• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.338LM, Modular Rifle or Dedicated? Pros/Cons?

Strykervet

ain'T goT no how whaTchamacalliT
Minuteman
  • Jun 5, 2011
    Pierce County, WA
    So I'm interested in getting a .338 here someday. Prices have really come down over the last several years and there are lots more to choose from. Still costly for the high end ones though. I already have an Elite Iron .338 suppressor and M18x1RH Brake mount, but I believe I can trade that back in for a mount in another pitch, though many I looked at are available in M18x1RH anyway.

So I was looking at the AIMX rifles, the modular ones that can convert to .300WM (something I may be interested in) and .308. The Army chose a Remington rifle like this, but it's more than the others as is the new TRG M10. I also was looking at the Surgeon Remedy with the AIMX stock, it didn't say if it was modular or not though. Then there's the Barrett MRAD and FN Ballista. Also the Cadex Patriot Lite and others. I was considering a TRG42, then considered building my own until I saw these and the prices.

Anyway, what's the deal with modular rifles like this? Are they as accurate as a dedicated setup? What about repeatability when changing calibers (because they claim it can be done it the field in one or two minutes)? Pros and cons please? I'm just kinda confused here as I don't have any experience with these modular .338 rifles and I have none readily available to inspect or test. I'm sure some of you have though.

Looking for long range accuracy of course, best "bang for the buck" too but I want what I want, length isn't that important and most have adj. folding stocks w/monopod/spikes installed or rails for them which I'd like, but I would like to keep it on the lighter side for a 26 or 27 inch barrel or so. Extra MOA is fine, even desired, but I need room on the rail for QD NV/Thermal devices in front of a PM2 5x25 or similar. I'd like a detachable mag of 5+ rounds, smooth, quality bolt and action, excellent barrel (no experience with carbon fiber barrels, worth it?) I really like the cold hammer forged SS polygonal rifled barrel the FN Ballista uses. But most all of these .338 rifles use some quality barrel or another, no junk here. But which is best? And again, modular or dedicated?

I have a DTA HTI and I know they make the DTA SRS but while I like the lighter bullpup boltgun .50BMG for various reasons, I don't think I want to spend that on a .338 given the quality and options of the rifles listed above. FWIW, I don't convert the HTI and wish I'd just bought the dedicated AI rifle instead but the HTI does have it's advantages.

Seriously, nothing?

Nobody has anything to say about .338LM rifles that can be field swapped into .300WM and .308 with no zero shift? And they are sub-MOA rifles?

Should I just get whatever I want and if that's an MSR then so be it? I have no experience with these quick barrel swap sniper rifles, that's something we did to MG's but never sniper rifles.

I have a DTA SRS and it'll hold groups 1/2 MOA like any other high end non interchangeable barrel bolt action. I shoot 223, 6.5x47, 308, 300 win mag and 338 lapua through mine. All are very repeatable. I had an AIAT which shot 1/2 MOA as well. Based on that and what everyone else has said the AI AXMC 338 should do you just fine as well if you want a more traditional style rifle. Another option is the MRAD 338.

The only reason I'd get a non quick change barrel is if none of the above options make you happy. I don't think accuracy (holding tight groups) for any of the above options will leave you wanting.

looking at your post again, if you do decide to go interchangeable, I'm not aware of a cheaper option than DTA srs unless you get one of the cheaper ones Europtic has or had in sale for around $4.3k. (Edit: just checked. I guess they sold those. Cheapest MRAD they have is $5.2k now.)

Last edited:
    There's been a lot of discussion here about this lately, if you do a search you can probably find most of them. The AXMC is incredible and has lots of fans here (as well as a few for sale in the PX). I just purchased a 6.5 conversion for mine and the difference between 300NM and 6.5CM was a vertical adjustment of .2 mils. Accuracy is great for both calibers. Lots of fans here for the Barrett MRAD as well with great reports of accuracy. DTA is also a very popular option. All of the options you mentioned are very respected and should make you happy. Decide which one fits your budget or wow factor needs and roll with it.

For 1 caliber, I wouldn't go a Maltings calibre capable route... For 2, I'd consider it. And it saves you money if you want 3 calibers. I don't feel like my mrad gives up anything with regards to accuracy, and I only had to buy one Nightcore scope for my '3 rifles'

With 338 swapping calibers is very time consuming and expensive. I think it's best to just have a 338 setup for a load and ready to go for long range to eliminate all variables.

I tried the rapid caliber switch rifle idea and I ended up regressing in accuracy. There's always swapping stuff around, then needing to re-test the zero, then fiddling with scopes, etc. I spent a lot more time at the 100 yard line than shooting longer distances as a result with limited range time. I just ended up leaving the rifle as one caliber mostly because it became a hassle.

The rapid swap caliber rifles are fine in accuracy when settled down, but they introduce a lot of new variables into the consistency of the shooter side of things. I prefer having a rifle for what I want to shoot in that caliber in my safe ready to go. I just reach in and grab the rifle and ammo and go out. I don't have to think about what might have changed, or if I'm shooting poorly if the rifle is causing an issue with being loose, etc.

Last edited:
    I'de have to say that an MRAD or an AI, will do a pretty good job of returning to zero when the barrel for which the scope is zeroed is reinstalled. OK it is always a good idea to take a shot to verify it, but that is all it takes. If you are going to reset the zero each time you change barrels (which is probable the best practice) then it should only take two shots to zero a newly installed barrel if you have a scope like a S&B. For the savings of not having to purchase several rifles you can get the S&B 3-27X56. If it is taking you more than two shots to Zero your S&B then you need to understand it better.

I don't expect to ever see any of the better shooters on the Hide blaming misses on their AI or MRAD switch barrel system.

The added bonus is that when you need a new barrel, just get one and put it in. You can still keep the old barrel for those times when you don't need the best accuracy. Say you are going to practice shooting off hand or you are introducing a new shooter, there is no need to wear out your match barrel. Just put the old barrel on and have fun without worrying about your match barrel being used up.

Between the MRAD and the AI:

I like the mags in the MRAD better
    I like that every MRAD barrel comes with its own bolt face

I like the way the recoil pad on the AI adjusts to fit the crease of my shoulder perfectly
    I like the fact that the AI barrels don't have a "shroud" and so any one can make one for you

Last edited:
    Thanks a lot, that's the kind of responses I was looking for!

Search on here doesn't work as well as it used to (it was iffy back then). I keep trying though.

I got the HTI with the intention of doing caliber swaps with .375CT --a better option than .338LM. But it was costly, I'd rather have put that into another rifle to be honest. .375 is too costly for me to add into the arsenal anyway. So that's why I wish I'd just bought a dedicated .50BMG. I always liked that AI .50. Oh well.

So I didn't consider the cost of the caliber swap and I'd probably rather just get a dedicated .300WM down the road if I went that direction. I'd rather use the money for the swap to go towards a dedicated rifle, either one I build or another.

With that in mind, the option of caliber swaps would be an asset if it doesn't raise the price or reduce accuracy or reliability. Having the ability of using X brand barrel would be great too, I'll keep that in mind.

I've heard the Barrett rifles just aren't as accurate as the others. But I haven't fired any of them. This may have been the 98B but it may have been the MRAD. I really like the Surgeon in the AIMX stock, I wonder if I could build it for less, and I like the FN Ballista because that's the one with the hammer forged polygonal rifling IIRC. But I've heard of sloppy accuracy from FN in general too when it comes to true precision. Don't want another DTA, nothing against them, I just have the HTI and it's great for what it is but I do want more of a traditional rifle for the .338LM. Prefer cut rifling or cold hammer forged barrels.

What do you guys have or plan on getting? What would you get if could have anything, and why? $8500 or less.

Perhaps a slightly different route, but I found a slightly used dedicated 338lm from SAC to scratch the big bore itch. It's been great so far...when I shoot it, that is. Not the one I grab very often.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OK so pro/con of modular rifles:

Pros
    -sharing of optic
    -cheaper and faster barrel replacement (no smithing costs or waiting times)
    -caliber options
    -very accurate in known systems
    -cost savings to train (shooting 308 or something else in the same chassis as your 338).
    -resell value

Cons
    -more expensive for initial purchase
    -dedicated rifles may be more accurate (I'm not stating this, just for arguments sake)
    -difficulty of support if needed?
    -caliber limited in factory options
    -weight
    -accessories/options are limited

I'm sure its not a complete list and you can 100% justify going modular or dedicated rifle on cost alone if you are budget limited the single caliber rifle is cheaper. If I want 3 or 4 calibers then the conversions are cheaper than new rifles and I can save the cost of additional scopes....... Any of the pro/con reasons can be used to go either direction in your purchase. I've got dedicated rifles that I love and in the end I'm trying out the modular stuff now. In my experience accuracy is not a deciding factor as the AXMC and MRAD are both sub MOA - and every other brand has their loyal following as well.

I will say if I had the money to spend I would do the modular again because even if I decide to sell it in the end they seem to hold their value over a dedicate rifle as I can count on being able to drop another barrel on and be back to having a new rifle. With a dedicated gun it has to be sent off and another barrel installed - not the end of the world but I just bought it and I WANT to shoot it!

In the end its your money, just decide which needs/wants are the more important

I've been talking to West Texas Ordinance (WTO) about building a rifle with their new SwitchLug. According to them, there is zero loss of accuracy/accuracy potential (compared to a single caliber build from them) but that there's a max POI shift of .5moa on a barrel change; and often .25moa shift. I believe the .5 shift is a guarantee. A buddy of mine will have his SwitchLug build finished (by WTO) in another couple weeks. I can't wait to give it a try. If you have an interest in a switchbarrel rifle, you might want to look at them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The way I look at is how much will it be shot and do you want to have that much money in a rifle and scope for long range shooting. For example, I don't have anywhere close to shoot past 700 yards that is nearby so it is hard to justify a magnum of any sort. I decided a desert tech was the way to go for me, I can have a conversion for the once or twice year I do stretch out. I couldn't justify 6 or 7k in a rifle/scope that I would hardly use.

Whoever said the MRAD wasn't accurate has never shot one or lacks the basic skill set to shoot anything. I have an MRAD in 338 and it's shoot 1/2 inch. Ask any MRAD owner and they will agree. If you went MRAD or AIAX you wouldn't be wrong. Don't waste money on the Remington version.

CF834F02-E653-4976-A9CD-E33D2EBC1044_zpsixfti8gw.jpg

Shots 6-8 (1-5 were sight in and start of break in) out of my 338.

Last edited: