• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

.338 Quiet A "quiet" rifle build. More pix

Tucsondave

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
img0109ws.jpg
img0110e.jpg
img0115pm.jpg

Krieger Barrel,Defiance Machine Actions,PTG Bolt. Awaiting the Manners T4 Stock.

Re: A "quiet" rifle build.

Update,,,

Dave your stock and mine will be here the end of this week very good news,,,,,as far as the actions go Im VERY impressed to say the least! These should be 2 very nice rifles and cant wait to see them perform! HUSHHHHHHHHHHH.....LMFAO

Tucsondave, what was your reasoning for going very short but with a very heavy contour? Just curious, seems counter productive.

I doubt a 9mm can would be designed for the pressures this flame thrower will develop. A titanium Thunder Beast would be nice.

Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">short because he is going to shoot subsonic and does not need the velocity. heavy because without the can, they kick like a mule. </div></div>

What round/case is this ? what bullet will you be shooting ?

Why are you building two of the same sub rifles ?

I shoot a 338 whisper with 300smk very little kick in my gun

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I doubt a 9mm can would be designed for the pressures this flame thrower will develop. A titanium Thunder Beast would be nice.

Pat </div></div>

I'm under the impression this is going to be for shooting subsonic .338 projectiles. If so, a 9mm suppressor would be ideal. Especially since the baffle stack would be optimized at those pressures and muzzle velocities.

If this is for shooting supersonic rounds, a 9mm suppressor would be a horrible idea.

is it going to be the 338 whisper #1 or #2 cant wait to hear it when its done. thought about doing a 338 whisper on my ltr when it needs a rebarrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you get away with a 9mm can and the weight savings that will come with it? </div></div>

Aaron,weight was not an issue in this build. Not really a field rifle. We wanted something that would be kinda oversized and different. Also, there should be very very little recoil because of that weight. We're using that AWC Thundertrap in.338 I already have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BMG50CAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">short because he is going to shoot subsonic and does not need the velocity. heavy because without the can, they kick like a mule. </div></div>

What round/case is this ? what bullet will you be shooting ?

Why are you building two of the same sub rifles ?

I shoot a 338 whisper with 300smk very little kick in my gun </div></div>

Case is a 7mm BR necked up to a 300 Gr. SMK or Scenar.
The other is going to be a .510
I have a .338 that I shoot suppressed and it has very little recoil w/full power loads. This heavy of a Barrel and the suppressor should make for a recoil equal to a .22 with a bit more energy at impact.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I doubt a 9mm can would be designed for the pressures this flame thrower will develop. A titanium Thunder Beast would be nice.

Pat </div></div>

I'm under the impression this is going to be for shooting subsonic .338 projectiles. If so, a 9mm suppressor would be ideal. Especially since the baffle stack would be optimized at those pressures and muzzle velocities.

If this is for shooting supersonic rounds, a 9mm suppressor would be a horrible idea.

Aaron as ususal you are correct. However,since I already have a .338 can we are gonna use that. Plus we will be able to see what results we have with full power loads as well. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fast freddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is it going to be the 338 whisper #1 or #2 cant wait to hear it when its done. thought about doing a 338 whisper on my ltr when it needs a rebarrel. </div></div>

Since its not from SSK we are just calling it, "A Quiet"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I doubt a 9mm can would be designed for the pressures this flame thrower will develop. A titanium Thunder Beast would be nice.

Pat </div></div>

If this is for shooting supersonic rounds, a 9mm suppressor would be a horrible idea. </div></div>

Using a pistol caliber suppressor on a rifle round is a bad idea regardless if they are full power loads or subs. I would say stick to what you have planned and use the 338 can. I have a feeling that the sub rounds could still damage a 9mm can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Using a pistol caliber suppressor on a rifle round is a bad idea regardless if they are full power loads or subs. I would say stick to what you have planned and use the 338 can. I have a feeling that the sub rounds could still damage a 9mm can. </div></div>

I would be curious to hear your reasoning behind this. It is very common to use 9mm cans on 300 whisper rifles and I have never seen or heard of an issue from use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dksd39</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Using a pistol caliber suppressor on a rifle round is a bad idea regardless if they are full power loads or subs. I would say stick to what you have planned and use the 338 can. I have a feeling that the sub rounds could still damage a 9mm can. </div></div>

I would be curious to hear your reasoning behind this. It is very common to use 9mm cans on 300 whisper rifles and I have never seen or heard of an issue from use. </div></div>

What happens when you load one round a little bit hotter then the last sub rounds you loaded? and the pressure either blows the can apart or sends it down range like a small missile? Its a safety precaution. And for the numerous 300 whisper projects ive shot they have all been custom built cans or 30cal thread ons.

How many times have you shot a rifle round thru a pistol caliber can? Have you ever seen one explode or a baffle strike cause it to tumble in the suppressor and exit the side? To many variables for me. Ill take safety over anything else.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Using a pistol caliber suppressor on a rifle round is a bad idea regardless if they are full power loads or subs. I would say stick to what you have planned and use the 338 can. I have a feeling that the sub rounds could still damage a 9mm can. </div></div>
Sub .338 rounds will not damage a 9mm can. Your feelings, while you may be entitled to them, have no factual basis. It's been tested and tested and tested. Sub .338 rounds will not damage a 9mm can.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And for the numerous 300 whisper projects ive shot they have all been custom built cans or 30cal thread ons. </div></div>
That doesn't mean anything necessarily now does it?
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
How many times have you shot a rifle round thru a pistol caliber can? </div></div>
Over 100 times actually. Been shooting regular .243 and 6.8SPCII through a popular 9mm suppressor since October. I cannot load the 6.8SPCII any hotter. There have been no problems or structural changes to the 9mm suppressor whatsoever. Sounds pretty good too. The thing to be cautious of seems to be heat. Rapid fire is a no go. If you keep it limited to semi-auto of the sort found while hunting. An occasional semi-auto, all seems to be fine. The most consecutive rounds I've shot has been 6 before I stopped to let it cool.---<span style="font-weight: bold">This is not an endorsement. You asked, so I replied honestly. Should something negative happen to the suppressor it will be fixed or replaced on THEIR dime. I've been testing it FOR THE COMPANY.</span>
Have you ever seen one explode or a baffle strike cause it to tumble in the suppressor and exit the side?</div></div>
I've seen a few let go. Not 9mm cans because of rifle rounds, usually rifle cans because of rifle rounds. I understand your concerns, but that could happen regardless. It's a fact of life when it comes to suppressors as a possible outcome. I can only tell you what I've seen and done.

I'd be more inclined to stick with a .338 can simply for the sound. Most .338 cans are large, most 9mm pistol cans are not. Even on a subsonic .338, I'm betting an AAC Titan (10" x 2") is quieter than a Trident (approx 7" by 1.375").

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I doubt a 9mm can would be designed for the pressures this flame thrower will develop. A titanium Thunder Beast would be nice.

Pat </div></div>

If this is for shooting supersonic rounds, a 9mm suppressor would be a horrible idea. </div></div>

actually, the other posters are correct....if he is shooting a 338 whisper, a 9mm can is the perfect choice as it is designed to shoot subsonic rounds. call the technical guy at OPS INC. he will tell you the exact same thing. in fact that's what he hunts coyotes with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

You REALLY need to learn when and who to attempt to "debate" with. BachelorJack has without a doubt shot and been around more suppressor testing than you have even read about.

Had an instructor once tell me "It is better to remain silent and let others think your an idiot than to open your mouth and confirm others thoughts for them".

Just as in the 20" WM thread where you stated you have never heard of anyone going that short..well Remington and Ashbury do it straight from the factory. You were wrong in that thread just as you are in this one!!

Experience always trumps "feelings".

Thanks

Dave-
For some reason the term "cute" comes to mind when I see that round. LOL. Kinda fruity, I know....
Looks like some neat projects. What are the odds of you posting a video with audio so we can hear what these sound like?
Very cool.

I have always believed that the "whisper" or subsonic rounds were capable of being shot with pistol caliber cans. Case capacity is what allows these calibers to be shot with pistol suppressors. Rounds like a .338 Spectre is shot with mostly a 9mm can.

Either way, very cool project Tuscondave!

Re: .338 Quiet A "quiet" rifle build. More pix

looks great, can't wait to see the finished product, keep the pics coming

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Later</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

You REALLY need to learn when and who to attempt to "debate" with. BachelorJack has without a doubt shot and been around more suppressor testing than you have even read about.

Had an instructor once tell me "It is better to remain silent and let others think your an idiot than to open your mouth and confirm others thoughts for them".

Just as in the 20" WM thread where you stated you have never heard of anyone going that short..well Remington and Ashbury do it straight from the factory. You were wrong in that thread just as you are in this one!!

Experience always trumps "feelings".

Thanks
</div></div>

I wasn't disagreeing with BachelorJack. I was simply giving my input. I wouldn't shoot a rifle round thru a pistol suppressor. Thats just not something I could do. Whether you can or not it makes no difference to me, Im not comfortable with it. Who brought you into this in the first place? Do you feel the need to comment on everything I write?

How am I wrong for not knowing that people offer a 20" factory built 300WM? You cant be wrong if you didn't know in the first place. And I do recall several months back when I got my Surgeon back in 300WSM and wanted the barrel cut down people were telling me left and right not to go below 22" on either cartridge.

You need to lighten up. You cant rip someone for expressing their opinion. Your just assuming that I am telling him what to run on his rifle. Not at all, he can do whatever he wants.

assumption is the mother of all F*** ups.

Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Using a pistol caliber suppressor on a rifle round is a bad idea regardless if they are full power loads or subs. I would say stick to what you have planned and use the 338 can. I have a feeling that the sub rounds could still damage a 9mm can. </div></div>
Sub .338 rounds will not damage a 9mm can. Your feelings, while you may be entitled to them, have no factual basis. It's been tested and tested and tested. Sub .338 rounds will not damage a 9mm can.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And for the numerous 300 whisper projects ive shot they have all been custom built cans or 30cal thread ons. </div></div>
That doesn't mean anything necessarily now does it?
How many times have you shot a rifle round thru a pistol caliber can? </div></div>
Over 100 times actually. Been shooting regular .243 and 6.8SPCII through a popular 9mm suppressor since October. I cannot load the 6.8SPCII any hotter. There have been no problems or structural changes to the 9mm suppressor whatsoever. Sounds pretty good too. The thing to be cautious of seems to be heat. Rapid fire is a no go. If you keep it limited to semi-auto of the sort found while hunting. An occasional semi-auto, all seems to be fine. The most consecutive rounds I've shot has been 6 before I stopped to let it cool.---<span style="font-weight: bold">This is not an endorsement. You asked, so I replied honestly. Should something negative happen to the suppressor it will be fixed or replaced on THEIR dime. I've been testing it FOR THE COMPANY.</span>
Have you ever seen one explode or a baffle strike cause it to tumble in the suppressor and exit the side?</div></div>
I've seen a few let go. Not 9mm cans because of rifle rounds, usually rifle cans because of rifle rounds. I understand your concerns, but that could happen regardless. It's a fact of life when it comes to suppressors as a possible outcome. I can only tell you what I've seen and done. </div></div>

I appreciate your knowledge Jack. News to me! I guess I havent covered all aspects of suppressor technology yet and whats interchangeable with that.

I did however run a 30cal can on my SBR in 6.8 SPC. After one 30 round mag it was so hot that you couldnt haven even taken it off with gloves without melting them. I was just worried about the 9mm can in a similar scenario being that its not built to a 30cal cans specs and usually not as thick (in the tubes walls) could it get so hot that it deforms and causes failure to your rifle or can? Being that the baffles in the pistol can arent built like a 30cal can, would you get decreased life with rifle calibers?

Im asking these questions because maybe I have stumbled onto a new project. I have an extra 9mm can and nothing to put it on....

thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I wasn't disagreeing with BachelorJack. I was simply giving my input. </div></div>

It is called disagreeing when you post your "feeling" when you trying to offer a rebuttal to someones personal experience.

How am I wrong for not knowing that people offer a 20" factory built 300WM? You cant be wrong if you didn't know in the first place. </div></div>

Its considered wrong because you post without having enough knowledge/experience to back it up...Its called "Only post on what you know about", not what you do NOT know about. Didn't you ever get taught to know BOTH sides of debate before attempting to enter it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Who brought you into this in the first place? </div></div>

Well you did SOS! By attempting to offer your opinion over someone else's experience. You seem to have a habit of that. Don't like it?? So be it
smile.gif

assumption is the mother of all F*** ups.
</div></div>

TRUST ME!!! I make no assumptions about you at all. No need to make assumptions due to fact you fail to recognize my instructors advice.

O yea there was that one time we had assumed you were 6'5" and 275lb powerlifter after you said you were... until we met you in Vegas and found out you were "Internet Tall" LMAO

Thanks

Ill take this to PM's as not to stink up the thread. I have that common courtesy at least.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ill take this to PM's as not to stink up the thread. I have that common courtesy at least.

</div></div>

LC doesn't take PM's.

Doubt he is planning on lettingyou hide privately on this one. He'll want everything with you out in the open.

Just sayin'

i have no problem posting what I wrote to him. I think its kinda shitty to gum up someone else thread though. Not hiding from anything. never once did I make claims of being 6'5 and 275lbs.

Sorry Tuscondave!!!! dont mean to shit on your thread.

You gum up threads everytime you spout off with shit you know nothing about.....

again, just sayin'

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> never once did I make claims of being 6'5 and 275lbs. </div></div>

Yea ya did... 'else I wouldn't have said to your face that you were 'internet tall'.... remember that one Sparky? At the Magpul booth... after you tried to avoid us after Later told you who we were...

Dave... apologies bro...

-Wil