• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

35 Whelen, A great round being forgotten.

Not sure if anyone is still monitoring this thread, but we have new 35 Whelen brass in stock for those of you that like to have the right headstamp.

Attachments

• 35 whelen.jpg
    35 whelen.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 22
Just not shooting my big gun much anymore. Depending on the .25-06 for gun hunting but one never knows when time is running out and I have to hunt traditional. The the “little” Whelen comes out (CVA Scout). I load it light because its Brenda’s rifle but at the ranges we shoot it, it does a job with .35 Remington bullets. (Even killed a deer with a 158 grain Sierra Soft Point designed for the .357 Magnum). The Whelen is such a versatile hunting rifle and the big gun, a Shaw barreled Ruger Model 77 MK II, is a real tac driver.

As usual, when I need brass, its never available. right now I have plenty but normally by the time I need it…I wind up resizing .30-06 brass. Of course, been doing that since the days when Remington had not yet ramped up production of .25-06 brass and the only way to shoot my brand new Remington 700 was to neck down .30-06 cases. Those were days long, long ago. Boy do I miss them. Reloading with a Lee Loader and an RCBS beam scale. All I could afford. Used the Lee dipper to get close to the charge and then trickle the powder charge to correct weight with a dinner spoon. Had to pour some powder into a soup bowl. (I would say, don’t tell mom, but we lost her in 1997.). The Lee Loader did a very good job but I still hate the occasional primer that would discharge. Never hurt anyone/anything, but sure was unsettling to this newly returned Vietnam veteran. I miss that old rifle and how well it shot for its time. Now, couldn’t hold a candle to the Weatherby Vanguard, which even today was an unbelievable bargain.

View attachment 8287331View attachment 8287347Just got my custom build from the smith. Keeping the old cartridge alive.
Old m77 mkii 30-06 donated the action, bottom metal, and trigger.
Trigger smoothed out and lower weight springs installed.
B&C sporter epoxy bedded.
Action trued and lugs lapped.
Wilson #4 1-12” twist barrel finished at 22” and threaded 9/16x24 for a suppressor
Still need some glass for it so I can hit the range.

I've been beating up this "collector item" for quite a few years. My go to for deer and bear in the woods of PA. 250gr interlok at approx 2450.
Surprisingly, 3 shot groups consistently less than 1" @ 100yd
20231130_074437.jpg

20231125_074501.jpg

Edit: Oops, forgot this was bolt action section.

Here in Louisiana, it can be used in primitive hunting season in a single shot style. Local gun shop that I work part time at probably sold 200 of them last deer season. Barnes makes a pretty good load for it along with Hornady.
Same in ms.

Strange that it qualifies as “primitive” with a power level awefully close to a 338 win mag but I ain’t complaining.
It’s a Mississippi law, that since Louisiana and Mississippi have reciprocal licensing, it made sense for Louisiana to maintain identical regulations.

Basically, any muzzle loading blackpowder firearm, single shot, .44 cal or larger AND, any single shot, smokeless powder firearm, with an exposed hammer and a caliber of .35 or larger is allowed. Also, a telescopic sight is legal in all cases.

So, firearms such as the Ruger #1 are not legal (no exposed hammer) multi-shot, very primitive blackpowder firearms muzzleloading or cartridge, are not legal, but rifles such as the TC Contender, CVA Scout, etc are legal as long as the round is larger than .35 caliber. So, .35 Remington, .358 Winchester, .35 Whelen, 38-55, 375 Winchester, .444 Marlin, .45-70, .357, 44 Magnum, are all legal as long as it is a single shot, with an exposed hammer.

Brenda’s CVA Scout, in .35 Whelen, suing a 180 grain Speer designed for the 35 Remington, shooting at 2500 FPS is really hard on Whitetail deer. Hit em right, or ground, bloodshot hamburger is all you’re gonna get.

IMG_0984.jpeg

They don’t go far and they bleed a lot.

Last edited:
This is a caliber I was very impressed with once I got to reloading and playing with it. Reloading was easy as well, I used a like new Remington 700 stainless and had the barrel re-bored locally in Alberta. 1:12 gain twist 24" and it shoots! I get 2800 fps with Nosler Accubonds, Partitions or Sierra Game Kings. I added a trigger tech trigger, a brake and a very decent Leupold VXII. I did plenty of testing on some fine bullets from 200 grain Hornady and TTSX to the Accubonds, no losers in the bunch and it hits like a hammer.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231208_120808_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231208_120808_Gallery.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20231208_120724_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231208_120724_Gallery.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20231208_120753_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231208_120753_Gallery.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 34
This is a caliber I was very impressed with once I got to reloading and playing with it. Reloading was easy as well, I used a like new Remington 700 stainless and had the barrel re-bored locally in Alberta. 1:12 gain twist 24" and it shoots! I get 2800 fps with Nosler Accubonds, Partitions or Sierra Game Kings. I added a trigger tech trigger, a brake and a very decent Leupold VXII. I did plenty of testing on some fine bullets from 200 grain Hornady and TTSX to the Accubonds, no losers in the bunch and it hits like a hammer.
2800 with a 225gr bullet?

Yes sir, CFE 223 (Speer Manual Max) Varget (59.5 grs) I think I got a little more speed from the 24 inch gain twist barrel. Varget was just under 2800 and CFE 223 was just over 2800 fps. This with the Accubond really gives the caliber some decent range and hits damn hard. If you review the bullet pics in retained weight the accubonds did better than the Partitions! I had a load for a friend for the 200 grain Barnes TTSX that was 2950 fps!

Attachments

• 35_Whelen_220.pdf
    325.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 35_Whelen_250.pdf
    324.4 KB · Views: 32
Northern Viking, Were any of the Nosler bullets finicky with seating depth, or powder loads?
Thanks

No.....maybe the barrel but all the 225 grain bullets shot about into an inch group @ 100 yards. I would rank Varget as the most consistent and CFE 223 with more speed. Easy to load for, not fussy, predictable powder increases, I use Remington Headstamped brass, but in a pinch I would use any quality 30-06 brass and size up. I know more than one using Lapua 06 brass. It comes out slightly short but no issues. Even the 200 grain Hornady bullets did very well in the test media (impressed) and the less expensive 250 grain Speers @ 2650 fps did awesome. IMR 4064 does very well too.

Attachments

• 35-Whelen-200gr-version-9-0.pdf
    878 KB · Views: 33
  • 35-Whelen-225gr-version-9-0.pdf
    873.2 KB · Views: 33
Reactions: Earnhardt
I’ll be loading 250gr speer hot core and 225 Barnes tsx with varget. Curious what I can squeeze out of the 22” barrel.

The 2 inches of barrel wont make much difference. The Whelen is efficient for sure. 64 grains of CFE 223 is moving. Alliant Power Pro 2000-MR is rated at 2709 out of a 24" barrel with the 250 grain HotCor.....now that's in their manual but it has a lot of potential. Book max so start out lower LOL.

1702065913611.png
Varget and IMR 4064 are in the same range (not the same powder) I would bet with the 225 Barnes you could start 55 grains of Varget and role up to around 59.0 grains on top.

A .35 Whelen might expand but a .45-70 won't shrink.

ETA: lol I'm being a smart ass... 35 Whelen is going nowhere. To my (and many of my coworkers') bemusement, 35 Whelen is surprisingly popular in the grand scheme of things...

I’m pretty proud of getting 2580 FPS with Nosler Ballistic Tips with a stiff load of BLC-2. It makes a bang and it kills critters.

Ruger 77MK II, 22in Shaw barrel face trued mounted in Houge stock.

Reactions: Timo494
Still factory ammo available for it. I think the real enthusiast’s are likely hand-loading it in custom guns anyway. When I was pondering my bear/large game rifle I considered it strongly, but eventually went 338-06. Way more bullet selection.
The Whelen was my first rifle, in a 7600, and you have a really strong point there- there's a much greater selection of .338 bullets than .358, and the new stuff will be available in .338 in ways that it won't in .358.

It's been fun to see the Whelen become rediscovered in TCs and CVAs for primitive deer hunting, I feel like that really helped the cartridge. Whelen niche, to me, it seems, is in running .358 pistol bullets loaded like a heavy .357 Magunum carbine (maybe suppressed), and being able to cycle the action to get a full-power shot. On the other hand, if there are 165 - 250 grain .338 bullets design to expand/shed weight in the 1,000 - 2,000 fps range, then that would be another reason for .338-06.

Reactions: Dead Eye Dick
It would be amazing to wake up one day and see that Hornady makes .358 bullets to match the .338s - a 200 SST, 230 ELD-X and 265 ELD-X in particular. We’ll never get an ELD-M of course, and more is the pity. Lots of overlap between the two bores, weight wise, the .358 is a “truer” medium bore in my eyes.

I’ve been thinking about a Whelen just because you can get factory ammo for it at surprisingly reasonable prices. I‘d prefer a .358 Norma or .358 Newton… but I don’t prefer having niche cartridges for which hunting the brass is harder than hunting game, and ammo is hand load only.

Who wants to join my letter writing campaign to Weatherby? I told them they should do a .35 RPM.

Thankfully, no one seems to chamber a .35 anything, so no pressure to buy something ;-). Not that I’m not excited about the $14k Griffin and Howe commemorative Whelen, but it’s not really my jam.

I was surprised to see this thread on the Hide! I've been shooting a variety of Whelens for about 40 years, killed a black bear with a Brown Improved 35 Whelen at about 40 yards and moose up in British Columbia at 565 yards with a 35 Whelen 225gr Bear Claw out of a Dakota Model 10.

Any one use the Barnes 180 or 200 TTSX in their Whelen?
I’m having mixed results with these… hit anything dense…great knockdown.
Hit the vitals, with just a rib or 2… small entrance and exit….
But man are they accurate!

Reactions: Bakwa
I second the Hammers. Waiting for my Whelen to come back from my brother’s to start load development.

I just finished her in November... Tikka t3x with xcal barrel..sitting in a greyboe with a arken on top!

A week later I put lower rings on it... The rifle is an absolute hammer... I cannot wait to get it on some deer, elk and some pigs!!!!

Attachments

• KIMG20231102_204547313.JPG
    KIMG20231102_204547313.JPG
    427.3 KB · Views: 13
  • KIMG20231018_125902204.JPG
    KIMG20231018_125902204.JPG
    259.9 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: DJL2 and Timo494