as the BMG.

But since I have the BMG, I sorta would like the .338 to be a lighter setup. Not the big ass HTI I currently have and I know that Cheytac shit uses the HTI chassis. I'd like something like a Harris Tac 338 (that's the dream rifle to be honest). Not a chassis fan but not against 'em either.

Ideas?

Whats wrong with the original idea of a TRG42, its a fine rifle. Just get the KRG folding stock for it and a scope of your liking.

Cant go wrong with that set up!

Whats wrong with the original idea of a TRG42, its a fine rifle. Just get the KRG folding stock for it and a scope of your liking.

Cant go wrong with that set up!

You're absolutely right, and if one popped up for the right price I'd get it. Almost got one for $2000 or so recently... But it was in .300WM.

I like the stock they come in, but unless it comes with all the shit, it can cost more than the Tac338, which is the one I actually want.

But if I'm gonna spend $xxxx, why limit myself?

Gonna go check that out, thanks.

The biggest gripe with the .338-.408 is the cost of brass.

That 33xc looks promising, don't know why .338LM is a thing if that exists. Same velocity as the .338-.408 but otherwise superior in every way --uses small press, same action as .338, less powder, less throat wear, etc. And it'll sling 250's at 3450fps, that's impressive.

They rent reamers and the dies are WAY cheaper than custom or BMG dies.

You can mod any .338 action to this provided the barrel's twist rate is ~9, so I got a lot of options.

Thanks, I think this probably solves my dilemma unless you guys have some other option to consider. But it's gonna have to really be a performer I think.

Yeah, the TRG42 is a pricey platform, but then again, quality dont come cheap. With that said, some of the parts for it, carry a pretty crazy price tag.
    The Tac338 is a nice platform too, thats for sure. I still think I would go TRG42, if given the choice. But thats me. Get what gets your juices flowing.