• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing 338 to 375?

Sorefoot

Private
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2013
Central TN
Wondering if I bought a used savage in 338, would the action support changing to a .375 cheytec with buying a 375 bolt and rebarreling? Thanks in advance!

I don't shoot Cheytac, but what you suggest sounds very dangerous. I would be extremely surprised if you can find a smith to build that for you. Pretty much all of the Cheytac rifles I have seen have beastly custom actions in the 1.55-1.60" diameter range.

Don't do it. The Savage action was never meant for a round that size. I know the 338 is fine, but I personally wouldn't even build one of those on a savage action. I'm not bashing Savage, I love building on their actions, but I think they need some work before they start putting anything bigger than a 338 on their action.

There are those that argue that the Savage .338 action is marginally safe anyway, and that is for .338 LM. I'm not sure that it has ever been studied in a scientific manner and I shoot my .338 LM quite a bit with no trouble. However, I personally would not attempt such an endeavor as you suggest. Nor would I want to be anywhere in the vicinity of someone shooting such a franken-rifle. This is my opinion only and is based on my desire to live long enough to be a problem for my children.

All good advice above unless you have a death wish. Best value to build a 375 CT on would be a 408 Stiller action. Reasonable price and they perform quite well.

Thanks guys. I had read a post that it was possible. I'm skeptical and thought I'd ask a more credible crowd (snipershide group). That would of been the bee's knees if it was possible! Thanks guys!

Well, there are things that are possible and then there are things that are sensible. I prefer to choose things where those subsets cross over.

So with all this said. Can a .375 cheytec be built on a budget of $2600.00? (Minus optics, bipod, reloading supplies)

It's gonna be very close depending on your smith. Mine has just built 6 of them over the last 4 months or so, several of which I have shot. An action is going to run you a minimum of $1200. Barrel, $5-600, you're going to need a "killer" brake, at least $200 if you're lucky, $275 for a Terminator T5 and I wouldn't recommend anything less efficient. You need a killer stock too and a standard A5 or equivilent is too short for a proper balance (I'd go a 32" or longer barrel). So be it a chassis, a McMillian Supermag with the sniper fill (for more stiffness) or ever better one of the new long Manners jobs (about 4" longer than a Supermag) $800-to $1000 there. Chambering, threading for brake (& timing if you go that route), bedding, tax, shipping, yada, yada, could easily put you well over, it really depends on who builds it. Throw in a decent trigger & trigger guard another $300-400 or more. If it was me, I would allow and plan around a budget of $3500 at least and if you can bring it in lower you did good, go out and celebrate! And this is all assuming you have a good relationship with a smith! There are alot of these 375's around these parts and many have easily paid upwards of 7k for them! Good luck, they are really fun rifles to shoot.

Fursniper is not wrong. He has described a top notch and well thought out build. It will not disappoint.

It can be done for less and the results will be there, but just maybe not in the latest package.

But as a .338 LM pea shooter, I do want pretty much what he described above. Ya know, caliber envy...