• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

375 case and projectile for best velocity stability ?

Clearlight

Minuteman
Jul 23, 2014
Brisbane Australia
I’m seeing a lot of options around for ELR in 375 cal. I’m also seeing a lot of trash talk about whose case
came from where, and how individuals think they or their guy has the best design. What I’m not finding
online is solid data; how many fps increase after # of shots, barrel fouling and cleaning regime, barrel life
etc etc. Must be magazine friendly, not single load.

My only experience previously is with 375 Chey and sierras, issued equipment so no opportunity to do a
long series of detailed records of fps vs round count using a chrono, just dope records.

Hypothetical question: if you were setting up a training facility using 375 cal rifles, to be used regularly by
groups of shooters every weekend, which 375 case and bullet combo would be most economical?
All consumable costs including brass and barrel life? Ammunition would be hand loads, AMP annealed,
loaded by an employee with more than adequate experience.

Would prefer a solid over a jacketed projectile, otherwise we would not see enough of a significant
ballistic advantage over our existing 338Imp/ 300 Berger option. 375 EnABELR with Bergers or CE looks
like the best option so far.

Reactions: surgeon260
I am my second barrel for my 375CT. The bullets that have had the best luck with are the Cutting Edge 400 Lazer also the 377 Mtac The 400 Lazer in my new 34 in 1-7 twist barrel shot .364 moa when i zeroed last Sunday. I shot18 rounds and got 3066 avg FPS with SD of 7.7. I did get a box of the Berger 379’s and am going to try them this weekend to see how the work. I am loading the 400’s with 131.5 of N570. I am seating them 10 of the lands. I have seen issues with the 375 enabler brass separation after 1 and 2 firing . The Peterson brass I use I am able to get 8 firings before I had one fail( case head separation) was the issue The primer pockets never loosened up.

Last edited:
I am my second barrel for my 375CT. The bullets that have had the best luck with are the Cutting Edge 400 Lazer also the 377 Mtac The 400 Lazer in my new 34 in 1-7 twist barrel shot .364 moa when i zeroed last Sunday. I shot18 rounds and got 3066 avg FPS with SD of 7.7. I did get a box of the Berger 379’s and am going to try them this weekend to see how the work. I am loading the 400’s with 131.5 of N570. I am seating them 10 of the lands. I have seen issues with the 375 enabler brass separation after 1 and 2 firing . The Peterson brass I use I am able to get 8 firings before I had one fail( case head separation) was the issue The primer pockets never loosened up.

375EnABELR case head separation issue was swept under the rug I feel. Mine were separating after 1 firing. Found out later through my gunsmith and his inquires with reamer manufacturer and Peterson was that the reamer print verses the case spec were too vastly different and thus we have case head separation, obviously. Measuring a fired case that didn’t separate against an unfired cases and it was also obvious.

From what I remember hearing from the gunsmith, there we’re probably 8 other pissed off guys dealing with the same issue. I also noticed shortly after that AB stopped selling rifles to the civilian market. This isn’t a stab at AB. I want that to be clear. I like AB. I know some of their team shooters. But these are just the facts. Somewhere along the lines these case dimension and chamber dimensions were over looked. After spending around 10-12k on my rifle, barrels, brass, bullets, and so on and I can’t even shoot the damn thing.

I have a batch of RCC brass spec’d for my chamber since I had three barrels chambered in 375EnABELR. Only issue is I’ve been stuck overseas due to covid so I’m not sure how the brass will perform.

Personally, OP, if I was you, go with the 375CheyTac. Why? There’s more data out there for it. Lost of shooters use them. Gunsmiths have the correct reamers and brass. It’s a know quality and performance.

Hell, a 408CheyTac might be a better option if they have better Barrel life and IF bullet cost is equal to 375 bullets. You’d have to work out the cost for bullets and cost to rebarrel your actions to see if you’d come ahead. Since the rifles are for training people, they don’t have to have the best ballistics: 375 vs 408.

Reactions: secondofangle2
Funny to read the comments on the EnABELR. I have two. 338 and 375 with multiple firings on brass. Four firings on 338 and two on 375 brass.

Only issue I had was powder charge from the EnABELR article which is probably from Quickload. Not knocking QL but it can make a mistake.
I use 24n41 in the 375 and H50BMG in the 338.
Peterson brass in both and brass still specs out.

Reactions: oneshot.onehit
Funny to read the comments on the EnABELR. I have two. 338 and 375 with multiple firings on brass. Four firings on 338 and two on 375 brass.

Only issue I had was powder charge from the EnABELR article which is probably from Quickload. Not knocking QL but it can make a mistake.
I use 24n41 in the 375 and H50BMG in the 338.
Peterson brass in both and brass still specs out.

how is it funny?
When did you have yours built? I had mine built right when the reamers were released for sale and so did another guy I know. Both of us had the problems I mentioned. I don’t think it’s funny. I’d like my money and time back.

Funny strange, that you’re having that issue. Before they stopped building rifles AB built both my 338/375 EnABELR rifles.

sorry to read it wasn’t a good experience.

375-338 Lm ai. Has way better barrel life. Burns way less powder and is only about 100 fps slower.

It's also Mag friendly. Has more brass availably. And is a superior round imo.

The chey tac is better necked up to .408 or. 416

375-338 Lm ai. Has way better barrel life. Burns way less powder and is only about 100 fps slower.

It's also Mag friendly. Has more brass availably. And is a superior round imo.

The chey tac is better necked up to .408 or. 416
I dis agree all under powered

I’m curious to see how you like the Berger 379’s. I’m thinking of trying them also when I build my rifle. Berger’s site says use a 1-8 twist but the twist calculator shows the 1-7 to be better. I see you are using a 1-7 twist barrel. So I’m hoping you have good luck with them. They seem to be pretty available.

I did shoot about 35 of the 379 Bergers from a partial box and the seemed to work well. I have had such good luck with the 400CE and the added cost of the 379's I am going to stay with the CE's for the life of this barrel.

I did shoot about 35 of the 379 Bergers from a partial box and the seemed to work well. I have had such good luck with the 400CE and the added cost of the 379's I am going to stay with the CE's for the life of this barrel.
Thanks for the input. The Berger’s seem to be the only bullet I can find At the moment. Looks like finding powder will be the impossible part of this build. I hate to order all these parts and not be able to get powder.

Yes powder is tough to get. I have had good luck with Cutting Edge on backorders so you could try them.. Give them a call they have very good to deal with for me.

I recently got an order for (2) 375CT rifles and informed the customer that finding powders will be an issue. I placed a $5200 powder order yesterday that I probably won't see for another 6 months. I also advised the customer to stay away from the improved versions unless he was ready to go deep down the rabbit hole.