• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.375 H&H magnum; crimping or not crimping?

Tango down

Minuteman
Dec 2, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Hi guys

Different opinions on crimping or not crimping when reloading for a .375 H&H mag.

Advocates of crimping say:
Increased accuracy, more reliability for dangerous games, some mentioned that their bullets (inside the mag) were going back 5mm in the case (due to recoil), if not crimped. Crimping required for .375 H&H.

Advocates for not crimping say:
Crimping decrease accuracy, they have no problem with bullet moving back in the case (inside the mag), no need for crimping on .375 H&H.

I have been extensively reloading for a couple of years (.308 and 7.62x54r). Nevertheless, I have no knowledge of crimping whatsoever, as I never had a need for it, until now.

My questions are:
Should a .375 H&H mag be crimped?
Does it increase, or decrease, accuracy?

I appreciate all help on this matter. I will eventually find out by myself, through trials and errors but knowing what other shooters/hunters experienced is always a bonus ;)
Ombre noire

Crimping without a canelure? Heavy enough to raise pressure? I understand the concern about cartridges in the magazine with recoil pushing a non crimped bullet deeper into the neck.

Possible option might be bushing dies in which you deduct 2 or possibly 3 thousandths instead of one, as Redding recommends. Another; find a powder where you can develop a compressed load which might resist the recoil?

On the other hand, you can just try your load and measure the rounds under the bolt. Maybe you have nothing to worry about? BB

I've shot a few thousand rds of .375 H&H over the years in three different bolt guns; a pair of M-70's and a Rem Custom shop 700. I never crimped my hand loads in any of them and never noticed any setback.
YMMV but I never had any issues.

Funny thing was I did have some setback with my light .338-06 and 250 gr slugs. So bought a relatively cheap LEE "factory crimp" die. That solved the issue.

The LEE FCD's are cheap and would probably set your mind at ease.

FN in MT

I have never crimped my 375 H&H hand loads and have never run into a problem with the bullets moving however they do sit on top of a compressed load. I did pull some of my hand loads this week and the neck tension with a .373 expander ball gave me enough neck tension I had to use quite a lot of force to remove the bullets (collet puller).

I load for my Rem 700 in .375 Ackley Improved, and do not crimp. (A 375 H&H that has the shoulder moved forward, and the case taper made strait). I can shoot factory 375 H&H and they come out fire formed. I measured rounds that I had loaded, and stuffed them in the mag, and had a buddy show me how much of a man he was, by shooting 15 rounds from the standing position. Strange thing, 1. he was ok for the first 3 rounds, but then couldn't hit nothing after that, 2. The 2 rounds that were in the mag, stayed the same length. So I vote no crimp. J.

Thanks to all for your replies
I have been getting as much info as possible of the subject, as well as talking (PM) with different shooters/hunters, from Africa to Alaska and there are definitely two schools on this subject, with both sides of good faith.
One fact is, for the ones using a crimp, the Lee Factory Crimp Die is working well and seems to be the best option. As "to crimp or not to crimp", it is an old dilemma and I am not going to solve this one now. I will purchase the Lee Pacesetter 3 die set, so I will have the option of a crimp; I will most likely try it both ways but I will "mic" the rounds in the mag after shooting, for the non-crimp ones. I am not planning on shooting hot loads but I like to know what is going on with the big pills down below.
BTW, several shooters use the 210 primers rather than the 215 for their .375 H&H; what do you use and why?
Thanks and good shooting.
Ombre noire

DOES the Pacesetter die set have a standard crimp die...or the FCD?? I'd recommend the FCD.

One planet one cartridge, the .375 H&H

DSCN0207.jpg

I'm in the no crimp fraternity, Grizzly, Moose, Caribou and others to African Leopard and Cape Buffalo among others never had a problem.

There is lots of neck tension in the cartridge and recoil is not as fierce as many people believe, especially when fired offhand.

If you shoot at Desert Sportsman's R&P, look me up.

One planet one cartridge, the .375 H&H

Love that quote.

Anyway I don't crimp my 375 H&H. Tried it on my Model 70 when I first got it in '74. All I got out of it was chambering problems. Having crimped since nor have I had any problems.

However if you do decide to crimp, do it at a separate stage then seating.

DOES the Pacesetter die set have a standard crimp die...or the FCD?? I'd recommend the FCD.

Hi FN in MT
This is the Pacesetter die set description from MidwayUSA:
Product Information
Each Lee Precision has been manufacturing high quality, affordable reloading equipment since 1958. Each Pacesetter 3-Die Set includes the exclusive Lee Factory Crimp Die, Full Length Sizer Die and Bullet Seater Die. Each set is made from steel and includes the appropriate Shellholder, Powder Measure, load data, plastic storage box and a two year warranty. Adjustable crimp from slight taper to full roll.

Technical Information
Dies Included:
Full Length Sizing Die
Bullet Seating Die
Factory Crimp Die

I think it is the same FCD; what do you think?

Ombre noire

Love that quote.

Anyway I don't crimp my 375 H&H. Tried it on my Model 70 when I first got it in '74. All I got out of it was chambering problems. Having crimped since nor have I had any problems.

However if you do decide to crimp, do it at a separate stage then seating.

Hi kraigWY
You always have good advises and I will take this one in (high) consideration ;)
If I do decide to crimp some reloads, to compare with the no-crimp ones, it will be done in a separated stage than seating, as I am looking at the Lee Factory Crimp Die.
Ombre noire

DSCN0207.jpg

I'm in the no crimp fraternity, Grizzly, Moose, Caribou and others to African Leopard and Cape Buffalo among others never had a problem.

There is lots of neck tension in the cartridge and recoil is not as fierce as many people believe, especially when fired offhand.

If you shoot at Desert Sportsman's R&P, look me up.

Hi 308sako
Great pic!
DSRP, I go there often. I am due to go there as soon as I received mo'bullets (there are in the UPS truck for now, or that's what Midway says anyway...), as I have to establish new dope for an old rifle. I will send you a PM before I go, few days ahead.
I received a great deal of answers on the "to crimp or not to crimp?" issue. I did not know that it was a "Dodge or Chevy?" kind of a question...but I do now ;)
That is with the exception of the ones who actually had issues with bullets moving back inside the cases; for them, the case is closed and the choice obvious. Nevertheless, it seems that a majority of shooters/hunters do not crimp the .375 H&H.
I will be glad to hear your comments first hand.
Ombre noire