• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

338LM starting load

itsnick

Private
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2010
Illinois
Does anyone have any suggestions on a starting point load to work from for 338LM? I have looked in a couple reloading manuals, just wanted to get some input from people here.

McMillan TAC-338
27" barrel
1 in 10 twist

Thank you for any input.

Re: 338LM starting load

Sorry I have none, but I would love to know if anyone has any info on the reloads from Barns 338LM in 285 grain. Has anyone fired this pill down range, any data and grouping info would be greatly appreciated.

26" barrel 1-9 twist
heavier slower pills seem to do better for my BA-110
but going on a hunt in the CA Condor Range so I need lead free and the Barns seems to be the better pills according to the weight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmithE-6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry I have none, but I would love to know if anyone has any info on the reloads from Barns 338LM in 285 grain. Has anyone fired this pill down range, any data and grouping info would be greatly appreciated.

26" barrel 1-9 twist
heavier slower pills seem to do better for my BA-110
but going on a hunt in the CA Condor Range so I need lead free and the Barns seems to be the better pills according to the weight. </div></div>

Keep in mind Barnes BC's suck in comparison to most other bullets. If you're hunting at "standard" hunting ranges it won't be an issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hdwelder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone have any suggestions on a starting point load to work from for 338LM? I have looked in a couple reloading manuals, just wanted to get some input from people here.

McMillan TAC-338
27" barrel
1 in 10 twist

Thank you for any input. </div></div>

What bullet are you interested in? Go into the reloading depot at the top of the page. That is where the load data is located.

sako trg 42 1-10
300 smk, col 3.650

retumbo started 90 and worked to 93.5

my gun like
92gr = 2684fps @ 300y 3 shot group = .428 and 5 shot = 1.856
93.5 = 2791fps @ 300y 3 shot group = .575 and 5 shot = 1.041
these where shot at -15c and 980m

Also did some load testing with the 92 in warmer weather.
92gr 2725fps @ 0c and 980m

Look like i lose 3 fps for every 1c in temp change with retumbo. Is that good or not?

I bought a bunch of reloading supplies a while ago from a guy that was getting out of 338LM reloading. I have SMK 250 and 300 gr bullets along with some Hornady 250 gr bthp match and 250gr scenars. I read somewhere here that the 250 gr bullets like RE-25 and the 300's like the retumbo. I would like to start working with the 250gr first then work up to the 300's.

Also will be using federal 215m primers with lapua brass. Thanks Mavrick, lots of good data there.

Thank you Mavrick, any Lead Free rounds you would recomend me using instead of Barns, would hate to dissipoint, looking at a max range of 800 yards on about a 300 lbs pig. Keep in mind I do have a 1 in 9 twist and have never experimented with Lead free ammo.

Over the weekend I shot the following load but I did this just to pop the cherry on the gun as I do not have a scope for it so I can not tell you the accuracy nor do I have a Chrono but, it felt good and the were no pressure signs.

250gr SMK
93 gr H1000
Remington Magnum Primer
(Not Crimped)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmithE-6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you Mavrick, any Lead Free rounds you would recomend me using instead of Barns, would hate to dissipoint, looking at a max range of 800 yards on about a 300 lbs pig. Keep in mind I do have a 1 in 9 twist and have never experimented with Lead free ammo. </div></div>

Barnes are going to be your least expensive lead free alternative. For 250's I'd consider H4831SC for your powder start about 85.5gr Max will depend upon your chamber etc but there's usually a good higher node around 88-88.3gr. Work up slowly.

For Lead free bullet options you may want to look at the Hornady GMX as well .338 225gr ballistic tip similar to AMAX,. Probably a higher BC than Barnes. Look to be a little less expensive on Midsouth Shooters site as well.