• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

338LM Build - action, barrel and brake?

garandman

Bad Advice for Free
Banned !
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2009
Huntington WV
Searched with the search feature and was surprised to find nothing on point.

Right now, I'm thinking a Tac338 action with Bartlein barrel, and no idea what brake.

But am open to opinions.

Please post your suggestions and pic here.

I'm firmly settled on another XLR Chassis and Leup MK4 scope.

Thanx.

My homebuilt project that is in the works (meaning "a pile of parts in my pole barn that probably won't get touched until next winter") is utilizing a Stiller Tac338, a Bartlein barrel with 1.35" chamber and a straight taper to 1" (should finish around 29"), and a Badger FTE brake.

My last .338LM came from GAP with the FTE, and it seemed to be a very effective piece - I was extremely pleased with the level of recoil reduction.

Im about to start a 338 build with the same action and barrel. Ive been interested in a CSR brake.

I had purchased a Tac338 action with the intent of building a .338 LM. I intended to go with a Bartlein and Badger brake. It was a nicely machined and finished action, just my place to shoot that kind of range didn't pan out. For the money, a guy can get a TRG for what it costs to build.

Another vote for Stiller Tac 338 Action + Bartlein Barrel + Badger FTE 3/4-24

Stiller Tac 338
Bartlein 5R 1.350 down to 1", 1:9.5 tw at 30"
Allen Precision 5 port Pain Killer brake
AICS 2.0 folder with Viperskins

Build weighs just over 22 lbs and recoil is less than a .308. You could shoot this one all day without shoulder fatigue. Not going to carry it very far though.....

Here's my 338 Lapua Magnum; Built by Mike Bush of BlackOps Precision LLC

- BlackOps Precision Model 911 (Manufactured by Defiance Machine) Action
- BlackOps Precision 20 MOA Rail
- BlackOps Precision Ground Recoil Lug (pinned)
- Bartlein 5R Barrel, 9.3" RH Twist, 27" Finished Length, Fluted, Chambered in .338 Tactical Match
- Surefire FA338SS03 Brake; (not shown Surefire FA338SS quick detach suppressor)
- Accuracy International Chassis System 2.0, OD Green
- Timney Trigger, narrowed andd re-contoured shoe, Tuned to 2.5 lbs
- All metal surfaces Cerakoted to Flat Graphite Black
- Premier Heritage 5-25x56 Scope, Mil/Mil, Gen 2 XR Reticle
- Larue LT-112 QD, 20 MOA Scope Base/Rings
- Atlas Bipod

Apologies for the photo, I know it's not that great.

I had Karl Kampfeld Customs rebarrel my AIAW 338 with a Bartlein and he used a muzzle brake of his own design that works way better than either the old style AI factory brake or the newer SAS brake. I recoils about the same as my 308. I don't know if it's the same one he uses on his custom hunting rifles or similar, but it really works!